LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Taking out a loan

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good clarification. Sadly with the recession it will still be horrible interest rates (I called myself just out of curiosity for a $2000 loan (no intention of getting one)) and because I am 19 (with good credit) they were like 24%. I was like ....... damn......

But hey man, like I said, check what your engine builder tells you $$$ wise for the above work merv and I recommended done including removal and installation and get back to us on that # so we can more realistically give you a price range as far as mods go
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Alright, spoke to a guy who's gonna pull out my old engine and swap in a re manufactured LT1, all new parts for $3K.

Anyone know where I can get a high- flow catalytic converter? I need something that will pass emissions. I'm not looking to spend the $250 as is advertised on Magnaflow's site, and I'm not even sure which one will work with my car. I have the stock y- pipe and a Magnaflow cat- back.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fix the civic, and keep the T/A. If you have to find a storage unit do it. I had to get rid of my first Camaro due to my parents leaving (they went to AZ). I hated the fact that I had to get rid of it, and my poor wife had to put up with me until I got another. Either way, save the car, and if you have to save your pennies until you can get the engine done, but don't ever rush it to make it something that "will work". Trust me, been there done it, that's why this car doesn't get anything until it's exactly what I want.....that and my wife won't let me do it unless she's sure she's not going to have to pay to redo it again
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Have you checked this guy out thoroughly ?

Check with 3 different shops and see if you can get some reference's before you jsut give this guy your cash

I don't want to see you get skated or stuck with some junk build

Bon
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Ok I am not sure that I believe the 24% interest rate thing. I know that you are majoring in that line of work...but there are many factors that play into determining interest rates. Such as credit to debt ratio. Even though you may have GREAT credit if you already have a lot of debt...i.e. car payment,credit cards, and other things. That can drive your interest rates sky high. Just over 1 year ago I took out a $5500 loan. It is called a signature loan which is UNSECURE debt meaning if I was to default on the loan that it is just a loss that the bank has to take...the same if I defaulted on my credit card. I have no colatteral to give them meaning they can not take anything to cover the remaining balance on the loan. I took the loan out to purchase my 95 T/A. It is a 36 month loan and my interest rate is 10.5%. And my payment is less than $150 a month. I am aware that is considerably higher than a rate for an actual car loan. But I am only 24 and the full coverage insurance is EXTREMLY high. So I got the signature loan so I don't have to pay full coverage insurance....But after all of that being said...I would keep the honda and save up and do the T/A when you are ready so you can get EXACTLY what you want...than to do something and not be happy with it.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just saying what I was quoted. Thats a good interest rate for that.. I'm surprised a bank would do something like that without requiring something as collateral. I'm almost 20, so not very much credit but good for my age and no car payment or any debt like that.

Keep the Honda and save is my opinion but its the mans money he can do what he wants I guess
Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vette0009
Have you checked this guy out thoroughly ?

Check with 3 different shops and see if you can get some reference's before you jsut give this guy your cash

I don't want to see you get skated or stuck with some junk build

Bon
Thanks F- bro! It's much appreciated

I've called basically every shop in the area and this guy is definitely legit. He gets his engines from ATK, comes with a 3 year warranty and he actually tried to talk me out of spending money. He told me to come in when the motor arrives and check it out to make sure I like what he's supplying me. I really don't think this guy is out to screw me over. He went over everything with me. He talked me out of a 383, an after- market cam, roller rockers (they'll void the warranty, he said, unless I want to pop them off to send the engine to get repaired), he seems legit.

I just want to thank everyone for all of their advice and input. I genuinely appreciate all of the help I've received and I'm happy to announce that I should be back in my car for the first time in a year and a half by next Friday! Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

He talked you out of a cam and roller rockers? The hell kind of performance shop are you taking your car to?

/off topic, but I also have a hard time believing the 24% interest rate. I also took out a signature loan for 5200 on a 36 month term and the interest rate is only at 9.5 as well.. I'm only 21 too.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Damn Marc.. 24%..**** THAT..

That and to the part about the Roller Rockers..I agree with the WTF..this guy sounds like a shady guy..he doesn't want to cover any performance parts..

Fix the Del Slo and drive it..keep them both. Trust me it's good to have a DD and a toy..that way you can do major mods.

What part of NY are you from?

Last edited by the_merv; 01-31-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Levittown (Long Island)

It's not a performance shop. It's just a repair shop that does all types of work (engine, transmission, suspension, general repairs, etc). He's not putting a warranty on the engine, the re manufacturing company does that. He's ready and willing to do any work I need done. He said he'll do a cam swap, headers, whatever. He just says that he thinks I should be careful what I do, as he knows I'm a kid and money is tight. He seems to be trying to talk me out of going in over my head, which is easy to do.. He said he'd do anything I wanted. I told him my tranny was notchy and he showed me a service bulletin about the skip shift causing a notchy feel. He was going to take care of it for me, but apparently it only cures the skip shift issue. He seems pretty straight- forward and no bullshit. He's proven everything I've called him out on, so I have no reason to doubt him.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah.. Why do you think I didn't take out the loan.. I was just curious what interest rates would be for me.

I then tried calling my dad's bank and they quoted me 7.9% for 36 months on a $4000 personal loan Too bad I'm not doing that.

The guy quoted $3000 for a brand new engine? I think you would be disappointed to spend all of that money and keep it stock though, if ya know what I mean
Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

The fastest thing I've driven in a year and a half is a Del Sol VTEC. My Trans Am, even stock, is going to feel like a rocket ship in comparison. I should be graduating from CNA classes in mid- April. I should be making decent money once I get a job in a hospital, or preferably in the psych ward. I'll probably save for a modded LS1 Vette or Camaro (which would get an LT1 front end swap) should I want a car to beat on. Maybe a turbo C4. I think I'm going to baby my Trans Am when I get it back. I want this thing to last me forever. I can imagine full bolt ons, but I think I'll draw the line there.

Quick Reply: Taking out a loan