LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hmm should I go SR???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
AC HOTROD, with the advent of hyd roller technology today the gap has closed between the two.

BUT there is more AVERAGE power to be had with a solid over a hyd, but if you make the dive, dive all the way in.
+1

stick HR unless you plan to go "all out" with a SR setup
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
+1

stick HR unless you plan to go "all out" with a SR setup
I disagree, you will always have more control of valve events at all point of contact on a solid roller. Will it be worth it for the OP? probly not. Is he going to play with cam timing lash etc to get the most out of it? Probly not. He wants something to throw in and easy....

FYI I would like the world to know I was joking with SSRRR, we are very close friends and BFF's we grew up together and rode tricycles together, I love him like you love a dog.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

So youve done a spintron on your setup to see if there is anything to gain? I thought so.
No need. The valve train is stable. Valve adjustment has remained true, valve train components examined closely after every adjustment and power remains smooth all the way to peak and beyond.
I aint fired up LMAO, I like seeing you crack on everyone but have the same knowlwdge or less than most of the ones that HAVE a fast car and have tried a few things.
So the new course is to deflect and whine? So, in order for me to become credible, like you I'll have to rebuild my engine twice? Let me know. I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It uses the last known rpm cell and goes static. There have been those who've turned the stock PCM to 8000rpm.
If it goes static above 7000 rpm that isn't really a limitation for most. My fuel and timing is pretty much the same 7000 rpm and up. If you are optimized up to 7000, you will probably be a little rich over 7000, but not enough to make a ton of difference.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdacton
Will it be worth it for the OP? probly not. Is he going to play with cam timing lash etc to get the most out of it? Probly not. He wants something to throw in and easy...
I dissagree here. Im not looking for anything easy or just to throw in. If I go this route, I want the very most I can get out of the set up. I dont have the cash at the moment to get the entire set up such as shaft mount rockers etc, but wanted to know what would work untill I can afford to upgrade everything and if its worth the gains.
I dont know If you have followed my car or build but there is nothing half *** about it. I bought this thing basically bone stock(had a cat back) a yr ago and have been through just about every single part on the car, with no plans to stop anytime soon. Plus I love wrenching on it and it will give me something to do.

Fastfatboy,
I only have a little 355, so Im sure I would need to spin past 6500 to get what I want out of the set up. Hell my HR makes pk HP at 6400
Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
If it goes static above 7000 rpm that isn't really a limitation for most. My fuel and timing is pretty much the same 7000 rpm and up. If you are optimized up to 7000, you will probably be a little rich over 7000, but not enough to make a ton of difference.
So basically it keeps the same timing & fuel above 7k as when it hits the stock pcms limitations? If it doesnt need much more fuel/timing above that its not a big deal and I could spin it higher?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need. The valve train is stable. Valve adjustment has remained true, valve train components examined closely after every adjustment and power remains smooth all the way to peak and beyond.

So the new course is to deflect and whine? So, in order for me to become credible, like you I'll have to rebuild my engine twice? Let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Funny thats not what you said in another post on a solid roller, you said you have had to adjust them every 2000 miles or so. SO which is it?

SEE HERE.........Posted by SS RRR

I check valves ever two or so thousand miles and have found the lash to be a bit more than I like so I run through them. Once this is done a few times it takes no time to adjust valves and I don't feel it's a hindrance.

If you have to adjust that much after the initial adjustment, you got something going on, parts are wearing, geometry problem, something.

You reckon the reason mine HAVENT needed to be adjusted AT ALL in the last 3500 miles is the quality parts I have? SHaft rockers and such? You know, the stuff I dont need......And I have beat the **** out of this car the last 3000 miles.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
So basically it keeps the same timing & fuel above 7k as when it hits the stock pcms limitations? If it doesnt need much more fuel/timing above that its not a big deal and I could spin it higher?
If it goes static I don't see an issue. My junk likes to be short shifted, so the only time it really spends over about 7200 is in third. The old GEN 6 DFI would go static at 7000. I never had any issues with it. Of course, that is N/A. I don't have a clue about fuel demand with NOS or FI at high rpm.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds good, If I did go this route the car will stay NA for a while longer. At the point I sprayed it I would uprade to a Fast set up or similar!
Thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Ask LE, since he did your last setup, he'll know your current parts, goals,etc. He'll know.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

I will, but am tring to decide if its worth the investment.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Village Troll

If you have to adjust that much after the initial adjustment, you got something going on, parts are wearing, geometry problem, something.
More guessing... What part of this:
No need. The valve train is stable. Valve adjustment has remained true, valve train components examined closely after every adjustment...
do you not understand? You should see the valve sweep. There's nothing wrong with the geometry. If there was it would have shown a problem by now. You may beat the **** out of yours at 6500, but I beat the **** out of mine up to 7200. With the more experience I get with adjusting the valves the longer the adjustment has lasted.
BTW, before you did any weight reduction, what was your best ET and MPH? Something like mid 11's at 124?

Also, should I worry because I am not running your claim of 30psi at hot idle?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

More guessing... What part of this:

do you not understand? You should see the valve sweep. There's nothing wrong with the geometry. If there was it would have shown a problem by now. You may beat the **** out of yours at 6500, but I beat the **** out of mine up to 7200. With the more experience I get with adjusting the valves the longer the adjustment has lasted.
BTW, before you did any weight reduction, what was your best ET and MPH? Something like mid 11's at 124?

Also, should I worry because I am not running your claim of 30psi at hot idle?
At 3800 lbs it ran 11.02 @122

At 3600 lbs best is a 10.58@126

With a looser converter, the 4 holt tb and a retune, who knows?

Who said I shift mine at 6500? 1-2 shift is 6500, 2-3 is 6900, out the back door at 6800-7000 depending on DA.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

There are always gains to be had with a SR when compared to a HR. As far as parts NEEDED, just the lifters and springs. However it would be stupid to just do what is needed, esp. on a LTx engine. The geometry is inherently awful and shaft mounts would help with alignment, stability and maintenance. Bigger pushrods would help out immensely too so there is less deflection.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Village Troll

At 3800 lbs it ran 11.02 @122
Cool. At 3750lbs I have something to shoot for at least mph wise.
Originally Posted by ulakovic22
There are always gains to be had with a SR when compared to a HR. As far as parts NEEDED, just the lifters and springs. However it would be stupid to just do what is needed, esp. on a LTx engine. The geometry is inherently awful and shaft mounts would help with alignment, stability and maintenance. Bigger pushrods would help out immensely too so there is less deflection.
How about for a pushrod that is 6.125" long? It's either that or like I've stated, it all depends on the application. It is not just the LT1, but any SBC that has horrid valve train alignment/geometry issues.
I have learned I should listen to those who have no experience with SR applications using stud mount rockers on the internet instead of an engine builder who has been building LT1 engines for the last 10 years.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you use standard SBC solid roller lifters in an lt1?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

So the lifters are that tall, it allows you to run thats short of a PR? The short length alone should help a ton. Kinda like trying to break a shorter pc of pencil
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool. At 3750lbs I have something to shoot for at least mph wise.:

LMAO MPH????????? You got a solid roller 396 and a six speed, you looking for 122 mph? LMAO

The ricer mentality has taken over

WTF ever happened to what it ET's?

If you worry about mph, buy a Supra.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

why do guys assume you need to turn 7k+ rpm with a solid roller?

I shift at 6500, does not run any faster if you turn it harder. Where does all this 7k and 8k talk come from? your not running super stockers here
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Village Troll

LMAO MPH????????? You got a solid roller 396 and a six speed, you looking for 122 mph? LMAO
Sure. That's what you ran with what... a manly solid roller cam, aftermarket heads/intake/TB/wheels/tires/3800lbs/ so on and so forth, right?
I'm going to try that with my ***** cam with 17" ZR1 wheels up front, 26X16" ET Streets on '97 wheels out back, SLP Level II susp, stock casting heads/intake, at a 3750lb race weight and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Hmm should I go SR???