LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

9 sec LT1 all motor ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Bring that street car of yours up here this winter, start it up in 20 below temps and try to follow me and my street car to work. If you can't do that over and over, then yours is just a 'nuther race car
Yea because we all drive our 600hp cars in snow and ice. Congratulations if you do, let us know when your car is upside down in a ditch too.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Yea because we all drive our 600hp cars in snow and ice. Congratulations if you do, let us know when your car is upside down in a ditch too.
Geez, do I have to refresh your memory........
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Everyones idea of a streetcar is different, but the fact is there is only one definition......DRIVE IT, MANY MILES, ALL CONDITIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If it CANT do that, dont reference it as a "streetcar".

In case you guys didn't see that.....
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Everyones idea of a streetcar is different, but the fact is there is only one definition......DRIVE IT, MANY MILES, ALL CONDITIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If it CANT do that, dont reference it as a "streetcar".
I didn't set the standards, I just had to learn to live by them,winter being one of them
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sit behind your computer but I honestly wonder if you drive your car in those weather conditions and presumably worse since your user name is "Michigan" Skip.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

good gosh people, build the cars the way you want too and run em. I don't see the ls1 people doing this. They support those that are running hard and support their platform. Every car can be classified different by different people, its all personal preference. My car had an aftermarket computer...it drove better and I needed it for the 7500 rpms after I swaped heads(gm lt4 castings and gm lt4 intake) and could use my cam better. It made it MORE of a street friendly car. People said when I pulled 5th/6th out that it was no longer a street car yet I had the same final gear ratio of 1:1 in 4th gear same as a th350 or th400. No less of a streetable car than a car with that tranny and without a big slipping converter. Non lock up..who cares, people drove them forever before the lockup and overdrive trans. showed up. Lightweight seats, its a comfort issue to the *** sitting in them. Some even say that if your car has skinnies on it that its no longer a street car because you diminished the ability to stop in a panic than it was stock. Any kind of spherical end links on any suspension parts, now it rough and loud when you hit bumps..no longer a street car. Hell, according to the DOT if any smog equipment is removed then its illegal to be on the street so there are no legal streets cars in this conversation. So if you can get a ticket for driving your car with illegal equipment(or last there of) on the street then its a race car. Lets support each other guys. If the owner of the car says its streetable then it is..to him. Thats all that maters. If that means that he drives his car with slicks, aftermarket computer, solid end linked, 5000 stalled non lockup converter, sitting his *** in kirkeys, rolled the windows down with a crank and not a button, and has open exhaust to the corner stoor to get a pack of juicy fruit and calls it a street car I take that as to him, by driving that car on the street its a street car then so be it. Doesn't affect how fast or slow my car is on little bit.

Fast lt1s are cool guys, and a small rare breed, and getting harder to find. The method and extent your willing to go to get there is personal preference. I love seeing them all.

Last edited by 95 Formula; 08-09-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95 Formula
good gosh people, build the cars the way you want too and run em. I don't see the ls1 people doing this. They support those that are running hard and support their platform. Every car can be classified different by different people, its all personal preference. My car had an aftermarket computer...it drove better and I needed it for the 7500 rpms after I swaped heads(gm lt4 castings and gm lt4 intake) and could use my cam better. It made it MORE of a street friendly car. People said when I pulled 5th/6th out that it was no longer a street car yet I had the same final gear ratio of 1:1 in 4th gear same as a th350 or th400. No less of a streetable car than a car with that tranny and without a big slipping converter. Non lock up..who cares, people drove them forever before the lockup and overdrive trans. showed up. Lightweight seats, its a comfort issue to the *** sitting in them. Some even say that if your car has skinnies on it that its no longer a street car because you diminished the ability to stop in a panic than it was stock. Any kind of spherical end links on any suspension parts, now it rough and loud when you hit bumps..no longer a street car. Hell, according to the DOT if any smog equipment is removed then its illegal to be on the street so there are no legal streets cars in this conversation. So if you can get a ticket for driving your car with illegal equipment(or last there of) on the street then its a race car. Lets support each other guys. If the owner of the car says its streetable then it is..to him. Thats all that maters. If that means that he drives his car with slicks, aftermarket computer, solid end linked, 5000 stalled non lockup converter, sitting his *** in kirkeys, rolled the windows down with a crank and not a button, and has open exhaust to the corner stoor to get a pack of juicy fruit and calls it a street car I take that as to him, by driving that car on the street its a street car then so be it. Doesn't affect how fast or slow my car is on little bit.

Fast lt1s are cool guys, and a small rare breed, and getting harder to find. The method and extent your willing to go to get there is personal preference. I love seeing them all.

Spent 30 minutes reading through this thread... above post is the only thing I have read that makes PERFECT sense.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIZMO
What makes you think that I would need a stroker?
That's what I was going to say!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My street car has no a/c or p/s, has lexan, 4 link, skinnies on the front, but drag radials(not bias plys) on the rear. It has a sheet metal dash/floor, but it doesn't stop me from getting in it and driving it a few hours to race and driving it back home. I drive it to work, grocery store, and where ever I want, and it only weighs 2400lbs. Street car term is completely dependent on the owner, I fully believe if someone drives it a long ways, it's a street car.

That being said, Rick's car isn't just good heads/cam, its a COMPLETE COMBO. Since he's going so much faster than the other people with the same heads/cam, it shows that their is more to a car than the heads/cam to making it fast, it seems people forget this. You could throw on someone elses heads/cam on that car and it would still go fast.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Combos...

I agree with 95Formula up there, I'm just mad I didn't see this thread earlier. People tell me all the time my car is not a street car anymore, that now its a race car. But I guess I'm a race car when I drive my car an hour on the "street" to a car show, put my windows up by pressing a button, and lock my doors with a remote when I walk away. How about when my windshield is dirty on the way home and I just press the washer button and its clean, does that still make me a race car? And I'm not that guy running for cover when I see a dark cloud. As for driving my car in 20 degree weather or putting massive miles on it:

1. Why drive it in 20 degree weather when I have a pickup truck? If I go start my car up you can damn well believe its going to run and idle fine, I just chose not to. My 06 GTO stays in the garage from december to march and that is a street car.

2. Why would I want to put wear and tear on a high dollar motor by driving it around on the street when I have another car to drive? This doesn't mean I can't drive it, it just means I dont feel like wasting money; or waking up the neighbors on the way home at 2 AM

People judge us as race cars becuase of high compression, big cams, big stall converters and roll cages; and its just not right. I'm 14:1 compression and I run unleaded 100 gas, last time I checked that fuel is legal for street use. As for ricks car and AI: AI are great guys to deal with and they do know how to make power, hands down! Also, ricks car is an example of a perfectly setup combo/car.
It may seem odd but it happens like that, my old setup was a stock crank/rod 355c.i with 11.2:1 compression, untouched trickflow heads, a AI street hydraulic roller cam and a mildly ported LT1 intake manifold and I was running 11.40's @ 122 @ 3550 lbs on 93 octane and I was called a "street car" and was also accused of running nitrous many times.
When you get the right gear/converter/weight/suspension/motor combination you get good results. My old setup went to the track the first time and ran a 12.40 @ 113; and look what a 300 rpm converter increase, a tire change and a ton of motor and suspension tuning did over the course of a year. I have a new 385 in my car now and with only 11 passes on the car so far I am looking forward to great results. Us LTx guys have to stick toghether espically when were up against these new LS guys. But I'm allways the one with the last laugh when they're reading the LT1 decal on my rear bumper and I'm sure its the same with many of you guys. There's alot of fast LT1's on this thread and I just want to tip my hat to all of you, nice job everybody!!! I say build it and use it how you want who cares what its "defined" as; if its a fast LT1 then its good in my book. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are race cars or street cars or whatever we call them these days!!!

Last edited by quik95lt1; 08-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I already stated my opinion on what a street car is......................

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Refresh my memory again, what's the specs on your motor
David, I'm not trying to get into some sort of argument like you see on the bullet, but not everyone agrees on just what constitutes a street car vs a racecar. My opinion is that if it can legally be driven on the street (regardless of it's manners,) then it's a street car. Yes, that leaves the door wide open for all kinds of combinations. You have in your sig that your et is from an all motor car. I'm interested in knowing just what's in that motor.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres mine....

!ABS, !CATS, !A/C, !AIR, !EGR, !T/C, !CRUISE.

best of 13.4!!! Slowest (race) car ever....

just saying this whole streetcar thing is what YOU personally can put up with. (and get away with by law)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinnies
My street car has no a/c or p/s, has lexan, 4 link, skinnies on the front, but drag radials(not bias plys) on the rear. It has a sheet metal dash/floor, but it doesn't stop me from getting in it and driving it a few hours to race and driving it back home. I drive it to work, grocery store, and where ever I want, and it only weighs 2400lbs. Street car term is completely dependent on the owner, I fully believe if someone drives it a long ways, it's a street car.

That being said, Rick's car isn't just good heads/cam, its a COMPLETE COMBO. Since he's going so much faster than the other people with the same heads/cam, it shows that their is more to a car than the heads/cam to making it fast, it seems people forget this. You could throw on someone elses heads/cam on that car and it would still go fast.

Holy **** I could not do that, I'm pissed because my cage prevents me from kicking back the seats, lol! I love my AC , radio, power windows, mirrors and floorboards lol!

Quick Reply: 9 sec LT1 all motor ???