LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So i Finally bought an 8.8!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah... Nearly forgot. Im going to be fabricating axle tube connectors to slip on the inside. I was going to slip the 10-bolt tubes into the 8.8 tubes. But i feel there is just abit to much movement between the too. That could possibly cause the welds to crack, causing catastrophic failure. Ill be making up the sleeves to go in around 3" on both tubes having a near press fit on the ID to keep it straight and true.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make a couple extra's while you're at it... of everything

Can't wait to see the end result
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Just like the rep at Moser said. "youll see them by friday." That was exactly 1 week prior to me receiving my custom axles.

Spec's
-Stock Length (32")
-31 Spline
-Stock bolt pattern with stock lugs & 1/2" Screw in 3" studs

The total was around $450. That included, The Axles, Both bolt patterns with studs, and a stud kit for my 8.8 pumpkin.

I am impressed with the speed that i received them, aswell as the quality. There are afew small burrs on the axle flange where they threaded it for the 1/2" studs. But other then that there really nice. for the record aswell, there customer service was Very helpful and nice. Ive heard horror stories about people ordering things from moser. I didnt have any of that.

Here are afew pictures of how they look. Ive also talked to my boss about what i was planning on doing with my axle tubes. Ill explain that more when i do it :p

pics:

The excitement is coming to a head!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

any updates?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I already have most of the parts that i need for my build up but i going to use a ford explorer yolk, any of you guys what part number of ujoin i need in this case?
thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastsspr
I already have most of the parts that i need for my build up but i going to use a ford explorer yolk, any of you guys what part number of ujoin i need in this case?
thanks
I believe its 355. But i could be mistaken. Im going with a strange 1350 yoke. Should handle some pretty serious power
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed..
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Very nice project; just read through the whole thread. The end result looks like it will be nice !!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would a ranger 8.8 with 28 spline work also ? As in will our axle tubes be able to be pressed in ? or do they have to have sleeves like the explorer rear end?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Just like the rep at Moser said. "youll see them by friday." That was exactly 1 week prior to me receiving my custom axles.

Spec's
-Stock Length (32")
-31 Spline
-Stock bolt pattern with stock lugs & 1/2" Screw in 3" studs

The total was around $450. That included, The Axles, Both bolt patterns with studs, and a stud kit for my 8.8 pumpkin.

I am impressed with the speed that i received them, aswell as the quality. There are afew small burrs on the axle flange where they threaded it for the 1/2" studs. But other then that there really nice. for the record aswell, there customer service was Very helpful and nice. Ive heard horror stories about people ordering things from moser. I didnt have any of that.

Here are afew pictures of how they look. Ive also talked to my boss about what i was planning on doing with my axle tubes. Ill explain that more when i do it :p

pics:

The excitement is coming to a head!
I have the exact same box of axles sitting in the garage. I just need to pull the 8.8 to have the new 31 spline posi and axles put in.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Dum Dum Dummm

OMG progress! I got sick and tired of not having time. So i canceled plans with my girl to work on the rear Not awhole lot. But its the little tedious **** that really bothers me.

I bought some threaded rod to finish the mock up before i weld everything together. Ill get grade 8 bolts when im ready for final build.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Got some welding done today. Just some finishing touches before i weld on the final support for the torque arm... Once thats done, the pumpkin gets acid bathed. Afterrr that the tubes get welded in, and gears get setup >

Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont ever see that breaking. Looks a bit over kill but *** it....you wont regret it and im sure it wont ever break. Thats what matters
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
I dont ever see that breaking. Looks a bit over kill but *** it....you wont regret it and im sure it wont ever break. Thats what matters
A of right now the only thing holding the TA mount to the pumpkin, is a 1/2" thick piece thats cast into the pumpkin. Im going to put a tube on the side of the TA mount to the axles tube. after that ill be comfortable putting it on my car lol. Ill be happy not having to weld onto the cast
Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'm curious to see how you TA bracket comes out. Right now I don't see it lasting long. Not saying you did a bad job, but you could break that cast part of the housing off with a small hammer and a good whack.

I'm setting mine up with a 4 link and getting rid of the TA, but keeping my UMI arm around incase I ever change my mind.

The build is looking good though man, I wish I had all the parts you do, but I keep spending my money on other things my car needs
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I'm curious to see how you TA bracket comes out. Right now I don't see it lasting long. Not saying you did a bad job, but you could break that cast part of the housing off with a small hammer and a good whack.

I'm setting mine up with a 4 link and getting rid of the TA, but keeping my UMI arm around incase I ever change my mind.

The build is looking good though man, I wish I had all the parts you do, but I keep spending my money on other things my car needs
Thanks, once im 100$ done with the TA mount youll understand that itll be strong enough. Way stronger then welding to the housing. Even if you do everything required to weld mild steel to cast. It will never be as strong as mild steel to mild steel. Ive been on vacation since last week, and i had Zero time the past 2 weeks.

My new year resolution is to finish the rear by early spring
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Thanks, once im 100$ done with the TA mount youll understand that itll be strong enough. Way stronger then welding to the housing. Even if you do everything required to weld mild steel to cast. It will never be as strong as mild steel to mild steel. Ive been on vacation since last week, and i had Zero time the past 2 weeks.

My new year resolution is to finish the rear by early spring
I kind of have an idea of where your headed with the braces and I knew that you weren't finished. I think if I ever go back to a TA setup I'll use one for a mustang like the maximum motorsports setup, or something similar.

I have 90% of my suspension parts then I'm going to build the rear axle. Still have to get gears, axles, trac lok rebuild kit, bearings and seals, and brakes.

I'm curious to see how the car feels with a 4 link, hopefully I'll like it LOL

Keep up the good work man
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Update

Small progress yet again

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm.. i like the approach you are taking. How did you find the exact angle to place the TA mount? Like what method did you use to measure?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
hmmm.. i like the approach you are taking. How did you find the exact angle to place the TA mount? Like what method did you use to measure?
The angle wasnt 100% important, due to the little bit of wiggle room my torque arm holes give me. What i did was i took the 10 bolt pumpkin and measured using and angle finder, off the front face and lined up the tool with the holes. i believe it was 12* or somewhere around that. I then marked the angle on the 2 plates and cut it on a horizontal band saw. bolted everything together and tacked it all in place. The tube is just tacked there temporarily. Tomorrow, friday i will be adding gussets to both the inner 'box' of the TA mount, and to the tube i added today. once thats all welded in, the pumpkin gets acid tanked and cleaned. THEN after that the tubes get welded in place and the gears get setup

Quick Reply: So i Finally bought an 8.8!