LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help - Leaking Something

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help - Leaking Something

I'm going to assume its coolant, but I can't be sure. I had the low coolant light come on, but checked the radiator and the reservoir and had to fill the reservoir. Go to my aunt and uncles today and I hear this high pitched noise. Look under the hood and puddle of liquid under the car underneath the radiator. Coolant level seemed to be fine, just added a touch. Patched it up just to get home and i get into the driveway and it is leaking bad.

There is a pinsize hole in this one tube, once again I assume its coolant by how it might have looked.

The tube is the one that has the black tape on it, someone please tell me if this is coolant or not. While yesterday the light came on and stayed on and I filled it. It persisted and my uncle told me the sensors tend to fail? so we unplugged it. Please help
Old 07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant. Should smell sweet, too.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
I'm going to assume its coolant, but I can't be sure. I had the low coolant light come on, but checked the radiator and the reservoir and had to fill the reservoir. Go to my aunt and uncles today and I hear this high pitched noise. Look under the hood and puddle of liquid under the car underneath the radiator. Coolant level seemed to be fine, just added a touch. Patched it up just to get home and i get into the driveway and it is leaking bad.

There is a pinsize hole in this one tube, once again I assume its coolant by how it might have looked.

The tube is the one that has the black tape on it, someone please tell me if this is coolant or not. While yesterday the light came on and stayed on and I filled it. It persisted and my uncle told me the sensors tend to fail? so we unplugged it. Please help
You mean the tube that has the plastic mesh wrapping on it? That's the hose that connects the radiator to the TB. Yes, it's coolant. Just pick up some rubber hose and replace the tubing, easy fix.
You can do the TB bypass at the same time also.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I can see the tape now. Thats a heater hose that is leaking, again, it is coolant. You need to fix it soon, you don't want to leak water onto the opti. Cut off the section of hose with the pin hole, then get some rubber hose of the same diameter of same length that you cut off. You can get some from Autozone. Pick up a hose coupler to match thehose diameter and pick up a pair of hose clamps. Again, easy fix.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Coolant. Should smell sweet, too.
Alright cool, could I easily just go buy a rubber black tube from a store and it will fit or is there some sort of connection with that metal rod that I would need to get it from a dealership?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You mean the tube that has the plastic mesh wrapping on it? That's the hose that connects the radiator to the TB. Yes, it's coolant. Just pick up some rubber hose and replace the tubing, easy fix.
You can do the TB bypass at the same time also.
Throttle body bypass? How do I accomplish this?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Throttle body bypass? How do I accomplish this?
http://shbox.com/1/tb_bypass.jpg
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does this effectively do?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

What does this effectively do?
It bypasses the coolant passages through the TB that heat up the incoming air. It will free up maybe 2 average horsepower. You won't notice a differenc, but everything adds up. Just wait until you have to remove the TB for some reason to do it.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Launching!

While yesterday the light came on and stayed on and I filled it. It persisted and my uncle told me the sensors tend to fail? so we unplugged it. Please help
Your uncle is right, the "low coolant" lights on these cars fail often. Mine has been on since I bought my car in 2001. Unplug it to keep it from annoying you, but keep an eye on your coolant levels.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Leaking Something