LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Air Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
So pulling it out would be ?? Bad!!! ??? I honestly don't see how it would accomplish keeping out rain in major rain storms at 70 mph
Well, think of it as standing behind a wall in a rainstorm, with rain coming in sideways at 70 mph. Sure, you are going to get wind and rain over that wall, but think about how much more rain would hit you if that wall wasn't there...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So pulling it out would be ?? Bad!!! ??? I honestly don't see how it would accomplish keeping out rain in major rain storms at 70 mph
I don't know if you can pull it out or not. I used a dremel to mine. I cut about half of it off and you can see straight through it.

I did that back in 97 or 98 as it was my daily driver and didn't want to have no protection against rain coming in. I've never had a problem, so it still kept water out of the intake. And it flows better since its more of a straighter shot.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I would get I ls1 lis and lower air box. With that hood and it being a camao you wouldn't need to cut anything except the radiator support. Would look very clean. You would have ram air then too.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Since we are talking about hoods, what is the deal on the ws6 ram air hoods? They have a "deflector" in the vents that seems like it would restrict air flow. Can I just pull that piece out and will it improve air flow or is it a waste of time
On an LS1 I think all you need to do is drill out the rivets and they come out. On the LT1's you have to physically cut the baffle out with a dremel. I did it to mine and have gotten caught in light rain a couple times without any negative effects but I would not recommend doing it on a DD that may see heavy rain time to time. I would like to think that it improves air flow but a engine is only going to take in as much air as it needs and I am not sure if the baffle actually was a restriction or not with my setup as I didn't do any back-to-back testing.

Originally Posted by dlk1950
Hood was on the car when I got it, I have no idea what make it is. There is no brand or #s on it any where. Is this what I would need to make it functional ??
I say go for an LS1 lid Dave. I would bet money that you would see gains with your heads/cam setup.

With a traditional CAI you have two harsh 90 degree bends which greatly hinders flow. Besides that you have a length of piping that is uneccessarily long when you want the intake tract to ideally be as short as possible. The LS1 lid or LT1 ram air is really IMO the perfect setup since it gives you very short and straight shot to the TB.

I actually went to Lowes recently and bought some reflective insulation that I used to wrapped the underneath of my ram air box and it is now cool to the touch after driving eventhough it sits atop the hot radiator. I bought it mainly to insulate the vararam intake on my Dad's GTO which heat soak very easily. Anyways, people have insulated their vararams on the GTO's and have seen drastically lower IAT's, thought I'd throw it out there as something to try for the heck of it.

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood