LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bullet racing cams???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are available for many applictions, which essentially mates a cast gear (or rear cam portion) to a billet core. You can typically see the color difference if you have one of these cams. These are a great choice for a street car, but typically do cost a bit more.

Considering in the previous post, the gear got destroyed, I doubt that is the case here. Moral of the story... do your research before you put it together.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dlk1950
There seems to be quite a few Bullets flying around.
I see nobody noted your pun............I appreciated it...........I'm bored today......looking for new friends........lol!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. Had back surgery been grounded for 3 weeks,no driving,no bending,no lifting ect.ect..
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Called Bullet Racing with the cam serial number. They said it was compatible with the OEM gear. Guess just too many miles on the original oil pump drive gear.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I was pretty sure the oil pump just let go. Bullet is a good company and you never hear anything bad about them.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the small cost of a drive gear, you should always consider replacing it when you change the cam.... especially due to the effort required to change it on an LT1.

I can pull the distributor on my 68 Camaro in 5 minutes, not so on the LT1.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

bullet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> comp. srsly. quality custom ****.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan
Don't see why the gear would suddenly fail in such a short time. But it's all chewed up and when I put my finger down in the hole the gear on the cam itself feels undamaged. Which leads me to believe it's made out of harder material than the OEM oil pump drive. But now what about all the metal it sent through the rest of the engine. I shut it down as soon as I saw the light in the dash come on. And I wasn't running it hard when it happened.
I've had a few oil pump drive gear failures over the years and did a lot of research trying to find the cause(s). Based on what I found, it boils down to a couple of causes: HP oil pump and/or incompatible metals in the gear and cam.

I also found that the wear normally occurs so gradually that the metal ground away doesn't result in any bearing problem. Even with the failures I've had, I can vouch for that.

You could use a oil priming tool to flush the oil galleries, etc., if this concerns you. Then cut open the oil filter to see what's been cause deep within the pleats. I did that on a couple of occasions.

The REAL problem is with the LT engines since when the gear fails, the engine will continue to run, not like L98s which will shut down. With a LT, if the CHECK GAUGES light isn't caught quickly enough, bearing damage will occur from the engine running with NO oil pressure.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Teching In

At first I didn't want to post my experiences with Bullet but then after them repeatedly not answering my mails I thought I must post to let other people know, not all are satisfied with Bullet.
This is my fourth cam, the first was from TPIS and the other two from Comp Cam. The quality of these cams in regards to casting and size were real good and the timing events also.
The SR Bullet cam was ordered through LE, with a base circle of 1.050". I received a .900" base circle, with no notice in advance that they could not deliver the base circle I ordered. Before assembly I measured all lobes, base circle and lift. The lift fits but the base circle sizes are all over the place. I mean .0032" difference, only 4 have the proper size (.900), all others are smaller.
The cam timing events were even worse, they were off between .5° to 2.0°.
IVO 1.0° advanced
IVC 0.5° advanced
EVO 2.0° advanced
EVC 0.5° retarded
I really don't know how many times I double checked the timing events, must have been at least 10 times.

Let me sum it up somewhat.
- couldn't deliver proper base circle
- unsatisfactory machining of BC
- very poor casting, certainly not a US casting
- still has lobe for fuel pump, 1 lb more of rotating mass
- timing events up to 2° off
- no service via email
- no after sales service at all

Can't, by all means, recommend "Bullet" to anyone!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what drive gear would you recommend upgrading to?

Quick Reply: Bullet racing cams???