LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

getting pacceters LT. what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default getting pacceters LT. what else do I need?

getting pacceters Lt with and x pipe alone. no cats. how long do the o2 extensions wires should be? what do I do thit the sensonr on the cat? my car is a 97 lt1. are they single cat or two? another thing I don't want to mess with the police. would that setup be to loud to drive or I can get away with?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you considered any stainless steel alternatives? The pacesetters are going to rust, and there seem to be quite a few affordable, stainless alternatives available these days.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he lives in florida, they won't rust as easily. thats only if he lived in a place with lots of snow. if my mind serves me correctly, u want one 12" extension and one 24" extension. u can also put new motor mounts while you're at it. I got that setup and Ive never been pulled over for noise, but whenever i get pulled over, i shut the car off so they don't get a whiff of the gas (usually for no front plate). if its like my 96 then u got two cats: the passanger side cat is underneath the front pass side of the car and the driverside is tucked underneath the left side of the motor. u should just unhook those sensors and just leave em outta the way.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
Have you considered any stainless steel alternatives? The pacesetters are going to rust, and there seem to be quite a few affordable, stainless alternatives available these days.
I saw the ones they are offering online but they all come with the air and egr crap. I took those thngs off days ago. now if ther were selling race style headers I would take it anyday.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

These are stepped, but I suspect you could find others if you looked. That was just the second link that turned up in an EBay search for LT1 headers.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pacesetters will be fine, you will get an engine code until you have the rear o2s tuned out or get sims for them. I would invest is some better gaskets I prefer the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal dead softs but any other gasket than the ones that come with the headers will be good.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Default ebay headers

Check this babys out for 320 shipped they are just replicas in stainless steel . There is a thread about this havin good clearances on this section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...item27ab3dc66b
Old 11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

If you plan to keep the car for awhile, get stainless headers. You'll be happier in the long run. If you buy from someone on EBay, I would confirm with the seller that they're race headers, and don't have emissions.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When we installed my LTs, we also installed:

NGK TR55 spark plugs
MSD plug wires & coil
Spark plugs boot protectors (also lots of zip ties)
Bosch 02 sensors (plug-in extensions)
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

where I can get a x pipe for my car to fit it with the paccetters LT?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

You can pick up a x pipe at about any online mail order performance parts supplier.

I also changed out my plugs and wires during my header swap just due to the fact that the current plugs had to come out. I was using Auto lite 104s and they are not to pricy so....why not. Another person listed plug wire boot protectors. These are a very good thing to have with LTs. Also go to Wal-mart or the auto parts store and buy a bag of Zip-ties. These will save your wires from touching in other areas. Do your best to route them close to the block and tie them off where they wont move around.

I used the 02 extentions that came with my Pacesetters and they worked out just fine...If your good with wiring. If not buy some pre made and save yourself the head ache. Very good gaskets and good header bolts are going to be a life saver as well. They will always need tightened from time to time but the fewer times the better. I used Stage 8 bolts because i wanted to try the clips but the clips are a PITA if you ever have to take them off. I picked up a snap-on end wrench that was designed for headers and small areas and it was always handi on a warm engine bay.

Do you plan on having your headers welded up to the exhaust or are you going to clamp it. I never liked the idea of welding the headers up because when you need to pull them for one reason or another you have have to hack at them with a saw or a torch and it will end up a fugly mess. I got some of the Walker lap joint clamps and they work pretty well. If you remove them after the are tightened to the max you need to replace them. They wont seal up as good and your going to end up with a small leak.

I cant think of any thing else except maybe a box of ban-aids,ASPRIN, and some hand cleaner....

here is a pic of my pacesetter LTs after being hit with some VHT high temp treated paint.

here is a pic after they had been run for about 2 months.

you cant see alot of them, but most will flake off up by the heads and i was shocked that the VHT didnt. I Live in Oklahoma and even though the car was never driven in the weather, i wanted to try and make them last. Worked out very well when the right steps are taken during painting

Last edited by DroppedM6Z; 11-20-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x2 on better gaskets. My Pacesetters came with shiiiiitty ones... I need to replace them after only a few months already.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

will Fel-Pro Performance Z1438 - Exhaust Header Gasket do the job?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

are this the bolts you guys were talkin about? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2347
Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ikaros23
are this the bolts you guys were talkin about? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2347
YES those are the bolts. Also I would look for some Mr.Gasket copperseals...good for me.

Quick Reply: getting pacceters LT. what else do I need?