LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bose cd problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose cd problems

Okay, Ive done a search, and cant find anything much on the Bose Systems. I picked up a 96 Z about a month ago and it has the Bose in it. Sounds fine, but wont play burnt cds, and doesnt like to play others half the time. Think i have heard that if you replace the HU with an aftermarket and not the speakers, it sounds like crap. Anyone have any experience with this??? Im not trying to make it sound better, but dont want it to sound like sh*t, either. Just wanna listen to music!. . . Thanks in advance for any help or advice. . . .

Hey, guys. I know this is the wrong place for this, but I posted it in the right one and got no replies. . . Guess since its an LT1, I got shunned. LOL. Anyway, anybody tried the adapter for the Bose systems?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its to old to read current CDs that is all, now forget about that crap and put a good exhaust so thats all you wanna hear!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

I had the same problem. Just get a good deck with a built in equilizer to control the stock speakers. I have two 1200W subs and twin amps running also and the sound is kick ***.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it the right way. Install an aftermarket deck and rewire all the speakers. It will sound 100x better than installing a an adapter to work with the stock stuff. The stock speakers and wiring will not work without an adapter.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, Hatter, thats what I figured. . . Rather save that money for mods, but seems like the only way to go. . . And I like loud music, so even that Magnaflow wont drown it out. . . Still got converters, though. .
Old 08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Were those new burned CD's mp3 format? If so, it won't read them. As already stated, get an aftermarket unit. Even the cheapest of head units these days will sound far better than the Bose you have now.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

No, they werent, and it spits out store bought cds 2 or 3 times before it finally plays them. So, yeah, it probably never played burnt cds, and its gettin to where it wont play regular ones. . . Just wore out. I just hate to have to replace EVERYTHING in order for it to sound decent. If I replace the Head unit, will I be able to replace or keep the factory sub very easy???
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Barney Z
No, they werent, and it spits out store bought cds 2 or 3 times before it finally plays them. So, yeah, it probably never played burnt cds, and its gettin to where it wont play regular ones. . . Just wore out. I just hate to have to replace EVERYTHING in order for it to sound decent. If I replace the Head unit, will I be able to replace or keep the factory sub very easy???
I'm not sure what is offered in the way of aftermarket boxes for f-bodies anymore. I was able to find a small band pass box w/ a 10" sub which fits very nicely in the trunk/cavern. There was also a market (not sure if there still is) for a box that fit in the void on the passenger side trunk area (basically just behind where the bose sub box sits). You would have to get a different panel though if you were to do this. I haven't kept up with stereo **** for f-bodys for quite some time so what I say may have absolutely no validity regarding aftermarket boxes.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a '96 Z with the Bose CD and it plays burnt CDs fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Teching In

I have a Bose in my f-bod, had it rebuilt by someone on ebay for about 100 bucks and it works great, including burnt CDs.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the Factory Bose setup aswell..my speakers that are right behind the Door went out. I installed some new ones and it wouldn't even run them, I guess the Deck is setup a certian way.

Eventually I'll upgrade the sound system, it'll be nice to have them Speakers back.

Quick Reply: Bose cd problems