LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Damn car won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn car won't start!!!

okay my car has problems with the VATS so i bought a bypass module that sends a 50 hz signal to my pcm so it can get fuel. Now my starter still is not working. I found the starter relay and it has four wires one purple, one green, one yellow and a smaller black and yellow wire. Is there a way i can bypass the starter though these wires? I don't want to run a toggle but im cheap and i need my car so if it comes down to it...?? thanks!!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANSAM/FORMULA
okay my car has problems with the VATS so i bought a bypass module that sends a 50 hz signal to my pcm so it can get fuel. Now my starter still is not working. I found the starter relay and it has four wires one purple, one green, one yellow and a smaller black and yellow wire. Is there a way i can bypass the starter though these wires? I don't want to run a toggle but im cheap and i need my car so if it comes down to it...?? thanks!!
All you probably had to do in the first place is bypass the VATS with a resistor. Measure the resistance of the pellet in your key with an ohmmeter. Then buy a resistor or wire some resistors in series to match the resistence in your key. Now splice the resistors to these two wires:
http://shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg

You know how hard it is to read you post and stare at your avatar at the same time?!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I knew about resistors but i wanted to do away with the vats as much as possible. well, besides sending my computer out to have it taken out. anyways i have already put the bypass module in so i own it and if i sent it back i would just loose more money in shipping.
soooo nobody know what these wires are? well looks like im going the old school route. i have little patience with electical problems and tend to bypass crap like this. i just wish i could bypass it at the relay...does it really need a relay anyways?? just real tired of this vats/starter relay leaving me stranded and this time leaving me without a car for a week. i'm a bit disappointed in GM that the vats came out in the 1980's and by 1995 they couldn't work out the bugs? i'm mean my car is very mechanically sound and runs strong but the antitheft stops me from driving myself to work...not cool GM not cool
Old 08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANSAM/FORMULA
I knew about resistors but i wanted to do away with the vats as much as possible. well, besides sending my computer out to have it taken out. anyways i have already put the bypass module in so i own it and if i sent it back i would just loose more money in shipping.
soooo nobody know what these wires are? well looks like im going the old school route. i have little patience with electical problems and tend to bypass crap like this. i just wish i could bypass it at the relay...does it really need a relay anyways?? just real tired of this vats/starter relay leaving me stranded and this time leaving me without a car for a week. i'm a bit disappointed in GM that the vats came out in the 1980's and by 1995 they couldn't work out the bugs? i'm mean my car is very mechanically sound and runs strong but the antitheft stops me from driving myself to work...not cool GM not cool
That bypass module you have is more than likely designed for retrofit swaps into older cars. All it does is simply allow the computer to supply the ground to the injectors to supply fuel, but it will do nothing to gound the TDR (starter) relay to allow the car to crank over. Bypasing VATS with the resistor like I mentioned above does both.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

well i tried to get on to all data at my job but our subscribtion expired. i finally have a day off, so im going to be able to spend some time on it (it rains everyday i get off work in florida). i figured i should of went the resistor way but i know that all i need is the starter to work and i can drive my car again. this module is definetly for a lt1 swap because it bypasses the bcm and you wouldn't have to even worry about the starter unless you used your wiring harness. "ground the TDR"? hmm? i don't think i tried that. well my car is not going to fix itself, so ill be back
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The VATS info on my website tells you how to bypass the relay. The relay is located to the right of the glovebox, pinned to the metal rail of the dash. The hatch relay is next to it.

Originally Posted by shbox.com
Replacing the TDR is just plug and play, but some will bypass it also. Referring to this schematic (1995), you can unplug the relay and join the yellow and purple wires together. This completely bypasses the relay.

You can also keep the relay (if it is working), but bypass the need for the TDM to operate it. Referring to the schematic, the yellow/black wire from the TDM to the TDR would need to be permanently grounded toward the TDR. Doing this only, will not affect the neutral safety or clutch switch operation. The relay will only operate when the switch is in the START position as that is the only time it would get 12v power.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

well problem solved! finally got some time off to dig into i my car a bit. found out not only did i have a VATS issue, i also had a starter issue. i even took the starter to autozone and had them test it. it passed their test but when i put it back on it wasn't kicking my engine over. i tried my friend's fully charged battery and still nothing. put the new starter in and it started right up.
Originally Posted by shbox
The VATS info on my website tells you how to bypass the relay. The relay is located to the right of the glovebox, pinned to the metal rail of the dash. The hatch relay is next to it.
thanks i did find that on your website, very helpful. just had to connect the yellow and purple wire to bypass the relay. total cost 220 dollars and now i never have to worry about that damn VATS again!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

good deal .

Quick Reply: Damn car won't start!!!