LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

hey just a quick question, i see ai has all forged motors for sale but will these pass emissions? I live in az and i have a 94 z28 so i have to do the sniffer test i dont get to just plug and pass like the newer lt1 guys. Im wanting to find out all my best options i want my car to run low 12's or high 11's and still pass smog any info would be awesome.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

lol, pass the tech a $100 and see if the car passes then! Thats what i had to do, lol. Not exactly the most honest way but w/e.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Forged Motor does have anything to do with wheather or not you pass emissions. Your Camshaft, EGR, and Exhaust make up most of the error area's.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

well i know that but im just saying if im pushing a forged motor with long tubes and a catted y and gmmg catback and i have the heads and cam done and possibly a turbo set up am i crazy to think ill be able to pass smog? but there are emission cams out there right? All i have to do is let the shop know i need to pass smog to have the heads and cam matched right?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
well i know that but im just saying if im pushing a forged motor with long tubes and a catted y and gmmg catback and i have the heads and cam done and possibly a turbo set up am i crazy to think ill be able to pass smog? but there are emission cams out there right? All i have to do is let the shop know i need to pass smog to have the heads and cam matched right?
Yes.
Emissions builds suck, but if you have to go that route, I would go full bolt ons and see how far that takes me.

Shorty headers, exhaust, TB, CAI, 1.6 rr's, LT4 springs, gears (4.10's for M6, 3.73 for A4), 3000+ stall (if auto), and a tune. That should put you in the 12's no problem. Throw in some weight reduction, mix in some suspension mods, add a dash of n2o and you have a nice street/strip car that will pass emissions all day...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ word ^^^

also AI and LE both have emission friendly cams...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

what is nitrous like? what kinda shot would i need if i dont wanna blow it up lol. My plans for the car right now are as follows: M6 swap, full exhaust probably pacesetter long tubes, catted y into the gmmg catback. Then i dunno what shocks yet but definitely strano springs. Also the other suspension stuff and then i wanna redo the motor. I definitely wanna do heads and cam from ai or le. But basically i want a decently reliable daily driveable emission legal car i can enjoy and not break every month if i beat on it a bit.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
what is nitrous like? what kinda shot would i need if i dont wanna blow it up lol. My plans for the car right now are as follows: M6 swap, full exhaust probably pacesetter long tubes, catted y into the gmmg catback. Then i dunno what shocks yet but definitely strano springs. Also the other suspension stuff and then i wanna redo the motor. I definitely wanna do heads and cam from ai or le. But basically i want a decently reliable daily driveable emission legal car i can enjoy and not break every month if i beat on it a bit.
Does your state do inspection test like CA? If so, then LT's are out the window, unless you know a guy.

Nitrous is fun and it can be safe if you set it up right with all of the failsafes in place. A 100 wet shot is loads of fun without being dangerous. I would upgrade your fuel pump to a Racetronix pump kit.

Ported heads and a mild cam are going to wake the car up a lot and still be emissions friendly. Talk to LE or Ai about your options.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

well im not sure about the long tubes. I have been told that they dont care as long as the cat is still in place. I know most of the people who do the testing are retards and dont know exactly where its supposed to be anyway. Last time i went they didnt even check under the car for the cat.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

i have a small cam, and bolt ons with a 75 shot, and i run low twelves on my MT steets. and its just a mail order tune. you could easily hit your goal witha hundred shot and a cam only build. plus it would be alot cheaper!

but like said above. AI and LE make great products and have great customer service from what i'm told.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Launching!

i emailed LE about a setup to get the most power but still be able to pass emissions, im guessing he is really busy still no reply.

i have a 97 firebird, those just do the gas cap and plug into obd right? so i can pass with a bigger cam as long as i have the emission headers and exhaust right?

sry OP not trying to steal thread :O
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

>230 duration @.050 will pass emissions as long as it on at least a 112 LSA, I just passed the sniffer check with mods in sig plus a single magnaflow cat after the Y.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
i emailed LE about a setup to get the most power but still be able to pass emissions, im guessing he is really busy still no reply.

i have a 97 firebird, those just do the gas cap and plug into obd right? so i can pass with a bigger cam as long as i have the emission headers and exhaust right?

sry OP not trying to steal thread :O
Its cool, yeah the 96 and up cars just do gas cap and plug in ur lucky. Anybody older then 96 has to do the sniffer

Quick Reply: question