LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 forged crank, forged I beam rods, forged pistons...what heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 383 forged crank, forged I beam rods, forged pistons...what heads?

A colleague of mine has an LT4 he built many years back and has just wrapped and put to the side in his garage.

He built it with heavily ported LT4 heads and spun it to 7K with a GM847 with all the supporting mods. He sold the heads and put the engine aside ever since.

He is selling it for a very decent price, and I have considered getting it instead of doing a CC503, but would like to know what heads I need to make some good use out of this block?

The only thing I would need is a new distributor because my Camaro is a 94, other things I can just swap over.

This could turn into a lot of fun, and a crazy setup if I do it right.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

How long has the engine been sitting? Depending on the time you may also want to replace all gaskets and seals which are on the block now or you have all kinds of external/internal oil leaking problems. Also depending on time you may want to examine the bearings to make sure they are in good working order and have no corrosion as well as checking for rust on the cam/crank/rod journals. If you don't want to open up the block just make sure to prime the engine with a priming tool before trying to turn it over.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
How long has the engine been sitting? Depending on the time you may also want to replace all gaskets and seals which are on the block now or you have all kinds of external/internal oil leaking problems. Also depending on time you may want to examine the bearings to make sure they are in good working order and have no corrosion as well as checking for rust on the cam/crank/rod journals. If you don't want to open up the block just make sure to prime the engine with a priming tool before trying to turn it over.
Of course it would get a freshening up with some new bearings if needed, no doubt.

But the question here is, what heads? I was considering LE2s.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any set of decently ported stockers will compliment that cam well

if you want to go with LE or AI for head porting you might as well get one of their cams to better match the heads
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myltwon
any set of decently ported stockers will compliment that cam well

if you want to go with LE or AI for head porting you might as well get one of their cams to better match the heads
I already have a cam, why go and get another? I am sure just as they can work their cams with their heads, they can work heads with off the shelf cams.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

of course it will work, but getting an off the shelf cam and heads to compliment it will always leave power on the table vs getting a set of heads then a cam to compliment it.

I'm sure if you wanted to you could prolly even sell the gm847 for a pretty penny if it's never been ran considering Crane was the company whom made them and they aren't doing it anymore.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

also you need to find out a couple more things about this motor, like has it been decked, what are the specs on the pistons in it, etc. these factors will let you know what compression ratio it will sit at when you bolt on a head with __ cc's. this will also dictate the cam that will best work with the motor.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Just checking on the block check.
Yes if that's the cam you want to go with then you can get your heads ported to fit your needs. My two personal choices would be either LPE LT4 CNC heads/intake or AI. I am not really allowed to list the reasons why, but if you do a search you can come up w/ your own conclusions regarding the results of at least AI and LE. There are only a very few who have LPE heads (myself included) so there aren't a lot of results or info about LPE.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just checking on the block check.
Yes if that's the cam you want to go with then you can get your heads ported to fit your needs. My two personal choices would be either LPE LT4 CNC heads/intake or AI. I am not really allowed to list the reasons why, but if you do a search you can come up w/ your own conclusions regarding the results of at least AI and LE. There are only a very few who have LPE heads (myself included) so there aren't a lot of results or info about LPE.
LPE ported LT1 heads here too with 2.00/1.56 valves...14 years and counting...^^^He's right, there's not many of us around but the results speak for themselves...

--Alan
Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

The real questions are what are your goals and what is your budget?

The 847 is not a picky cam that is stellar in any one aspect, so truth be told it would probably do what you want with most heads available. No point in going crazy or spending too much cash on heads to run with an off the shelf cam.

I would think any reputable head from LE/AI/LPE/EB etc would be more then suitable for that combo.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by puck
the real questions are what are your goals and what is your budget?

The 847 is not a picky cam that is stellar in any one aspect, so truth be told it would probably do what you want with most heads available. No point in going crazy or spending too much cash on heads to run with an off the shelf cam.

I would think any reputable head from le/ai/lpe/eb etc would be more then suitable for that combo.
+1

Quick Reply: 383 forged crank, forged I beam rods, forged pistons...what heads?