LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my Opti got wet...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my Opti got wet...

So I took my car to the carwash tonight to wash the grime off of it. I washed it with the sprayer as usual. I never wash anything under the hood or under the car. As soon as I get done I start the car and the SES light blinks about 6 or 7 times and I can feel the car missing. Then the light just stays on solid and it idles fine. I've driven it about 10 miles since and it seems just fine except for the SES just stays lit. The code is a random multiple misfire code.

Its strange because I've never had it do this before despite me washing the car tons of times. All I can think of is some of the spray went behind the headlights and got it wet. The opti/wires/plugs are about a year old with 11k miles on them. Will it most likely cause me more problems?

97 Z28 A4 96k miles
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Launching!

let it dry out and you should be fine. it happens to me when it rains pretty bad. moisture gets in, i think the cap wasn't seated completely.

if your opti was put on and sealed correctly then it shouldn't do it.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Key words "Car wash"...stay clear of them
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Car washes are evil
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

why should he stay away from car washes? Being that he said he used the sprayer im assuming he went to the self serve one. What the difference if he were to use his hose at his house? Do car washes have anti f-body agents in the water? Im just curious cause i go to car washes all the time
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twokss
why should he stay away from car washes? Being that he said he used the sprayer im assuming he went to the self serve one. What the difference if he were to use his hose at his house? Do car washes have anti f-body agents in the water? Im just curious cause i go to car washes all the time
Because car washes add extra dents/scratches which is a quick way to have your car looking like complete crap. Plus they are for lazy people. In some cases I can understand if one has no access to a hose and mop bucket then they have no choice. But the majority of people would rather spend the money and have it cleaned poorly by a drive up crap wash.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Lol I agree, who would want to run any of their vehicles through a car wash?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Guys I always use a self serve sprayer car wash. I use a wash mit and gold class wash to get the grime off. I know the drive through washes are bad news especially the ones with an under body sprayer. I know guys that have went through those and had their optis soaked.

Quick Reply: I think my Opti got wet...