LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Racetronix good bad, yes no? whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Racetronix good bad, yes no? whats the deal

I've heard of a lot of Racetronix failures as of late.

I realize they are reselling a Walbro pump but the Walbro in line pumps I've used before have performed awesome. Not sure why the in tank ones they're selling are dieing all of a sudden.

Should I trust them, or is there a better alternative out there?

Will be running E85, ported heads and NITROUS
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really>? Since when have they been having a bunch of failures? I sure hope that is simply here-say, because I just got done with my install of the pump/upgraded wiring harness this past weekend. The kit was great and had everything needed for a quick and simple installation. I was very impressed with the thoroughness of the kit and supplies provided. And apparently my low fuel pressure hindered my drivability quite a bit, because I had a noticeable increase in idle quality and low/high rpm drivability.

Anyhow, I really would like to hear more about this subject, simply to know if I am facing immanent failure. It would BLOW ROYALLY if my pump failed after I finally got my nitrous kit fully installed.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine failed two days later. Customer service sucked ***(as in none). I wouldn't buy their kit again. There are other companies that sell pretty much the same kit for a little less as well.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good god links man links.

I know Granatelli and Holley have a kit. Any others?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM sent, I don't think they are a sponsor.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First one I had I never received and they basically told me to **** myself and I never got my money back. Then I found one from a member here that was brand new and paid another mere 200 for it. Its been fine for a yr now but you can by any wahlbro even on ebay for a 100 and it will be just fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

racetronix kit is a walbro pump and the kit had everythiing, the install went smooth and has been working flawlessly for a year now, the rumor is that the higher volume pumps generate a little more heat so it is really important to keep it submerged in gasoline for heat dissipation so I am sure some failures can be attributed to running the tank low.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far so good for mine...
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing but good experiences with mine.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

I've had my racetronix kit now for 3 years. No problems at all. I'm happy with my purchase.

FWIW, my car is not my daily driver, so the pump likely only has around 5k on it. Also, I never let my gas tank get below approx 1/3 full. And in the winter when the car is not driven, I store it with a full tank of gas.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the problem most people have with walbros lies in other areas taken for granted like aged/insufficient wiring harnesses. im on my 3rd one in 5k miles because i learned the hard way. right now i have rewired the pump to get a minimum of 12.5 volts when running, a dedicated voltage gauge to monitor power to at the pump, a trouble light to indicate when the pump relay kicks off plus a fuel pressure gauge to catch any issues before i am left stranded in the middle of an intersection (which has happened more than once). if you got all the electronic bugs figured out before hand you will save yourself a lot of trouble. yes their customer service is terrible because in their eyes it is always the cars fault not the pump. whether or not that is the case what hurts your claim the most is the age of the vehicle.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought the racetronix kit came with a new, upgraded wiring harness.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The harness can be purchased as a separate item, although some vendors insist that you get both (which is the kit). A possible cause for pump failure is the low voltage/current at the pump due to insufficent wire gauge used for the stock pump. The harness solves that issue by using a much heavier gauge wire connected straight to the alternator or battery.
Racetronix would prefer that you buy from a vendor, they don't even have a phone number posted. If you buy from a vendor, they provide very good service, from my experience with Lonnie's Performance (a sponsor).
At one time there was a bad batch of Walbro pumps due to a faulty piece from a supplier. But that has been sorted out and there should not be any in the pipeline.
The other brands out there are Walbros as well, at least the Granetilli I had was actually a Walbro 340 pump.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the racetronix kit and noticed the booster pump ports that you could add to the harness. What are the Horsepower limitations of the walboro thats included in the kit? I am trying to make sure I have enough pump.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

A properly installed Racetronix system should support just in excess of 600 RWHP in a forced induction application. The addition of a pump booster will push you just past 650. Anything over that will require a twin pump setup or a sumped fuel cell setup.

FWIW, we are Racetronix's primary US distributor. I have not noticed any increase in pump failures recently or at any time. Most pump failures can be directly attributed to many of the reasons stated above, the number one being inadequate grounding of the harness.

I've personally installed hundreds of Racetronix kits on many different types of vehicles in the last 10 years or so. I have had very few come back and then only after 5 years or so which in my opinion is a pretty good life span for a high performace pump.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Shane Burgess
Co-Owner, VP Operations
Thunder Performace Group, Inc.
D/b/a Thunder Racing
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

I run a Racetronix 255 pump with the booster kit, works great.
I also run their 42# injectors; they're loud, but they work great.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been running my Racetronix kit for over three years, I think I had gotten it through Thunder Racing actually. Still see 43 psi at WOT. The car is my daily driver I've put probably 40k miles on this pump.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said I thought the product was bad. I really think I just received a bad pump. It was after they more or less told me "tough ****" to my pump that was a few days old is when I lost faith in them. Awesome product, **** company IMO.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I installed a Racetronix pump this last summer and it failed on me with maybe 500 miles on it. I just actually replaced it with another Racetronix pump but my I'm starting to think the failure was my fault. I would store the car for weeks at a time with low fuel and my thoughts are that moisture got in there and killed the pump. I will never really know but chances are that was why.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I installed a Racetronix pump this last summer and it failed on me with maybe 500 miles on it. I just actually replaced it with another Racetronix pump but my I'm starting to think the failure was my fault. I would store the car for weeks at a time with low fuel and my thoughts are that moisture got in there and killed the pump. I will never really know but chances are that was why.

Well my pump has been installed for months on about 1/2 tank. I have not used it yet, so we will see how your theory goes.

Quick Reply: Racetronix good bad, yes no? whats the deal