LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2010 LTX Shootout Classes & Rules are Posted

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
is that with converter??? can't be.....

yeah it probably is lighter than a 4L60 without all the electronic bs.... I know a T56 is lighter...
T56 is pretty damn light for sure.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:17 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

I am more interested in the minimum weights, we aint racing coupe Mustangs...I mean come on 3075 lbs min weight in Mod. Geez do I have to have doors and front clip?

amen brother! we can represent the 3600 # club! it is a sacrifice for having a legit street car!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
why?
a 700r4 and a 4L80e never came behind an LT1, so why allow these, and not allow a th350 or 400? they're both OEM type transmissions..

if it werent for this one rule, I feel that I would be a very competitive contender for the extreme street N/A class.
but I have nothing for the modified N/A class, I might do good in the 11.99 to 11.50 index class.

ah well... beech bend is only an hour from my in-law's house anyway. I'll be there regardless.
Join the club. I have already debated this one.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28rob18
y no ls1 computer in the street classes????
you can join my club too lol. already tried it.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
you can join my club too lol. already tried it.
I feel your pain. But, I think that these guys are doing the right thing. They have to draw a line somewhere. I know that you guys see these things as inocent modifications. The truth is that allowing LS1 computers and TH350's into street classes opens the door for a lot of fast cars that would normally run MOD.

For myself, I would rather not have to carry that extra 100 lbs in MOD N/A. But, I know that there are a lot of cars out there that will have a hard time making the minimum weight, so 3175 lbs ends up being a decent compromise.

The bottom line with events like this is that they are as much a social event as a race. It is an opportunity for us all to get away from the key board and have a little face-to-face time.

You never know, you might even get your photo into GM High Tech Performance! (Unless your name is Mike and you drive a red Formula!)
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I feel your pain. But, I think that these guys are doing the right thing. They have to draw a line somewhere. I know that you guys see these things as inocent modifications. The truth is that allowing LS1 computers and TH350's into street classes opens the door for a lot of fast cars that would normally run MOD.
I agree, that is why i am not going to argue the decision. I just hope that this changes in the future as more people do it so the platform can progress. While I completely understand that an LS1 PCM can be a huge advantage on nasty N/A builds, (and even nitrous builds too), I'd like people to realize that there are even more advantages to running one on a street car. A 4x OBD1 setup with its low resolution tables will NEVER run as smoothly as a 24x system at part throttle, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to tune. More resolution, is more resolution, is more resolution. And then there's the reliability side of things. If i was starting from scratch on a bone stock car, the LS1 PCM would be one of my first mods!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
I agree, that is why i am not going to argue the decision. I just hope that this changes in the future as more people do it so the platform can progress. While I completely understand that an LS1 PCM can be a huge advantage on nasty N/A builds, (and even nitrous builds too), I'd like people to realize that there are even more advantages to running one on a street car. A 4x OBD1 setup with its low resolution tables will NEVER run as smoothly as a 24x system at part throttle, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to tune. More resolution, is more resolution, is more resolution. And then there's the reliability side of things. If i was starting from scratch on a bone stock car, the LS1 PCM would be one of my first mods!
I'm with you on that. The first thing that I do with every LT1 build is toss the factory PCM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
The bottom line with events like this is that they are as much a social event as a race. It is an opportunity for us all to get away from the key board and have a little face-to-face time.

You never know, you might even get your photo into GM High Tech Performance! (Unless your name is Mike and you drive a red Formula!)
I agree with the first part, and cant deny the 2nd
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AChotrod
yes!!! Picked mine u from Speedinc yesterday!! Nice looking pc!

Good. Its on my list of things to get this year.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Im not upset that I cant run the LS1 pcm in street class. But, I would just like to see the rules eventually opened up just to attract more people to the races. It seems like some of the rules were made for a niche group of cars.

If the rules are laxed, I think more people would be willing to make the 600-1000 mile (for some of us) to get to the shootout. To be honest, I highly doubt that I will race now. Its 600 miles from Michigan which equates to a large amount of money for a weekend of racing in a class I dont really want to be in
Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not upset that I cant run the LS1 pcm in street class. But, I would just like to see the rules eventually opened up just to attract more people to the races. It seems like some of the rules were made for a niche group of cars.

If the rules are laxed, I think more people would be willing to make the 600-1000 mile (for some of us) to get to the shootout. To be honest, I highly doubt that I will race now. Its 600 miles from Michigan which equates to a large amount of money for a weekend of racing in a class I dont really want to be in
The street class is made for legitimate street cars. Sure, I know that plenty of people drive their TH400s on the street, but they should have to race in a higher class. It keeps the ETs reasonable for this class. High 11's won last year, correct?

If you relaxed the rules then the people with low 12/high 11 sec cars would drop out because they wouldn't be fast enough anymore.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by buzz12586
High 11's won last year, correct?
You mean in EX Street NA? If so, yes.

I had the fastest qualifying pass for that class with a 11.91 @ 117, and the winning pass was a 12.0 @ 116.

My car fits the EX NA rules perfectly, therefore I plan to run this class again, and I also plan to be faster than high 11s
Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
You mean in EX Street NA? If so, yes.

I had the fastest qualifying pass for that class with a 11.91 @ 117, and the winning pass was a 12.0 @ 116.

My car fits the EX NA rules perfectly, therefore I plan to run this class again, and I also plan to be faster than high 11s

Yea Ex Street NA. I am hoping to run this year. I am taking some more weight out and hoping to go 11.89 in good air. Plus my auto will be more consistent than you 6 speed boys. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Me too!! Although still debating on runnin ES PA, maybe both.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by buzz12586
The street class is made for legitimate street cars. Sure, I know that plenty of people drive their TH400s on the street, but they should have to race in a higher class. It keeps the ETs reasonable for this class. High 11's won last year, correct?

If you relaxed the rules then the people with low 12/high 11 sec cars would drop out because they wouldn't be fast enough anymore.

Very true. If I changed out my solid motor mounts and my Wolfe rear sway bar, I could go back to Extreme Street NA. My car ran 11.0X's NA last trip to the local track and will be faster now that the converter has been restalled. It's good that the rules force me to run Modified, because the real Extreme Street guys would be pissed if cars like mine were allowed.

BTW, I still have a 4L60E.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Very true. If I changed out my solid motor mounts and my Wolfe rear sway bar, I could go back to Extreme Street NA. My car ran 11.0X's NA last trip to the local track and will be faster now that the converter has been restalled. It's good that the rules force me to run Modified, because the real Extreme Street guys would be pissed if cars like mine were allowed.

BTW, I still have a 4L60E.
Yea I like the breakdown. It gives some of the slower guys a chance to come out and race a heads up class. Look at the low car counts for the LSX shootout. Only a few cars have a chance of winning in each category.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Actually it's exactly the opposite. We make the rules and classes to attract as many as possible. This is the 3rd year for the shootout and this is also the 3rd year with different rules and classes. We've changed them each year to accommodate as many different types of builds as possible without sacrificing the competition level of the classes. We also have to keep in mind that there are more than just Camaros and Firebirds with LTX platforms. Impalas, Vettes, Roadmasters, etc also have to fit into these classes.

Opening up the rules "a little" may actually cause less people to show up because they are going to be out-spent, out-modded or plain out-run. The 2009 ES N/A winner went 12.09 @ 116 and the 2009 ES PA winner went 10.91 @ 128. Tweaking the rules in some cases may drop the ET by .5 or or even a full second. FWIW, I don't know too many 9.9x LTX powered street cars and it wouldn't be any fun for 90% of the cars in a class to get beat by a full second or more.

The heart of this event has really been about our community coming together for some fun and winning a class was just something that made the trip a little better. We'll be driving almost 2,000 miles round trip this time from TX and I'm sure there will be a few with a longer trip than us. So I hope you understand that we really do want as many people there as possible and I think it shows by our decision to move the event farther east and also later in the year. We listened to the guys from the northeast and east coast who wanted a chance to attend and now they have it.

Thanks for your feedback. We still hope to see you there.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula383
Opening up the rules "a little" may actually cause less people to show up because they are going to be out-spent, out-modded or plain out-run. The 2009 ES N/A winner went 12.09 @ 116 and the 2009 ES PA winner went 10.91 @ 128. Tweaking the rules in some cases may drop the ET by .5 or or even a full second. FWIW, I don't know too many 9.9x LTX powered street cars and it wouldn't be any fun for 90% of the cars in a class to get beat by a full second or more.

Well put. You can make up a tenth or two on the tree. Its going to be hard to make up 5+ tenths unless the other guy really screws up or breaks.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Larry's car flies with a 60e also. I cant beleive nobody agrees about no aftermarket heads in ES classes. Heads are one of the most important things when making big power.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula383
Actually it's exactly the opposite. We make the rules and classes to attract as many as possible. This is the 3rd year for the shootout and this is also the 3rd year with different rules and classes. We've changed them each year to accommodate as many different types of builds as possible without sacrificing the competition level of the classes. We also have to keep in mind that there are more than just Camaros and Firebirds with LTX platforms. Impalas, Vettes, Roadmasters, etc also have to fit into these classes.

The heart of this event has really been about our community coming together for some fun and winning a class was just something that made the trip a little better. We'll be driving almost 2,000 miles round trip this time from TX and I'm sure there will be a few with a longer trip than us. So I hope you understand that we really do want as many people there as possible and I think it shows by our decision to move the event farther east and also later in the year. We listened to the guys from the northeast and east coast who wanted a chance to attend and now they have it.

Thanks for your feedback. We still hope to see you there.
Well said. We put this race on for all of you........not just a select few. Otherwise we would have the race in Texas and hatchet the rules.

Quick Reply: 2010 LTX Shootout Classes & Rules are Posted