LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hmm should I go SR???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

That's two things now I need to watch out for... First being my cam is just going to seize one of these days due to low rpm and now because I don't have shaft mounts with a SR application I am running an unstable valve train... OMG WAT 2 DOOOO!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You dont NEED shaft mounts. BUT...anytime, with any cam that you can add valvetrain STABILITY, whether it be rockers, stud girdle, bigger pushrods, bigger studs. There is usually a gain in power.

You should ALWAYS buy the best valvetrain components you can afford, or save up and buy the best. No matter what the cam is. There is always more power to be had with better(IE lighter) components in any engine application.

In the instance of the valvetrain, lighter more stable parts mean better life, more power and less maintenance.

I have 6500 miles on my setup with not one problem, minimal maintenance.
I have 8 crower rockers, 8 comps, no guide girdles and ALOT of passes this year...and last. And I turned it real high..... I always do my burnouts at about 8k...... I just like how it sounds
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by JasonShort; 09-21-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That's two things now I need to watch out for... First being my cam is just going to seize one of these days due to low rpm and now because I don't have shaft mounts with a SR application I am running an unstable valve train... OMG WAT 2 DOOOO!

Maybe with some of that stuff you could run in the 10's??????????????????? What does your 396 run anyway?

If you READ and COMPREHEND what I posted, you really would understand.

MD your car ACTUALLY runs a number, but as I stated. Its proven that the better valvetrain stability you have, the more power you will make. IE 3/8 over 5/16 pushrods....almost always will make more power. Not on some ***** cam like SSRRR's. But a real camshaft.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still say the OP stays with a HR. fastfatboy when are you switching to a 4 hole setup?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i still say the OP stays with a HR. fastfatboy when are you switching to a 4 hole setup?

I got a huge week long cruise I go to every year in Oct, after that I am pulling the trans, sending off the converter to get it loosened. I already have the 4 hole TB. I need to get the hat for it and a throttle cabe setup. Need Tunercats to retune it. It will be this winter.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Village Troll

Maybe with some of that stuff you could run in the 10's??????????????????? What does your 396 run anyway?
Dunno. Will find out sometime soon.
If you READ and COMPREHEND what I posted, you really would understand.
I know exactly what you stated. You stated by default if you go w/ a SR setup then shaft mounts should be required and a hp gain will be had by default. Now it's time for you to "READ" and "COMPREHEND" what I said.
MD your car ACTUALLY runs a number, but as I stated. Its proven that the better valvetrain stability you have, the more power you will make. IE 3/8 over 5/16 pushrods....almost always will make more power. Not on some ***** cam like SSRRR's. But a real camshaft.
I like my ***** camshaft. Reason being is the valve train is stable w/out having to go to shaft mounts like your manly camshaft. Oh yeah, I'm running ***** 5/16 pushrods too. I can't imagine TEH HORZE POWERZ I'm losing.
So what other doom and gloom are you going to preach on how SR's just blow up if a billion dollars is not spent...

Last edited by JasonShort; 09-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are funny!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I know exactly what you stated. You stated by default if you go w/ a SR setup then shaft mounts should be required and a hp gain will be had by default. Now it's time for you to "READ" and "COMPREHEND" what I said.

I like my ***** camshaft. Reason being is the valve train is stable w/out having to go to shaft mounts like your manly camshaft. Oh yeah, I'm running ***** 5/16 pushrods too. I can't imagine TEH HORZE POWERZ I'm losing.
So what other doom and gloom are you going to preach on how SR's just blow up if a billion dollars is not spent...

I predict an 11.70....if you can drive. 150 shot might put you in the 10's LMAO.

I SAID its better if you do those things, you dont HAVE to as MD is an example.

I also run 5/16 pushrods, no real room for a 3/8. BUT I would make more power with a 3/8 no doubt in my mind. Its pretty much a proven fact a bigger pushrod makes more power....WHY you ask? More stability, thats why.

SInce you know so much SS RRR, why doesnt your car stand out? How much power does it make? How quick is it? I see you knock alot of guys on here....why is that? Are you and Capricemgr brothers?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

So does anyone know how much HP/TQ I could gain?
Correct me if Im wrong but the OBD2 F-bods can get about 7200 on the factory PCM, and obd1 maxes out at 7k? What Would I have to spin to to make it worth while?
My current valvetrain is TFS guide plates, Manley hardened CM PRs, Patriot Gold Dual springs. LE2 heads with Manley racing valves and Comp Cams High tech Stainless Steel Pro mag rockers. Any of this reuseable?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran a .600 Sr cam on stock 1972 small block chevy springs for about a year lol That was before I knew anything lol Stock push rods and rockers as well hahaha
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Village Troll

I predict an 11.70....if you can drive. 150 shot might put you in the 10's LMAO.
Maybe.
I SAID its better if you do those things, you dont HAVE to as MD is an example.
But threw out blanket statements stating more power can be had, which is untrue. It depends on the application. If you are going to run a high end, high reving cam then yes, but for a mild "***** cam" then it is not necessary.
I also run 5/16 pushrods, no real room for a 3/8. BUT I would make more power with a 3/8 no doubt in my mind. Its pretty much a proven fact a bigger pushrod makes more power....WHY you ask? More stability, thats why.
I don't ask. There's no reason to ask. As stated, it depends on the application.
SInce you know so much SS RRR, why doesnt your car stand out? How much power does it make? How quick is it? I see you knock alot of guys on here....why is that? Are you and Capricemgr brothers?
Funny how merely stating you are incorrect in your claims gets you all fired up. I don't claim to know "so much." I am merely posting up my experiences with what I've done.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Correct me if Im wrong but the OBD2 F-bods can get about 7200 on the factory PCM, and obd1 maxes out at 7k? What Would I have to spin to to make it worth while?
My current valvetrain is TFS guide plates, Manley hardened CM PRs, Patriot Gold Dual springs. LE2 heads with Manley racing valves and Comp Cams High tech Stainless Steel Pro mag rockers. Any of this reuseable?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...hlight=lifters

Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I use "cheated-up" stock lifters in my motors which are basically solids. I have to run the stock rocker and have never had a rocker failure. I do run 7/16" studs and better than stock pushrods. The cam that is the car right now has 26X/27X duration @ .050. I have experimented with steel and aluminum stock ratio rockers and have seen nothing on my ET slip.

Does the factory PCM cut-off at 7000 or does it go static? I have read both versions.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Does the factory PCM cut-off at 7000 or does it go static? I have read both versions.
It uses the last known rpm cell and goes static. There have been those who've turned the stock PCM to 8000rpm.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

It uses the last known rpm cell and goes static. There have been those who've turned the stock PCM to 8000rpm.

Mine dont, it acts like a rev limiter at 7150. Ed Wright has done alot of poking to try and find a way around it, but has yet to do so.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

So youve done a spintron on your setup to see if there is anything to gain? I thought so.

I aint fired up LMAO, I like seeing you crack on everyone but have the same knowlwdge or less than most of the ones that HAVE a fast car and have tried a few things.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Village Troll

Mine dont, it acts like a rev limiter at 7150. Ed Wright has done alot of poking to try and find a way around it, but has yet to do so.
Perhaps the difference between OBDI and II. I've had mine to 7500 before.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

AC HOTROD, with the advent of hyd roller technology today the gap has closed between the two.

BUT there is more AVERAGE power to be had with a solid over a hyd, but if you make the dive, dive all the way in.

Your guideplates and rockers can be reused thats about it. Possibly valves if they are long enough.

My power peaks at 6500.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Village Troll

My power peaks at 6500.
Weird. Especially how your have a manly cam and I have a ***** cam.

Quick Reply: Hmm should I go SR???