LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

clutch help for lt1 car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch help for lt1 car...

hey guys im in the middle of a 383stroker lt1 build right now... my trans is finished getting rebuilt and my engine is on its way to being done... so im goin to need a good clutch flywheels set up... just looking for some advice here... trying to see what you guys have done... engine should be doing some 500+ flywheel HP.... i know i want to go with a billet steel flywheel... i just dont know what company to go with yet... i know that i dont want to use ram seeing thats what i had in previously with it as a bolt on car and didnt like it.... so im looking into SPEC, McLeod, centerforce (dont know if this is rated for enough power), i really want to go with a monster but they arent making ltx setups yet and couldnt give me a timeframe when they would have them... ALSO... before o tore the car down i had terrribly clutch repsonse... it grabbed very high and had almost no slippage zone to slip it out of a launch... so should i replace the master and or slave also... do they make any good performance ones? do i need that for my application? my slave was replaced on the last clutch replacement with a factory replacement... master has never been replaced to my knowledge (110,000mi) i want a "firm grabby" clutch, car is not a daily driver so i dont need it to be super streetable... thanks for any help guys!

P.S. this isnt a thread for my clutch is better than yours... thats not going to help me... and i did a search and couldnt find the info i was looking for so i made a thread... thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My vote is for the Mcleod Street twin, it comes with either a billet or aluminum flywheel and an adjustable master cylinder. Mine drives pretty much like stock and definitely grabs hard enough to find any weak links in your drive train.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the ram powergrip HD on my car. It drives noticeable better than my old mcleod single disk with pretty much no chatter. I have no problem driving it every day and it holds my power fine.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by low n slow
my vote is for the mcleod street twin, it comes with either a billet or aluminum flywheel and an adjustable master cylinder. Mine drives pretty much like stock and definitely grabs hard enough to find any weak links in your drive train.
^^^+1.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Launching!

I'm in the same HP range as you. I just got my LE3 383 LT4 running yesterday. I installed a Mcleod twin disk with the aluminum flywheel and their adjustable Master Cylinder. This thing is the real deal, it feels great! Lots of grab and no chatter.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Best clutch for <550rwhp is a Zoom HP Dual-Kevlar. For >550rwhp go with a Street Twin, no questions.

I have both in my cars. The 383 478rwhp '95 Camaro Z28 has a Zoom HP, and the Trans-Am has the McLeod Street Twin with the aluminum flywheel.

The Street Twin feels like a stock clutch, buttery smooth, no grabbiness at all unless you dump it, and holds like no other.

The Zoom HP is grabby during break-in, but after 500 miles it is not bad at all. It holds great. My wife even drives the Camaro without issue it is that nice of a clutch. Compared to a Spec 3, there is no comparison as the Spec 3 was extremely chattery, grabby and felt more on/off. Also, look up the pictures of the Zoom HP disc and you will notice it is the beefiest clutch disc to be found for LT1s. Huge springs, thick metal base metal, secure mounting to the hub and the hub is massive and well constructed.

As I mentioned initially there is only two options. The Street Twin is the winner hands down if money is no issue, but if you want to spend a 'normal' amount on a clutch and have <550rwhp, the Zoom HP can't be beat.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Mcleod twin here , grabs well.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Mc Street twin!! Its one beefy *** clutch, drives great and will hold just about anything you can throw at it.
BTW Its so so true about finding all the drivetrains weak spots. I snapped my output shaft like a twig and twisted the strange yoke the very fist launch at the track. Glad I have an S60 in the car to back it up. 10bolts wouldnt last very long with this clutch and some stickies.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very good advice thanks guys.... tonskiguy - mind if i ask waht you spent all together on your setup? and where you got it from... also did it come with a bearing and alignment tool? whats the adjustable master like?? paint to bleed out?

and on the zoom clutch... does that come as a kit and where should i look into buying one should i decide to go that route... oh and should i buy a zoom what billet steel flywheel would work good with this... any one? i dont know if they ahve to be matched up or not...

thanks guys for the responses this is exactly the feedback i was hoping for!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Master is very easy to bleed. Just undo the slave add fluid to the resivior and pump the slave rod untill it stops taking fluid and all the bubbles stop. The slave will get tough to pump when its full.
The MCleod adjustable MC looks like a stocker just its metal not plastic and has an adjustable rod end on the clutch. It uses the stock lines and slave.
Email Larry at Speedinc for the best price.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by transmaro93
and on the zoom clutch... does that come as a kit and where should i look into buying one should i decide to go that route... oh and should i buy a zoom what billet steel flywheel would work good with this... any one? i dont know if they ahve to be matched up or not...

i echo waht 95 says about the ZOOM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZZZ-HP70043-1

not sure if ZOOM offers a billet FW...go to their site. McLeod and others do.

few pics of the ZOOM
Attached Thumbnails clutch help for lt1 car...-lt-1-clutches-051.jpg   clutch help for lt1 car...-lt-1-clutches-053.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

The way they look throws me off every time..lol
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Me too!! Goofy looking clutch!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

The first time I saw it, it was a SPEC that was going into a Mustang.. I was like WTF is this felt lookin ****..lol
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is speedinc a sponser here? if so can i have their website... or if not PM it to me please.... thanks guys... i think im going to go with the mcleod setup... just have to try to find the best deal now..
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

www.speedinc.com and yes they are a sponsor. Look to the right or they get alot of time in the top banner.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks... i e-mailed him... see what he can do for me.... going to be hard to bite this bullet though... haha quick question.... Any issues with the twin disc setup being that its fatter in the bell houseing becuase it has 2 discs... there is no modification needed correct?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Nope. No spacers just motor to bellhousing
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transmaro93
very good advice thanks guys.... tonskiguy - mind if i ask waht you spent all together on your setup? and where you got it from... also did it come with a bearing and alignment tool? whats the adjustable master like?? paint to bleed out?

I bought mine on this forum as a rusted pile of junk for $250, had it sent to Mcleod for an overhaul which they flat rate at $450. It came back looking like a new unit. The flywheel steel insert looked new, the ring gear and T/O bearing were new, both disks were new, the center steel plate looked new, the hardware was new, and the pressure plate looked to be new. I bought their Master Cylinder on this site as well for like $200. Had to buy a clutch alignment tool at AZ, but that's cheap. Bleeding was OK, I bench bled it before installing. Also took about .030 off the clutch fork perch for good measure. Works great!

Last edited by tonskiguy; 08-17-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

street twin all the way!

Quick Reply: clutch help for lt1 car...