LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing the crank hub

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is crankshaft is key'd too and i so wish i had put sealant on it before the install as I have a small oil leak at this time from that exact spot.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will admit to trying to tap on my aftermarket keyed hub in the past. The problem that i encountered when putting it on, is that it was slightly out of spec compared to my compstar crank. Nothing I did whether I heated it up or tried pressing it on (with threaded rod + washers) would work.

I would up having to put on a metal lath and having it turned some at a buddies. It now barely goes on with a custom tool that my friends dad made me.
He machined me a peice of solid billet metal that inserts into the hub and protrudes outward past the lip. Inside the center of the billet piece is a hole that you put threaded rod into so you can press on with a nut/washer. I found that this worked better because it kept the hub much more centered than just pressing with washer alone. When you have close tolerances like what I was dealing with, you can gall the metal very easily.

Also make sure your keys are seated correctly.

To those making your own tool, you dont have to have grade 8 threaded rod. I know because I just used the lower grade stuff, and it really took a punishing with no damage. You will know if it is going on right because you can feel the little pops the hub will make as your tightening.

BTW guys what keyed hubs are you running out of curiosity?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I will admit to trying to tap on my aftermarket keyed hub in the past. The problem that i encountered when putting it on, is that it was slightly out of spec compared to my compstar crank. Nothing I did whether I heated it up or tried pressing it on (with threaded rod + washers) would work.

I would up having to put on a metal lath and having it turned some at a buddies. It now barely goes on with a custom tool that my friends dad made me.
He machined me a peice of solid billet metal that inserts into the hub and protrudes outward past the lip. Inside the center of the billet piece is a hole that you put threaded rod into so you can press on with a nut/washer. I found that this worked better because it kept the hub much more centered than just pressing with washer alone. When you have close tolerances like what I was dealing with, you can gall the metal very easily.

Also make sure your keys are seated correctly.

To those making your own tool, you dont have to have grade 8 threaded rod. I know because I just used the lower grade stuff, and it really took a punishing with no damage. You will know if it is going on right because you can feel the little pops the hub will make as your tightening.

BTW guys what keyed hubs are you running out of curiosity?
dont forget you have to grease the threads of the tool so when you start pressin it your threads dont strip..
Old 09-19-2009, 03:20 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad I didn't have to bother with that on mine when I was taking it apart. I looked at it and thought, "If I am going to take this off, I have to put it back on. This looks like a giant pain in the ***. I'll work around it."
Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97LT1
.....BTW guys what keyed hubs are you running out of curiosity?

I have a "first generation" Fluidampr. Also, I understand that Golen Engine Service will broach a keyway in an OE damper hub. I was going to have them do mine, as I switched between the OE hub and Fluidampr a couple of times, while I chased a vibration issue and later, an oil leak.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allan808
dont forget you have to grease the threads of the tool so when you start pressin it your threads dont strip..
yes you do have to lube the threads
Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sepno77
mine is crankshaft is key'd too and i so wish i had put sealant on it before the install as I have a small oil leak at this time from that exact spot.
If you have a keyed hub then by all means use it for what God intended it for. It's cheap, it's easy and you would have a fixed reference for TDC.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of these install issues and guesswork that everyone has would be all but eliminated if one invests in the proper tool to install the hub. $50 is worth it IMO. It's almost enjoyable to install it knowing other people have so many problems.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
All of these install issues and guesswork that everyone has would be all but eliminated if one invests in the proper tool to install the hub. $50 is worth it IMO. It's almost enjoyable to install it knowing other people have so many problems.
Where is there a proper install tool for $50?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Where is there a proper install tool for $50?
I bought mine about 6 years ago from Summit. I don't remember the brand, but it was around $50 or so. It's paid for itself several times.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I bought mine about 6 years ago from Summit. I don't remember the brand, but it was around $50 or so. It's paid for itself several times.
Part number?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Part number?
Part number HI-1337.

Seriously, I have no idea. It's a threaded rod with adapter for different snouts, large hardened nut, and a round hardened plate. That's it. Bought it back when I did my cam install in 2003.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I boil the hub to heat it. That way it does not get hot enough to damage the seal. Then I use a long bolt and washers. Keep meaning to get the threaded rod though as that would be nicer.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

This seems like it might work, might order one and see if it will work as I need to reinstall my hub this week...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...|7%2f16-20+in.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Here's the tool I use. It has a bearing and large nut. Turning the nut presses on the hub.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's done and installed. I bought a high grade threaded rod, bearing from a universal harmonic installer tool, high grade nut. Put some grease on the thread and the hub went on there smooth.

Jakejr, from the look of that pic, I think the front 7/16" of that tool is still too short unless the hub is already started and pretty close proximity to the crank snout.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I boil the hub to heat it. That way it does not get hot enough to damage the seal. Then I use a long bolt and washers. Keep meaning to get the threaded rod though as that would be nicer.

I've also used a 5-6" long bolt that I cut more threads on, using a die. That way, I didn't have to use the "double nuts" that I descrbed earlier...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Teching In

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The "poor boy's crank hub installer"

Get a 7-8" piece of 7/16 fine threaded rod stock (I believe it's 7/16-20). On one end, put 2 hex nuts, and tighten them together really tight. This is the end you hold steady with a hex wrench.

Thread another hex nut about 3" up from the other end of the rod. Then add 5-6 oiled-up flat washers, because the crank hub is deep. Put a little "never-seize on the end of the crank to help the hub to slip on, and a dab of RTV into the hub's groove, to help prevent oil leakage.

Gently center the hub on the crank. Then thread the rod into the crank. Go in about 1/2". Use two hex wrenches, one to hold the end that's double nutted, and the other to turn the nut that's with the flat washers. Keep threading the second nut down, pushing the hub in place, until it tightens up. Remove the threaded rod and install the crank bolt. Torque the bolt to 65 ft./lbs.

Relax and have a beer..........
+10,000^^^^^

Quick Reply: Installing the crank hub