LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opti/distributor problems in 83 regal any help appreciated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opti/distributor problems in 83 regal any help appreciated?

I figured the thread title would get some people in here. I have a 83 regal/Grand National clone with a 355 LT1 and built 4l60E.

the motor and transmission are out of a 94 corvette. I dont have much expirience with these engines I just bought the car this way. So I had to change the timing cover gaskets and when I put everything back together the car would barely crank and backfired through the intake. The car ran perfect before I took it apart but my guess is when I took the water pump off alot of anti-freeze/water dumped right onto the opti. I checked and double checked the firing order and it is correct. All the electronics are hooked up like they should be but I am not sure if I set the opti right since this is the first time I have ever done this. The picture below looks identical to my opti but the little splined shaft came out of the timing cover and the opti I put it back in and lined up the keyway in the cam gear and on the back of the opti. The opti then seated up to the cover perfect and I put everything back together. The manual says that the opti can only go on one way but I still want to be sure I didnt miss a step maybe. What do yall think?

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

here is a pic of the car its in and some pretty ladies for yall to look at since I appreciate the help.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:35 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally I'd ignore such a FAQ, but since ya posted babes...

Based on your description of how the opti went on, you probably got it right. It can be forced on wrong by a hamfisted monkey, but only goes on one way if you are paying attention.

I guess you didn't take the opti apart for inspection while you had it off?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Have you verified spark at the plugs? If you dumped a bunch of antifreeze on it, it's probably toasted.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

x2 ^ but u need to check for spark to make sure...
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sbs
Normally I'd ignore such a FAQ, but since ya posted babes...

Based on your description of how the opti went on, you probably got it right. It can be forced on wrong by a hamfisted monkey, but only goes on one way if you are paying attention.

I guess you didn't take the opti apart for inspection while you had it off?
I took the cap off but no I did not take the opti apart I was not aware you could do that. What would I be looking for when I pull it apart?

I am pretty sure it has spark b/c it acted like it was trying to fire then backfired through the intake. I will check spark at the plugs though.

n20camaro - Is there a way to avoid anti-freeze/water dumping onto the opti when pulling the water pump?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

I put an old heavy towel over it.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

I guess Im gonna try a new opti this week. I really hope that is it b/c Ive done this like three times already.

Can I put the distributor on and hook the wires up and crank it to make sure it is working properly before putting the water pump and everything else back on?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:00 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
I took the cap off but no I did not take the opti apart I was not aware you could do that. What would I be looking for when I pull it apart?
Worn contacts on the cap/rotor.

Carbon tracking on the cap.

Rusty sensor parts or bearing.

Also check the wiring connectors/harness for corrosion.

Originally Posted by maroon88iroc
Can I put the distributor on and hook the wires up and crank it to make sure it is working properly before putting the water pump and everything else back on?
Yes.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

well I took the opti back out and took it apart that was the problem, the inside was all rusted up. I didnt need to take it apart before b/c I wasnt replacing the rotor. I got a new opti today Im going to try and throw it in today or tomorrow thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok I put the new opti in today and it is still skipping.. I couldnt really trouble shoot because I didnt put the whole pump back on and I didnt want to run it too long. It actually runs now which is better than what it was doing before but it is skipping a decent amount and it is hard to crank.

When I put the new opti in I ligned it up correctly with the keyway and it slid on and pushed right up flush with the timing cover so Im pretty sure it was installed correctly. The problem I have is I dont think the problem is anthing else b/c the car was running perfect before I took it apart.

can I do this like a normal chevy and get the engine at TDC and the rotor should be pointing at the #1 cylinder plug on the distributor cap correct, I guess that would tell me if the rotor is on backwards but I dont think it would run if it was on backwards? what else should I be checking. It really is running like two plug wires are crossed but I went through the firing order twice I guess Ill try that again too.

also forgot to mention when I cranked it up I didnt have the water pump or the harmonic damper installed would running it without the damper cause it to run like this? also since the water pump was off the coolant temp sensor is not getting a ready either. on my scanmaster I have a dtc 15 but I dont know what that code is for I lost my technical manual.