LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A.I.R. Inlet Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A.I.R. Inlet Hose?

After putting my car together, I realized that the A.I.R. pump is not quite right. I have one hose on the pump routing to the valve that goes on the header, but another fitting has no hose on it and is just sucking air. After finding this (look at the pic on the top left)

http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg

I see that that is where the a.i.r. inlet hose goes, but where does the other end go to? I can't figure it out. Oh, and I'm not talking about the little vent, I know no hose goes there.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The AIR pumps air to both exhaust manifolds. There is a tube that crosses over underneath the timing cover and attaches to the passenger side exhaust manifold.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

it also connects to the air intake???
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy ****, sounds like I'm missing a rather long piece.....where can I get a new one, parts store? What would happen if I just plugged it for the time being? Could be possibly causing my long cranks when sitting for a while (pcm reading umetered air or some crap I'll bet).
Old 08-29-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, just looked at it again, the piece you're talking about that goes under the timing cover to the pass side is there, that goes to the drivers side header, which is connected to the air pump via the outlet hose, but there is no extra fitting for another hose, the inlet hose appears to have no place to go....I'm confused.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 96 Lt1, there is a hose that goes from the air pump inlet to the plastic pipe between the airbox and the maf.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^!!!! this might be the answer, I'm not sure if it was always this way or what, but I'd had that port in the airbox tube plugged, I believe people called it a silencer or resonator??
Old 08-29-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's a pic so everyone knows which i'm talking about

Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The AIR pump pulls air from the intake ducting and pumps it to the exhaust manifolds. Without the tube, you're pumping open air from the port on the AIR pump.

EDIT: That other hose goes to the other intake manifold. The system is very simple.

Intake ducting air ----> Air Pump ----> Two outlets to each exhaust manifold.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THere should be two holes in the intake tube. One is oblong, about the size of a stick deodorant. That is the resonator/silencer thing. It has a tube connected to it that runs down the front of the engine and is just closed at the end...doesn't connect to anything else. There should be another hole closer to the airbox, round and about the size of a mouth of a drink bottle. That is the one that connects to the air pump.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I can see, I've only got one hole in the intake tube, the one the size of a bottle cap I had plugged, now is connected to the mystery inlet hose hole, now I've got filtered air going in there and hopefully will run better, or at least not have trouble passing smog. I'm actually hoping it will start better too. I've got new ngk tr55 plugs, wires, opti, msd coil (USA made), fuel pump, new intake and exhaust valves, just did head gaskets and it suddenly started having long cranks after sitting for more than a few hours.

Dubga, you may have a few different things, being a 96, or I'm just not seeing the other larger oblong hole in the intake tube.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you have it right. It goes to a barb on the Airbox for inlet air. The "oblong" thing referred to is just the resonator or "donkey di_k" protruding down from the intake tube not an oblong hole.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer your question as to if it will cause hard starts, etc, no.

I would just delete all the garbage (and thats exactly what I did), but I understand some may need to keep it for emissions purposes.

If your state doesnt do emissions checks, I'd ditch all the emissions BS.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, starting is the same, wishful thinking on my part. I'm going to check the wires tomorrow.....I made them after all (universal size, cut to fit), maybe I messed one up.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just fyi, I had the slow starting problem. It would crank for several seconds before it would crank, like and old carb car does when it is flooded. It didn't do it all the time, just whenever it felt like it, but always after sitting a while. Mine turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator.

Like you said mine is a 96, so yours may be different. But on mine there is a small vacuum hose that runs from the fpr to the passenger side of the intake. Pull that hose off. If fuel drips out, or if you can even smell fuel inside that hose, that may be the problem. Mine only smelled of fuel, no dripping. But I replaced it and not a single slow start since. If it doesn't seal properly it allows gas vapors to back up into the intake causing kind of a flooded condition.

Not saying that's your problem, but something to think about.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that should go to the intake. on my FIPK there is a hole for the hose to slide over

Quick Reply: A.I.R. Inlet Hose?