LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need some guidance on my turbo selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some guidance on my turbo selection

I have decided to ditch the spray and while I have the motor apart get it ready to see some positive pressure, Here is a basic run down of what I have and what I am going to want out of the set-up, Studded and girdled stock block .030 over, arp rod bolts, stock crank/rods, dished/forged blower pistons (havent bought yet so would like suggestions for around 9:1) stock heads, gasket matched with LT4 springs, 1.6 RR's, LE ported intake 58MM TB, turbo cam (again not decided on specs so i am looking for input) LS7 lifters, A1000 flowing the fuel, around 60# injectors (again advice needed) LTCC kit with more then likely an MSD opti, suggestion on plugs needed, then a braked th400 behind it with a convertor that will match this set-up,

Where i really need the advice is in the turbo selection would a T67 with a .81 A/R hot side be a good match with this set-up to make 550 reliable HP at around 7-9 PSI without choking it out or should i go bigger on the exhaust side, from the info I have on this charger it will flow enough air to feed 700 HP which is way more then i want right now but would be nice if i have room to go bigger if I want to in the future.

Please feel free to make constructive critiscm to my selections just dont flame the **** out of me im 21 and learning every day so with that in mind post away!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a similiar setup with realquicks hot parts, T76, stock heads with lt4 springs, stock cam, stock intake, stock tb, 11lbs and times in the sig with a STOCK th400 that was slipping.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LT4 springs are probably about right for controlling a STOCK cam once you figure the positive pressure on the back of the intake valves.

Been pretty well covered that gasket matching otherwise unported heads is a poor choice. Might work OK with boost but why bother.

Why use LS7 lifters with all those other stock parts? Money would be infinetely better spent on good springs to match whatever cam you decide on.

What on earth is leading you to want to put over $1000 in LTCC and MSD opti?? I see a BLIND will to **** away money on whatever is most expensive without ANY understanding of things. IMO either do the LTCC or an MSD cap and rotor, stay the hell away from the MSD opti.

Plugs are going to need to be little cold, I would start at NGK TR6 or Autolite 103.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by skinnies
I ran a similiar setup with realquicks hot parts, T76, stock heads with lt4 springs, stock cam, stock intake, stock tb, 11lbs and times in the sig with a STOCK th400 that was slipping.
I was the one that PM'd you about that and im sure I will have many more questions regarding your set up
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

A T67 will not get you to your goals (550rwhp @ 7-9psi), especially with stock heads. You will need a T76 .96A/r (preferably a T76GTS) to get close to that.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
LT4 springs are probably about right for controlling a STOCK cam once you figure the positive pressure on the back of the intake valves.

Been pretty well covered that gasket matching otherwise unported heads is a poor choice. Might work OK with boost but why bother.

Why use LS7 lifters with all those other stock parts? Money would be infinetely better spent on good springs to match whatever cam you decide on.

What on earth is leading you to want to put over $1000 in LTCC and MSD opti?? I see a BLIND will to **** away money on whatever is most expensive without ANY understanding of things. IMO either do the LTCC or an MSD cap and rotor, stay the hell away from the MSD opti.

Plugs are going to need to be little cold, I would start at NGK TR6 or Autolite 103.
Thank you for the critiscm honestly it is the best way for me to learn without wasting money and/or ******* parts up.

If I wasnt going to have the engine down to the bare block I would probably go with the stock cam and use the LT4 springs to work with it as you are saying to better match the springs to the cam that makes perfect sense. Do you think that going with a "Turbo" cam would be worth while expense while having the engine torn down? I had read that the LS7 lifters were a good upgrade for the LT1 with an aftermarket cam/ valve springs. If OE replacements will suffice for the power level that I am looking for then that is fine. I picked up a complete LTCC kit a while back and while I understand the basic concept of the kit I do not know the condition of the opti on the engine right now so I plan on replacing it either way. Again, if a stock opti will suffice with the LTCC kit then again a cost savings there plus the fact that this is a 93 engine so I would like to go to the vented opti anyways. Thank you for the advice on the plugs what is the best way to tell if i need to go colder on the plugs?

Now for the actual turbo selection would the T67 I mentioned in my first post be a good choice or would a T76 with a little bigger A/R hotside be a better choice?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ninety4three4

Now for the actual turbo selection would the T67 I mentioned in my first post be a good choice or would a T76 with a little bigger A/R hotside be a better choice?
One post up
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Yea you posted up while I was typing my last response
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before you decide on a turbo check with DrTurbo to see what he would suggest! i would use a larger turbo than a 67.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=59838
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

thanks for the lead I will definatley contact him, you guys that are out there that have built a FI set-up what would be a good choice for pistons/headgaskets in this application to acheive a 8.5-1 to 9:1 compression ratio with stock heads?

Quick Reply: Need some guidance on my turbo selection