LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What can cause a random miss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What can cause a random miss?

It started a while back and has gotten progressively worse. You will be driving along and it will just BLIP and then go away. Just studders one time and shakes the shifter, then goes back to normal.

Used to only do it at light throttle inputs, now it will do it even if you're on it hard.

Started getting really bad at the track last night and slowed me down quite a bit.

I have a plug wire that had a nick from a pulley in it, and I put silicone on it temporarily, I cant make it spark at idle but I'm thinking that might be the issue. I'm gonna change all the wires on that side and see if it helps.

I also made my own 02 extensions when I did the headers, could that cause it?

If it's not those two things I dont know what it could be...

Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man,
not sure what the issue is, i'm having a similar problem though....94 z28 M6...misses and shudders so hard it shakes the shiter violently like its going to come out of gear. only happens under WOT or partial throttle situations, really f*****g annoying. robs my power and fuel economy.
so dude if you get it figured out elt me know, all my wires look good, a little dirty but no obvious signs of damage.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I scanned the car and it had several codes but the ones that kept coming back are code 16 low res failure and code 36 high res failure.

Sometimes these will throw the SES light.

Ideas?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gregrob
Well I scanned the car and it had several codes but the ones that kept coming back are code 16 low res failure and code 36 high res failure.

Sometimes these will throw the SES light.

Ideas?
if i remember what i've been reading through the forums, is that means opti is going?

I'm in the same position as you are. I got to looking under the hood the other night to put in a new iac. Ran better but still missing, and guess what my previous problem was back and it was the damn plug wire arcing on my driver side header again. Long story short. I'm getting a newer design header that works with b'bodies w/ the aluminum heads with angle plugs.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

I doubt it is the home made extensions. I was a cheap a$$ and did mine and have had no issues with them at all.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a low res code, turned out it was from a low battery, letting it sit too long. Charged that battery and the code was gone.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Battery is good.

I checked the 02 extensions and they are fine as well, both 02's read the same.

I'm thinking it is the opti spark, with the codes 16 and 36 being thrown and the way it is acting.

I have contacted Dynaspark to see what they will do about repairing the uvnit. My buddy bought it a couple years back, but it only has 5K at most on it, I just put it on this spring when I bought the car from him.

We will see what they say. But if it happens again I will have to eat a lot of crow for the pimping of DS I've done. It is engineered to be better in every way than the OEM unit, so it should be. Not to mention what you pay for one of the damn things.

I might try to locate a good cap and rotor to put on my old OEM one and see if that fixes the problem, that way I can at least drive the car when/if I send the dynaspark in to them.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Your opti is failing! Anytime you get high/low res codes, opti is normally the culprit. 96-97 cars will throw crankshaft sensor codes as well when the opti is taking a ****.

No, Im not smoking anything either lol!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Your opti is failing! Anytime you get high/low res codes, opti is normally the culprit. 96-97 cars will throw crankshaft sensor codes as well when the opti is taking a ****.

No, Im not smoking anything either lol!

X1000^^^
You my friend have a bad opti. Gota love the LT1.

Quick Reply: What can cause a random miss?