LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Summer mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
tell us a little about yur car...miles/tranny/ect.

Start by fixing any existing problems/opti/plugs and wires/fuel pump/ect.

My favorite parts for a stock car would include:

TIRES! TIRES! TIRES!-get some Nitto 555R or M/T ET Street Drag radials
GMMG chambered catback
Long tube Hooker, Jet Hot, or Pacesetter Headers
Off road Y pipe/cutout (ORY)
Lingenfelter Cold Air intake
PCMforless mail order tune
1.6 Roller Rockers
BMR/UMI point subframe connectors
and I'd ditch the EGR/AIR system (state laws/enforcement pending)

Honestly, that'd all be over $2000 probably but it'd be a very good start.
List looks good except for pcmforless tune, stay away from them. Definately go with umi subframe connectors, they rock.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
List looks good except for pcmforless tune, stay away from them. Definately go with umi subframe connectors, they rock.
I've heard a ton of good stuff about PCMforless. A few negative things once in a while, but like 99% positive.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, you wanna start with exhaust.

So I would recommend something like a set of coated pacesetter headers, the painted ones are cheaper but wont hold up very well.

2 off road y pipe, you can get this with the headers. It deletes the catalytic converter.

3 do a nice catback exhaust. Borla, Hooker, and gmmg are some of my favorites for sound. There are lots of options out there though, start searching for video sound clips to see what you like best. The Hooker sounds great and is one of the least expensive to boot.

Alternative to 3 is to fabricate or have a set of true duas built. You would ditch the y pipe and go to an x pipe an dump the mufflers before the rear axle is the easiest, or run it out the back but that takes a lot more work.

4 get a good cold air intake if your car isn't ram air, if it is you're good to go.

5 get new 02 sensors.

6 get yourself at least a mail order tune through www.madtuner.com or the like. Or better yet is a dyno tune.

7 enjoy your car for a while. Continue doing research and learn about modding your car and then decide what the next step is for you. A wet nitrous kit is what I would recommend, after the bolt ons. www.nitrousoutlet.com LT1 specific hard line plate kit is the ****.

Any more questions just ask or you're welcome to pm me. Good luck have fun and be safe. At 16 I would have died in a powerful car lol.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
Actually the list also needs to incluqe VALVESPRINGS if he's going to be told to do 1. 6r oller rockers...

That and I like the Spohn stuff better than umi but he can decide on that.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Words of wisdom... Enjoy your life as a teenager! Start out with bolt-ons.. Don't work 24/7 and enjoy life while you can. I can almost guarantee your car with full bolt-on's will still be impressive to the average high schooler with a 4 banger Eclipse, Grand Prix, Cobalt LS, Honda Civic, Neon, Tiburon, etc. etc.

I can't exactly hate on your original lt4 hot cam suggestion. I had a friend run 12.2 in the 1/4 with a BUDGET rebuilt 355, untouched heads, lt4 hot cam, full bolt ons, FLT lvl 4, Vig3600, 3.73's, DR's.. Pretty damn impressive and not the usual results generally

As Grebrob stated, start out with some coated pacesetter longtubes and ORY to delete your cats (PM me if you want a link to a seller that I think has the lowest price for a combo), CAI, Hooker catback (cheap and sounds loud.. what us "kids" like), 3.73 gears, 3600 stall converter (I love my Yank and Vig is awesome too) (Gas mileage concerns is for pussies)

Maybe also consider NGK TR-55 plugs, MSD wires, maybe a Mezeire (sp?) electric water pump, some suspension mods: CE rear drag shocks, umi/bmr/spohn subframe connectors, lower control arm's with relocation brackets, tunnel brace mounted torque arm for LT header setups, blah blah blah...

Also maybe some Nitto 555r Drag Radials for the street driving and more traction

All modifications will help you get to where you are looking at.. Going faster.. At the end of the day, thats what we all were in pursuit of when our cars were stock.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

here is my best advice. when i became an automotive technician shortly after highschool. however long it took to get my ase's i wanted. i thought i knew alot about cars. well i was wrong. i worked with another tech that was very good and had been doing it all his life. the first thing he told me is forget everything you thought you knew which is the best advice i ever got.. basically what im try to say is to be a leader you must first follow and learn from everyone else. do alot of reading and dont be affraid to tear into that car thats the only way you learn.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ripfirebird94
The car is a 94 firebird formula, 125k miles, automatic tranny with "Transmission Perform" button (which is rediculously nice).

I have a cold air intake, i don't know the brand it came with the car. As far as stalls go, how hard is it to put one in and what is a good brand? I don't wanna DESTROY fuel economy, but I'm not a tree hugger. I'm only 16 so, gas money is my only money lol. But this summer I'll get to work a lot and I'll have around 3 grand. I don't wanna put a **** load in the car. .
16 !!! Im going to send this to your mother LOl J/K but with 2 grand i would also start with some bolt on's. Dont rush it and do what you can when you can
Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Launching!

I really like the sound of Borla, but hooker cat back sounds pretty mean with the aerochamber muffler. Does the cat-back system come with a muffler or no? http://www.andysautosport.com/pontia...k00232973.html good price?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Launching!

lol and i know it comes with a muffler, but is it like a cheep one compared to the aero chamber?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

get it dyno tuned, thats what i plan to do to mine that way you can squeeze out every last hp. port your intake & 58mm TB, gasket match all your ports, and roller rockers just to name a few
Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

also... since your trying to do this on a budget, CRAIGSLIST, EBAY,SWAP MEETS, and the classifieds sections on this and other forums will be your best friend, i have got so many awesome deals on pretty much everything ive bought for my lt1, its so much more fun to take the time tracking down the pats and knowing u saved alot of $ compared to dropping an assload of money just because its new, new parts are way overpriced these days

Quick Reply: Summer mods?