LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: What length rods should I use?
5.7"
20.00%
6"
75.00%
Other
5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

5.7" or 6" rods??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not necessarily going for power with the rods as I am the best option for my setup. I am going to be spending money on the rebuild, I just wanna make sure its doen right the first time.

TPiS DID play with these heads some. I think they are about as far ported as the casting will let them go, but I havent looked very hard. I will when they are off though trust me, and if they can be then Iwill port them.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

its been described to me that anything that will create a higher piston speed will make a sub-par head "work" harder.

now... in a motor that you're probably not going to peak anywhere above 6k rpm, I seriously doubt it's going to matter.

I've always pondered the 5.7" vs. 6.0" rod debate, and still wonder, which weighs more? .300" of rod material, or .300" of 4" piston material? the piston isn't being shortened by .300" so maybe a 5.7" rod/piston combo might yield a lighter reciprocating mass. which is definately beneficial in a N/A setup.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
There's a lot more to rings than weight.
They don't seem to understand that. Ring package, cylinder wall finish, and ring groove dimensions and finish. As much power there as any intake manifold. We found almost another twenty last winter just in honing.

Btw, Bobby & Jeff have a friend of mine's LT1 stocker at their shop right now. Red F body from Texas. Belongs to a nice young man.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot more to rings than weight.
Yea i know.... Perhaps you missed the part where i said i was going to pull the 2 sets to see what the differences are in drag. Which will give an indication of frictional losses. And yes theres more to it than that, i just put the weight differeces up there because 14 grams is quite a bit of a difference for rings.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wht97ws6ta
Yea i know.... Perhaps you missed the part where i said i was going to pull the 2 sets to see what the differences are in drag. Which will give an indication of frictional losses. And yes theres more to it than that, i just put the weight differeces up there because 14 grams is quite a bit of a difference for rings.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to mess with you. You are actually someone that seems to be looking for some HP in rings.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
They don't seem to understand that. Ring package, cylinder wall finish, and ring groove dimensions and finish. As much power there as any intake manifold. We found almost another twenty last winter just in honing.
I'm with you on that. I have parts spread out everywhere right now. I can't wait foe the season to start. Top Stock here I come!

Btw, Bobby & Jeff have a friend of mine's LT1 stocker at their shop right now. Red F body from Texas. Belongs to a nice young man.
Guaranteed to go fast!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

So if I get some Mahle Powerpak pistons...should I use the rings they supply, or do y'all recommend some others? Like I said, I am not very educated in this area, just trying to gather the parts I need.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
So if I get some Mahle Powerpak pistons...should I use the rings they supply, or do y'all recommend some others? Like I said, I am not very educated in this area, just trying to gather the parts I need.
Again, why not let your builder pick them for you?

FWIW, I used Total Seal on my build.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

I was just going for recommendations, I am working with Corey at Clayton Racing right now
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I wasn't trying to mess with you. You are actually someone that seems to be looking for some HP in rings.
Yea rings is another one of those dark corners that very few ever shines any light in. Its all about the whole combination. Like it was said above just cyl wall finish plays a role in HP. Lots of small things get over looked when engineering a winning combination. Im looking for HP and fuel effienciency in every corner i can find it. Thats why i decided to give these SRP pistons a whirl.

Quick Reply: 5.7" or 6" rods??