Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LPP Header Install

REPOST FROM LTXTECH.COM
http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...Header-Install
==============================

I received my new LPP headers yesterday and decided to go ahead and put them on last night. It seems like a lot of people want to know what they look like and how they fit, so I decided to make a post and share my results with everyone. I must say that upon first sight, these headers look awesome. The welds on the primaries and collectors are very nice and the finish like a mirror. The welds inside the primaries where they connect to the flange were ground and smoothed out also. For the most part, these headers were very, very easy to install. I'm sure having a tubular k-member helps, but I've also got a Canton oil pan which takes up quite a bit more space than a stock pan. I also have an A/C delete plate, so that makes the passenger side easy too. To install the driver side, you will have to remove the steering coupler. I would recommend removing the oil filter for some extra room and also the coolant temp sensor from the head so you don't break it.

As far as fitment issues are concerned, I only have two very minor issues with these headers. (1) The #8 primary is touching the frame rail. I'm hoping that since the motor has been out of the mounts and the k-member was recently dropped that I may get some space back after the car comes off the jack stands and a load is put back on the k-member and suspension and the engine settles in the mounts. (2) The #3 primary shrouds the oil filter location making it impossible to install a filter straight up from the bottom. You will have to install the oil filter by going from the side between a gap in the primaries. The other problem with this is that a deep oil filter won't fit that way as well (which is what I use).

So issues aside, here are some pics. Click on any to see a larger version.

1. Headers and y-pipe: The y-pipe comes in two pieces. There are also 3 clamps and set of gaskets included.

2. Headers only

3. Driver side. Plenty of room for the steering coupler

4. Driver side

5. Driver side

6. Passenger side

7. Passenger side close-up

8. Driver side close-up

9. Here you can see how the primary shrouds the oil filter location. A stock replacement filter will fit if you install it from the side instead of the bottom.

10. This shows the #8 primary touching the frame rail.

11. Although the O2 sensor bung is pointed up, there's plenty of room for the sensor here.

12. Plenty of room on the driver side between the primaries and k-member.

13. Plenty of room on the passenger side between the primaries and k-member.

Last edited by Formula383; 01-21-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can clearly see they redesigned the #1 primary. It is more swept inward toward the motor making more room at the steering coupler. That eliminates probably the biggest fitment issue compared the version 1 headers.

#8 is still hitting the frame rail huh?. If that is the case then they must not have addressed that problematic primary. I had to dent in the frame rail with a BFH to make adequate clearance. Not a biggie but you should not have to do that.

I also had a problem on my version 1 headers with the passenger header collector banging the K-member. Had to do some clearancing on the k-member with the grinder. Has this been improved?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Those look and fit astoundingly like my fleabay headers, just with a bit more angle on the first turn of the #1 primary (the way they should be made). Get that steering shaft back in and snap a couple more pics. Is your column shifted over at all from the stock position?

Mine cleared the passenger side frame easily with saggy 112k mile motor mounts but hit the stock K member on the drivers side in return.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
You can clearly see they redesigned the #1 primary. It is more swept inward toward the motor making more room at the steering coupler. That eliminates probably the biggest fitment issue compared the version 1 headers.

#8 is still hitting the frame rail huh?. If that is the case then they must not have addressed that problematic primary. I had to dent in the frame rail with a BFH to make adequate clearance. Not a biggie but you should not have to do that.

I also had a problem on my version 1 headers with the passenger header collector banging the K-member. Had to do some clearancing on the k-member with the grinder. Has this been improved?
I didn't have to clearance the k-member but I do have a tubular k-member though.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05HD
Interesting. Those look and fit astoundingly like my fleabay headers, just with a bit more angle on the first turn of the #1 primary (the way they should be made). Get that steering shaft back in and snap a couple more pics. Is your column shifted over at all from the stock position?

Mine cleared the passenger side frame easily with saggy 112k mile motor mounts but hit the stock K member on the drivers side in return.
I didn't move the column at all. I put the coupler in there temporarily to check the fit and there was plenty of room there as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal I look forward to putting mine in.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Good write up Kyle. I was thinking about getting a set of these too but not sure they are worth it over my hookers. Hookers still look like they have better plug access then these do.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Badass Kyle! They look good on your fancy/detailed car!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Cylinder heads look NICE!!!! So do the headers!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
9 Second Club

LPP headers are good and decently priced for stainless steel too.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racin96ss
Good write up Kyle. I was thinking about getting a set of these too but not sure they are worth it over my hookers. Hookers still look like they have better plug access then these do.
Thanks Chris. I'll let you know on the plugs when I do the first set.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Badass Kyle! They look good on your fancy/detailed car!
Thanks dude!

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Cylinder heads look NICE!!!! So do the headers!
I can't wait to get this new setup done!!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Are you running poly mounts? until you answer, that could possible be the #8 hitting the frame rail.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

I've got the factory style rubber mounts still. The k-member does have a poly bushing on that side.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

The number one issue everyone had was with the steering shaft clearance.
That was our number one priority to fix and then we made some other adjustments that people had told us they had issues with. We are sorry but not every header will fit the same way on every car We have tried our best to get our headers to fit the best they possibly can.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks about the deep filter not fitting. No LLP headers for me.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

just use a relocation kit. I recived my headers yesterday and they look awsome.

Josh
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by madhatter
That sucks about the deep filter not fitting. No LLP headers for me.
It was that way with the version 1 headers too. Also the Kooks IIRC. Just the way it is with those big primaries.

I had to go back to the OEM size filter and I still have a shelf full of tall K&N's doing nothing.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cwlblack2002ws6
The number one issue everyone had was with the steering shaft clearance.
That was our number one priority to fix and then we made some other adjustments that people had told us they had issues with. We are sorry but not every header will fit the same way on every car We have tried our best to get our headers to fit the best they possibly can.
Let me say that the intent of this thread was not to bash or complain about these headers. These are by far the best headers I have ever owned!! A lot of folks on the board were asking for pictures and information about fitment so I decided to post up. The two issues I mentioned are extremely minor in comparison to their overall quality and appearance.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IROC-Z28_CAMARO
just use a relocation kit. I recived my headers yesterday and they look awsome.

Josh
Agreed. These things are beautiful!! The relocation kit is definitely an option but I'm not really worried about the filter issue.

Quick Reply: LPP Header Install