LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DMH Cutout --- dont work??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default DMH Cutout --- dont work??

Just bought a brand new DMH electric cutout for my borla exhuast. Went to hook the two wires up to a battery --- did not work -- then tried hooking it up to my battery in my truck while running -- motor still did not work. Does anyone know what the problem is???? or had this problem? I dont even hear the motor attemping to even turn on. I hook the red wire to the + and the black to - and still nothing. All the connections I made sure were good. Could there be a chance I got a bad/defective cutout? - I talked to the guy before I ordered the part and he told me every single one is tested by him - so I dont know what the deal is
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just call DMH and let them know. They are very good about standing behind their product.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Just call them and they will send u a new one.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

they test everyone before they put it out. Did you already mount it up or are you just testing it before you mount it?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Just call them and they will send u a new one.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

After I installed mine I tried it 3 times and it worked fiine ,then quit, I called and he said send it back when I could. He sent a replacement out the day I talked to him. Working fine for 2 years now.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a funky one the first time around, the one I have now is great. No problems in almost 2 years...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pair of QTP ecutouts. One went bad right away due to damage in the gearbox.
They replaced it free of charge. Then they were sticking open or closed. Turned out to be a cold solder joint on the switch. Fixed that and they work perfectly now.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

he told me most of the time they dont work is improper installation. The bolts are too tight. That was the problem i had. They wouldnt open or close. You could hear the motor trying to open, but the bolts were just too tight.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by momartin22
he told me most of the time they dont work is improper installation. The bolts are too tight. That was the problem i had. They wouldnt open or close. You could hear the motor trying to open, but the bolts were just too tight.
I am calling BS on this. The aluminum flanges that they are built from are at the least, 1/2" thick. It would take some big *** torque to bend them and cause the motor or gears to not work correctly assuming they correct gaskets are being used. Anyone who tightens the flange so tight that they might bend it has questionable mechanical skills and should just step away from the tools now.

If the motor is turning but the butterfly is not moving , the most likely reason is the steel coupler between the output shaft and the butterfly. Sounds like one of the two set screws are loose and its just spinning.

Best thing to do is torque them to about 20-25# and use a locking bolt of some kind.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I am calling BS on this. The aluminum flanges that they are built from are at the least, 1/2" thick. It would take some big *** torque to bend them and cause the motor or gears to not work correctly assuming they correct gaskets are being used. Anyone who tightens the flange so tight that they might bend it has questionable mechanical skills and should just step away from the tools now.

If the motor is turning but the butterfly is not moving , the most likely reason is the steel coupler between the output shaft and the butterfly. Sounds like one of the two set screws are loose and its just spinning.

Best thing to do is torque them to about 20-25# and use a locking bolt of some kind.
WRONG! If its barely too tight just turning it too tight with a socket puts too much pressure on it and it just wont open. Thats what the problem with mine was. I called thinking it was the motor, he said that he would replace it if that wasnt the problem. Turns out that was the problem and he said everyone does this.
I loosened it up just a little bit and its fine. And he makes his own bolts to attach it to the cutout and you cant really use any other bolt.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

He makes his own bolts? I dont understand?
Which bolts are you referring to?
I was commenting on the bolts used to attach the three bolt flange portion of the the E-cutout to the cutout pipe. Same bolts commonly used in any three bolt flange.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

You might want to adjust the cutout in the exhaust first. Sometime if you just bolt them up the blade get caught. I got one, so I know. Try loosing it up and shifting it alittle.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

yes those three bolts, he machines himself. Not sure why but i lost one and went around looking for one and couldnt find one. I called him asking where he gets them, and he said he machines them himself?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

get some race ready performance cutouts and be done with it! lifetime warranty is the way to go!

Quick Reply: DMH Cutout --- dont work??