LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

valve covers wont fit with new top end

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cork gaskets with gasketmaker is the way to go on cantons. Put the gasketmaker on both sides of the cork gasket and dont over tighten them let me repeat do not over tighten them. Mine seal fine and look badass!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Proform make very nice centerbolt valve covers that don't require clearancing or get a set of LT4 valve covers if you can find them.

They don't require clearancing on the inside, however in an F-bod application, they won't clear the alternator. I modified a set to work on my car, clearing the alternator, but wasn't too happy with the outcome.

They aren't all that ridgid, and I had problems trying to get them to seal on my engine. It wasn't a gasket problem, as I put dabs of RTV in the corners to hold the gaskets in place (the silicone gaskets that GM recommends for these covers), but I couldn't get the cover bolts to stay snug. I'd check them every couple of weeks, they'd work loose, I'd snug them up, they'd loosen, eventually, the covers sort of "bowed" in the middle, and that was it.....
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the poly locs hitting the valve covers. I know, I had the same issue. All I diid was get a set of proform centerbolt vc's and trimed the alternater as required to run the tall vc's. all works good now.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Try cutting more material from the valve cover, I bet that was your problem and now you went and spent useless money on a new set of valve covers for nothing.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

I will guarantee the only interferrence is the poly locs. I just went through the same problem. the poly locs did not allow the vc's to sit all the way down on the head. you can remove the poly locs and the valve covers will fit. so a cheap option would be to get regular rocker bolts and ditch the poly locs or get so vc's that fit. I'm running 1.6 nsa rr's with poly locs

I went with the proform vc's
Engine pic #1
Engine pic#2
Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

those look nice, i already ordered the cantons, which i wanted anyway so this was more of a reason, i hope i dont have sealing issues, and ill prob either mod the correct way and save my stockers or sell them as i need cash bad
Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=illusions;12663844]I will guarantee the only interferrence is the poly locs. I just went through the same problem. the poly locs did not allow the vc's to sit all the way down on the head. you can remove the poly locs and the valve covers will fit. so a cheap option would be to get regular rocker bolts and ditch the poly locs or get so vc's that fit. I'm running 1.6 nsa rr's with poly locs

Everyone here pretty much is using polylocks and DO NOT have any issues with the valve covers sitting flush, so why would ONLY you 2 people have issues??
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
.....Everyone here pretty much is using polylocks and DO NOT have any issues with the valve covers sitting flush, so why would ONLY you 2 people have issues??
I think it depends on the poly locks that you use. When I first installed my roller rockers, I tried to use the really slick, easy to adjust, ARP poly locks. They were too tall, however, and the OE valve covers wouldn't work. I removed the ARPs, went with the "stubby" poly locks that came with my rockers, and they were really awkward to adjust, but the OE covers worked.

However, I still wanted to use the ARP polys, so that's when I modified the Proform valve cover, and thought I was all set. But then I had the previously mentioned issues with the valve cover, so I HAD to go back to the stubby polys, and then the OE covers worked.

In the picture the OP posted, it sure looks to me like he has some really tall poly locks, so that would cause issues with the OE valve covers.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I use the poly's that came with the 1.6 comp pro mag's. I couldn't trim anymore from the vc. When asked the question on other gm boards it came back as a common problem. it's good to see most people here are out of the norm and have either special gm vc's or midget poly's. I'll keep mine and my taller vc's they were only $100 and look better than the gm ones.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Illusions' has the exact Proform vcs I have and was talking about, there cast aluminum so there is no way for them to "bow from overtightening " as someone else suggested. As for altenator clearance I don't have that issue with the SpeedInc accessory drive kit I have, it moves the alt to drivers side lower where the smog pump used to be. I can run any valve cover I want including the tall polished ones I'll be putting on with my new stud girdle this spring.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Everyone here pretty much is using polylocks and DO NOT have any issues with the valve covers sitting flush, so why would ONLY you 2 people have issues??
As mentioned the poly locks could be taller. I bought some knock off CC HiTechs that had tall poly locks. The solution was to order the shorter locks from Summit.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
They don't require clearancing on the inside, however in an F-bod application, they won't clear the alternator. I modified a set to work on my car, clearing the alternator, but wasn't too happy with the outcome.
I've read this a few times before and don't understand why this is. Are they genuine GM valve covers? I have LT4's on my engine right now and they fit perfectly.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
.....I've read this a few times before and don't understand why this is. Are they genuine GM valve covers? I have LT4's on my engine right now and they fit perfectly.
No, they are not genuine GM valve covers, they are "made in China" under a licensing agreement with GM.

To "97Z28ss", the covers aren't all that beefy, so the combination of a relatively thin casting, combined with no internal bracing and engine heat over time, the covers DO distort. Don't believe me? Send me adequate postage, and you can HAVE mine.......
Old 12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by illusions
It's the poly locs hitting the valve covers. I know, I had the same issue. All I diid was get a set of proform centerbolt vc's and trimed the alternater as required to run the tall vc's. all works good now.
Same problem and Exactly what I did.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

from the first picture those look like cc pro mags??? i just put those on my LE ported stock castings and cut the stock vc s fit like a glove.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im hearing that the cork is **** for these covers and to use the rubber gasket, put a dab of RVT on the back side and let it dry on the cover before installing then install as one unit and they wont leak, i have stock ported heads and they say they seal just fine on them
Hey:

Make sure who is feeding you that info actually owned a set of Cantons.
the guy I sold them to modded and fixed them by using cork gaskets I just spoke to him about it. He says they no longer leak.. I used the rubber gaskets, I purchased them when they first came out, and just did not have the time to deal with it and did not want to get into issues with the local housing authority, as our deed and covenets have a local law against oil leaks from autos marking the driveways. They leaked bad, and I could not get them to tighten enough not to leak, I am pretty sure they got overtighten by me and that made them worse. I got a warning from the LHA and that was it went to Proforms on that car and that fixed my issue. Sold the Cantons a few years later to a local guy for $50, and I found out he still uses them.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Hope you have better luck with them.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 12-26-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular