LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

measuring pushrod length

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default measuring pushrod length

It is coming down to ordering my pushrods and i still havent reasured them yet. I will be running pro mag 1.6 nsa rr w/ poly locks and i do have the push rod measuring tool. My question is is there any tricks to doing this with the Poly Locks? do i screw them down all the way, leave a little slack? Any tips will be greatly appreciated since i am wanting to order them today.

Also where can i order some chromeoly hardened pushrods at? I have been told by many to get Trickflow pushrods.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
It is coming down to ordering my pushrods and i still havent reasured them yet. I will be running pro mag 1.6 nsa rr w/ poly locks and i do have the push rod measuring tool. My question is is there any tricks to doing this with the Poly Locks? do i screw them down all the way, leave a little slack? Any tips will be greatly appreciated since i am wanting to order them today.

Also where can i order some chromeoly hardened pushrods at? I have been told by many to get Trickflow pushrods.
I believe I ordered my trickflow pushrods, guideplates, and length checker from summit racing.

I pulled this from a writeup I had on my cam install...

I set my pushrod length checker at the stock height of 7.200" and installed it with the roller rocker and weaker spring from Ace hardare. I could only install one side of the retainer to fit the checker in there.

I marked the top of the valve stem with a green highlighter. I then placed the rocker arm on the stud. I twisted the pushrod checker in my fingers while tightening down the rocker arm bolt. When the pushrod checker was no longer able to move I tightened the nut an additional half turn then tightened down the retainer.

I then turned the crank over by hand about four times while watching the timing mark.

I then removed the rocker arm to see where the wear pattern was on the valve stem. It was more toward the exhaust side indicating that the pushrod length was too long. I kept shortening the pushrod length checker and repeating the process until the wear patter was in the middle.

This was what the wear looked like the last time I did it. I'm bringing the pushrod checker to a local machine shop today to get it measured with a digital caliper. Most auto stores I tried did not have one long enough. I'll let you know what lenght it is.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also need to look at your lifter to make sure it is not plunging down when you are rotating engine. (this is the purpose of changing to a lighter spring for checking)

I wound up taking apart one of my lifters and adding various washers inside to create a solid lifter. You just need to focus on wear pattern on valve tip to arrive at the correct length. I got a caliper at harbor freight to measure my summit style adjustable pushrod. I also had to use moly lube to get any kind of mark that would stay on valve tip.

Here is a link to my thread a while back when doing this for the first time.
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...anton+pushrods
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here's a couple articles I used when doing mine

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Pushrods/

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ods/index.html
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay thanks a lot
Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I'm still a bit confused guess since the pictures have expired

do I need to get another lifter or can I remove one and dissemble it place washers in it then return it to normal when finished?

Last edited by Atl_monte; 08-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atl_monte
I'm still a bit confused guess since the pictures have expired

do I need to get another lifter or can I remove one and dissemble it place washers in it then return it to normal when finished?
Don't risk ruining a lifter. Just remove the valve spring and put a light spring from a hardware store in its place. I use the spring out of a master cylinder, works perfect.

You can make an adjustable length pushrod for testing. Just cut a pushrod and find a thread that fits in it sort of snug. With a couple of nuts you have an adjustable pushrod. I cut about an inch out, find a bolt with a long thread that fits and cut the bolt so I just have the threads. It's easy. Some people thread the pushrod and weld the bolt to the other end. If you can do all that it's easier to use, but not necessary. BTW: This is a lot easier to do with the intake off, but it can be done with it on. You just have to grind the nuts to fit through the guide plate. Make sure the thread fits snug or it will cause more problems than it's worth.

Al 95 Z28
Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing wrong with disassembling a lifter at all. They are meant to be taken apart, hence the snap rings that hold them together.

And a PR length measuring tool is like $20.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Nothing wrong with disassembling a lifter at all. They are meant to be taken apart, hence the snap rings that hold them together.

And a PR length measuring tool is like $20.
I already purchased the comp cams measuring tool

Quick Reply: measuring pushrod length