LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Here we go again.....LT1 build-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here we go again.....LT1 build-up

Need suggestions for an LT1 build. I plan on running no more than 6lbs boost from a s/c but want to also shoot a 50-100 shot of nitrous. This will be a backyard rebuild and I do not expect it to stay togeather for long, but a season would be nice. Can it be done?

Cheap is good but not if I tear it up on the first pass. Oh... is a stock cubed LT1 with 1.6 rr, 227 Crane cam, milled Lloyd Elliot LE1 heads, long tubes with ORY and 3200 stall.

Question is what pistons should I go with, what compression should I aim for and what should I do to reinforce the lower end?

I was thinking 315-325 rwhp motor only

415-425 rwhp pushing 6 lbs boost

465-525 rwhp with the above on the funny gas.

I am thinking with proper hook I would run high 10's- low 11's.

Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id just run a 150 shot on it. I made 461 rwhp with a hotcam only car and 150 shot.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pyro719
Id just run a 150 shot on it. I made 461 rwhp with a hotcam only car and 150 shot.
I want a "go fast street car" but a monster track car too. I figured the s/c and stout motor for the street then a little juice on top for track days.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would have to maintain higher compression, which wouldn't work as well with a supercharger setup...

But idk man, either way all options sound expensive.

Why not save up once and do it right the first time and not worry about replacing it for ~100k? (user pending)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Would have to maintain higher compression, which wouldn't work as well with a supercharger setup...

Why not save up once and do it right the first time and not worry about replacing it for ~100k? (user pending)
100K? (user pending)?

The saving up is not the issue, Is it possible to run both N2O and a s/c at the same time with a stock short block? Once it goes pop (when does) then I will go forged rotating assembly and build it right with just a slight bore. I have the old engine that I can build up but I also have a new re-manned in the crate on my garage floor. I figure I would use the new engine to try a budget build while I take the old one the forged route (but only if I have to).

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

possibly if you have the tune spot on. for a little while anyway. i would do just nitrous and no S/C and it would probably last a lot longer...

If you need them, I have brand new stock rods,pistons and bearings all attached, just pulled them out of a brand new '97 shortblock when i was having my motor assembled. Let me know if you need them.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

to run a supercharger u will need to run low compression with dished pistons for the supercharger to run right at its best i dont know about the nitrous i hate nitrous but its up to u if u want if it was me i would run s/c alone
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Usually when running nitrous to its best effect you want more compression, but running a lower compression s/c setup you will still maintain a high static compression, (you are compressing air that the s/c has already compressed). The main thing you should worry about is if you have enough ignition to fire the cylinders. if you stick with a 9.5 :1 comp/ratio with only 6lbs of boost, you should be just fine, remember to go alittle colder on the plugs when running the spray. i've seen the stock rods handle upwards of 420 to 460 hp without failure, but when you push it above 6000rpms they will handle less. Stick with your plan, the less CR the less power but more longevity.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by marc97taws6

Why would he have to maintain a higher compression? He is running a Supercharger therefore he wants to lower the compression, nitrous LIKES higher compression but it can work fine with whatever you give it.

Quick Reply: Here we go again.....LT1 build-up