LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vs ls1

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like i said before i wanted an ls1 and "settled" on my LT1. I now realize there was no "settling" im happy than hell with my car and i got it dirt cheap with low miles. serious sleeper car being a stock look formula debadged. i rip cars left and right either doubting the LT1 or thinking its the v6.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im calling it right now, a 6 sec lt1 will never happen, ever. 6.99 is completely different than 7.99, the cost of the build would be ridiculous, and there would be no reliability. on the otherhand, 6 sec lsx is doable
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
on the otherhand, 6 sec lsx is doable
Doneable.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I love both! The ls1 is more refined and has alot more options for modding. While I believe the lt1 is making a come back, it still lacks in tuning options(obd2) stuff anyways and the opti blows.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any LTX setup that gets lower than 8.0 is going to not even be able to be considered LT1 material. Aftermarket block, waaaaaaaay different heads, different ignition system, different intake manifold, too much that will be non-LT1.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
im calling it right now, a 6 sec lt1 will never happen, ever. 6.99 is completely different than 7.99, the cost of the build would be ridiculous, and there would be no reliability. on the otherhand, 6 sec lsx is doable
Really? You dont think you could build a LT1 to run in the 6's? I think you could, even on the stock block.

The ONLY Lsx in the 6's was done in a VERY light Pro Mod type chassis. Take and engine like N20 Dave has put twin 91's on it and it could be done.

When Z8's gets ironed out I look for mid 7's out of that car.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Really? You dont think you could build a LT1 to run in the 6's? I think you could, even on the stock block.
All I know is the LT1 fbody is 16 years old and they have not even gotten into the 7's yet. If it were doable to make a LT1 run 6's then I have only one question.

What are they waiting for?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by darrensls1
All I know is the LT1 fbody is 16 years old and they have not even gotten into the 7's yet. If it were doable to make a LT1 run 6's then I have only one question.

What are they waiting for?
Man you crack me up, how old is the GEN1 engine? Reckon there are any 6 second Gen1 cars? An LT1 is nothing more than a reverse cooled Gen 1.

Just because it HASNT been done with an LT1 doesnt mean it CANT be done. People often take the path of least resistance.

Take Z'8's new engine combo and put it in a 2200lb Pro Mod type chassis and see where it goes.

If I am not mistaken the ONLY LSX to make it into the 6's was in a similar chassis. WHeel to Wheel put a turbo Ls1 in the old "Casper" car.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Just because it HASNT been done with an LT1 doesnt mean it CANT be done. People often take the path of least resistance.
Yet not one person/business decided to go after and shatter a LT1 world record that has stood for years? I find that difficult to believe.

Take Z'8's new engine combo and put it in a 2200lb Pro Mod type chassis and see where it goes.
Yes, lets see. When an announcement is made that a new LT1 world record is set then I will be very eager to read all about the new time, car and driver. But until then the record stands at 8.06 set by Big Rick.

If I am not mistaken the ONLY LSX to make it into the 6's was in a similar chassis. WHeel to Wheel put a turbo Ls1 in the old "Casper" car.
And they used a 100 shot of N20 to spool the turbo off the line netting them a 1.0 60'. Very impressive IMO. Prior to that there was Ronnie Duke in the 7's.

Bottom line is whether or not anyone thinks it can happen is irrelevant. It's not a documented fact until it actually does happen. Personaly I'm looking forward to seeing an LT1 break into the 7's. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for 6's.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Any LTX setup that gets lower than 8.0 is going to not even be able to be considered LT1 material. Aftermarket block, waaaaaaaay different heads, different ignition system, different intake manifold, too much that will be non-LT1.
you know big rick the current LTx holder? he ran an 8.08 on a shakedown pass/lower boost then parted out the motor, stock block. does it really matter anyways? you think the fastest LSx fbodies are running a factory block that came in their cars or still running a composite factory-style intake?

ltx heads are just reverse cooled gen 1 heads, pretty much every aftermarket "LTx" is just a reverse cooled version of a head they already offer for gen 1. so imo if you convert ANY aftermarket gen 1 head, you're just doing the same work the cylinder head companies are doing, more or less.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Rick ran the 8.06 in mid summer on a low boost shakedown pass, it hurt something(cant remember) he took it apart and sold it all. If you dont think that car had 7's in it you are mistaken.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

The ONLY Lsx in the 6's was done in a VERY light Pro Mod type chassis. Take and engine like N20 Dave has put twin 91's on it and it could be done.

When Z8's gets ironed out I look for mid 7's out of that car.
splayed valve heads, huge boost, sure 6s are in sight, but who has 40k to spend on an lt1 when you can build a 700+ cube BBC for the same. plenty of 6 sec prostock style cars running around here but not a sbc in sight. its not a matter of can it be done, but more of WHY would you go through the hassle?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Rick ran the 8.06 in mid summer on a low boost shakedown pass, it hurt something(cant remember) he took it apart and sold it all. If you dont think that car had 7's in it you are mistaken.
What baffles me is why no one took a look at his 8.06 setup and either duplicated it or used it as a blueprint to try to improve on it (and done so with moderate or even great success). IMO this is a record that should have been broken long ago. Maybe not shattered but at least broken by a few tenths.

But we will never know whether or not Ricks car had 7's in it. The next pass could have been a 7.x but then again the motor could have blown up on the next pass. Point is that whatever his reasons he decided not to keep the setup and make a run at 7's. So the record stands at 8.06 until someone steps up to the plate and beats it.

And when that happens I'll have only two thing to say. Congrats and it's about friggin time
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Is the ltx ever going to make it into the 6's in a car, probably not. But who gives a **** lol. Most people with an ltx or lsx platform are not goin to spend the money it takes to get that fast in either combo. Thats why BB's are used, it's cheaper more reliable way to make insane power. It's proven and I don't see it changing anytime soon. It's an irrelevant topic to argue over guys! The ls1 is better than the lt1 yes, getting either into the 6's will take a boat load of money. Most cars that run 6's have over 100k invested into them.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Ummm....... there is a car right now that has 7s written all over it. Its bigger and badder than ricks car and has twin Turbos. Z8s car will hit 7s this yr. Its a bad ****.
The only reason it hasent been done is because the LS1 came out and is easier to make fast.
This is the worlds fastest LS1 that I know of...Street car my ***...lol!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65Vy...eature=related

This is Z8s car.

yes it 's an LT1
Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

thats a bad bitch there
Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Build what you want to build. the Lt1 is a great durable motor its been proven...The Ls1 is an proven design as well head design that is just absolutely built for more power,the pcm for an Ls1 is light years ahead of the Lt1 but this is called "TECHNOLOGY" thank goodness we have it!
I do get mad when Ls1 guys start talking crap about Lt1s until we race then all of a sudden they get out the car with a sheer look of amazment that they either got BEAT or my orphan Lt1 is right there and they could not just walk off from it!!!!!
The very same thing that Lt1 owners did to TPI guys is now happening to Lt1 guys by the Ls1 crew big deal! build what you want and like its your money!
I have stated many times i respect my Lt1,she has put me across the line ahead of cars that on paper and by popular demand should have dragged me down the track....will i build an Lt1/4 to go all out racing with i do not believe so, i have Ls on my mind money vs. power. no disrespect for anyone here that has put their hard earned money into the Lt platform at all you guys are like family to me..
A close friend of mine has a clean SS Ls1 that was purchased off of the classifieds here we put a set of STOCK unported 243 heads w/larger springs,LG-g5x4 cam,QTP headers(THE ABSOLUTE BEST HEADERS)QTP y-pipe,30lb SVO injectors,ported TB,dynotuned by cartek put down 428whp w/QTP cutout open through anss3600stall thats quite impressive. point is he spent roughly 2k on this car to get that power,majority of the parts were used i will not lie to you but still can that be done w/an Lt not likely all in all does it make an Ls1 better than an Lt1 NO absolutely not but it does show technology advancement. Thats the reason why i am doing the swap in my 2 z28s.......
Ls1 vs. Lt1 should not be the battle that it is, the motors are too different to try to compare.....mod for mod i have never been raped by an Ls1
Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
thats a bad bitch there
Yes it is!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Give me 60K and I'll put an LT1 into the sixes. It takes someone with the cash and ambition to do it, plain and simple. Fellas, we put a man on the moon , we could do this with enough money if one had it and wanted it.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

6-second LT1 car? I won't be holding my breath for that one. Let's just wait for a 7-second pass first and then we can talk 6's!

Quick Reply: Lt1 vs ls1