LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Planning New Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning New Fuel System

Well I guess I'm looking for some pointers and need some help locating some pieces.

First of all I'm planning on using Summits twist-tite hose and fittings, they are rated for 250 psi so I think I'll be alright

But I can get the hose in -4 to -12. I was thinking about doing -6 for the return line and -8 for the pump side. Is that overkill? I may be having a bigger and better setup in the future, but I figured -8 would be plenty big.

Now I'm planning on getting a racetronix fuel pump from my buddy and rather than have to cut up my fuel pump lines and weld on fittings I was trying to find the adapters to go to either an NPT fitting or AN fitting. I also need them for the fuel rails. I thought I have seen them before, but I can't seem to find them now.

Also I need a good filter setup, what do you suggest for that?

But any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I found these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640860/

Those are what I should need for the fuel rais right??? What will I need for the pump side? The same type of fittings or are they dirrerent?

This fuel filter (rated at 300 PSI):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-23002/

Last edited by Turnin20s; 08-24-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't see anything in your sig that can't be handled by a Racetronix drop-in fuel pump kit, a plug-n-play wire harness upgrade, & stock filter...

Any reason you have custom ideas?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I don't see anything in your sig that can't be handled by a Racetronix drop-in fuel pump kit, a plug-n-play wire harness upgrade, & stock filter...

Any reason you have custom ideas?
Well my fuel lines are getting pretty rusty (it has been a northern car its whole life ). And I have a new exhaust setup in mind and I would like to reroute the fuel lines out of the way. I know the stock fuel system is good enough, but I'd just like to clean everything up so I can run one exhaust pipe over each side of the axle. The brake lines are going to be moved also. And I'm planning a drop in fuel pump with the "hotwire kit" too.

Its not really something thats needed, but rather something I'd like to address before one of my fuel lines breaks, or my exhaust is run too close to it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

bump for the fittings. I may order some pieces pretty soon, but I need to know what fittings I need to connect to the stock lines coming off the fuel pump and the stock lines off of the fuel rails.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your power level, I do not see a need to modify rails etc. Why not just get a direct fit LT1 regulator & run lines from the factory connections on the rails? I've seen that setup support over 800hp.

If you are looking or a line setup, I have some very nice options for that. I would consider braided stainless for the slight difference in price over pushlock hose.

Feel free to give me a call.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Picking up a set of newer, rust-free, stock fuel lines shouldn't be too difficult. Then get a Racetronix pump kit and hotwire kit. Done and done.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Picking up a set of newer, rust-free, stock fuel lines shouldn't be too difficult. Then get a Racetronix pump kit and hotwire kit. Done and done.
Yes but then the fuel lines are still too close to the exhaust setup. I unnderstand where you guys are coming from, but its something that I would like to do.

For your power level, I do not see a need to modify rails etc. Why not just get a direct fit LT1 regulator & run lines from the factory connections on the rails? I've seen that setup support over 800hp.

If you are looking or a line setup, I have some very nice options for that. I would consider braided stainless for the slight difference in price over pushlock hose.

Feel free to give me a call.
I'd like the black braided hose but that stuff is expensive. And I'm not looking to modify my fuel rails, thats why I'm looking for the quick connect fittings so I can hook up aftermarket lines like stock. I think the ones that I posted are for the pump side right? I need the ones for the fuel rail side now.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

So no one has installed all new fuel lines? I mean I could hack mine up and make them work, but I would rather just reroute the entire system and run all new higher quality parts.

I looked into the aeroquip quick connect fittings and hose and its a little more, but I can get black hose and nickle plated fittings. I just need to figure out the adapters for the fuel rails or if I have to modify them. Russle seems to make alot of adapters and some say they are for lt1s like the ones I listed above, but they don't say hwere they go.

Also what size fuel line should I use? Would -6 be plenty for the pressure side and the return or should I use -8 for the pressure side?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
So no one has installed all new fuel lines? I mean I could hack mine up and make them work, but I would rather just reroute the entire system and run all new higher quality parts.

I looked into the aeroquip quick connect fittings and hose and its a little more, but I can get black hose and nickle plated fittings. I just need to figure out the adapters for the fuel rails or if I have to modify them. Russle seems to make alot of adapters and some say they are for lt1s like the ones I listed above, but they don't say hwere they go.

Also what size fuel line should I use? Would -6 be plenty for the pressure side and the return or should I use -8 for the pressure side?
I understand your wanting to reroute the lines, but there really isn't a need to install higher quality parts...sounds like wasting money to me. Here's an idea, why not just keep the stock location and install a heat sheild of some kind to protect the fuel lines. That should be sufficient considering that there are a couple spots in which fuel lines (both plastic and metal) are inches away from the headers in the engine bay and the y-pipe under the body protected by a thin heat sheild.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I understand your wanting to reroute the lines, but there really isn't a need to install higher quality parts...sounds like wasting money to me. Here's an idea, why not just keep the stock location and install a heat sheild of some kind to protect the fuel lines. That should be sufficient considering that there are a couple spots in which fuel lines (both plastic and metal) are inches away from the headers in the engine bay and the y-pipe under the body protected by a thin heat sheild.
I know what you are saying, but I'm planning a new setup that gets rid of the torque arm and the pipes are going to be run high in the trans tunnel right where the fuel lines are. Then right past where the stock filter is to go over the axle.

The new setup actually won't actually cost that much. Probably $100 for the hose, $60 for the fuel line adapeters, $70 for a filter, and probably less than $50 for fittings. In all reality its not going to cost that muchand it will give me the ability to get everything where it needs to be. I could get aluminum line, its quite a bit cheaper, but its a little harder to work with and I'd have to spend more money on fittings compared to the quick connect hose.

Thanks for you opinion, I'm not sure which way I will go yet, but I'd like to figure out if the fittings will make it so I can just clip everything together. If I have to start cutting up my fuel rails I don't know what I'll end up doing.

Quick Reply: Planning New Fuel System