LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What's all the fuss about LS1's? Is the LT1 that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 86formula
i wouldnt say every way possible. heavier chassis, standard flow cooling, weak aluminum block. the only REAL advantages are 15* heads (i think) factory, and aftermarket blocks for them.
"Weak aluminum block"???
"heavier chassis"???

This sounds like a pity party, and i can't believe as long as the Ls motors have been out that these goofy threads still pop up. You wanna make 500rwhp? great do a forged 383 or 396 with a little jug.

Want to do it N/a? It's going to take a pretty extreme LT motor, or a mild big c.i. LS motor.

The LT is definately inferior to the LS motors, big whoop. They better be, the LS motors were the next generation!

Sure you can compare "I can take a cammed LS with my LE2 headed/cammed/procharged LT1....blah blah blah", but i feel for you the day you run into a Ls with H/C/D1sc....

All I'm saying is dont have a pity party over your motor. If you got a thing for them, great, deal with it, but know you might be leaving some power on the table vs. a LS motor, thats all.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter with all the bickering... the LT1 is good in it's own right, but the truth is... how ever much you spend on a LT1, if you spend the same amount on an LS1... the LS1 is going to win. Some people don't like that and will spend whatever it takes to beat a LS1... I think that's fine I like strong willed people... but it doesn't change the facts... I like both motors and I'm fixing to build my LT1 hopefully... to me it's not a LT1 or LS1 thing, it's an F Body thing... as long as they're beating shitstangs I'm happy!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
"Weak aluminum block"???
"heavier chassis"???

This sounds like a pity party, and i can't believe as long as the Ls motors have been out that these goofy threads still pop up. You wanna make 500rwhp? great do a forged 383 or 396 with a little jug.

Want to do it N/a? It's going to take a pretty extreme LT motor, or a mild big c.i. LS motor.

The LT is definately inferior to the LS motors, big whoop. They better be, the LS motors were the next generation!

Sure you can compare "I can take a cammed LS with my LE2 headed/cammed/procharged LT1....blah blah blah", but i feel for you the day you run into a Ls with H/C/D1sc....

All I'm saying is dont have a pity party over your motor. If you got a thing for them, great, deal with it, but know you might be leaving some power on the table vs. a LS motor, thats all.
Well said.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to make it clear, The fastest True M6(6 forward gears and reverse) F-body is a LT1 and all the other stock block records are within tenths. Also the opti is the most advanced ignition system GM ever used, its more of a placement and durability issue. When it works it works great!!!!

Quick Reply: What's all the fuss about LS1's? Is the LT1 that bad?