LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want kooks quality, but don't want to spend the 1100, buy used. they don't rust, so theres really nothing to worry about, besides damage/scrapes. just my .02
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy LPP, I got my LPP stainless longtubes and STAINLESS Y for 550 shipped to the door. pace uses steel y and most shops are going to use steel on the kooks unless you ask for stainless. not to mention the LPP's are pollished. everytime my car goes up on a lift at tire shop the gaukers come a runnin because all you see shine and coolr after thier run for a while. Wipe them down with some cleaner and they shine on.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My Kooks came with a y-pipe.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Buy LPP, I got my LPP stainless longtubes and STAINLESS Y for 550 shipped to the door. pace uses steel y and most shops are going to use steel on the kooks unless you ask for stainless. not to mention the LPP's are pollished. everytime my car goes up on a lift at tire shop the gaukers come a runnin because all you see shine and coolr after thier run for a while. Wipe them down with some cleaner and they shine on.
when did you buy them for that because I thought they are 650 shipped now?? Either way still a great buy...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LPPs are currently $600 shipped right now.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hooker

It all comes down to money, how much can you afford. I like to buy American but the foreign companies are taking over. I'm sure every product will have a flaw be it made in the USA or other. I had the Hooker competition long tubes on my 95Z, no fitment issues, no leaks, heck I even ran over a floor jack at the LS1 Tech shootout and it just got dented. I am going turbo so I sold them to a member so they still live on....
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
Thanks so much for the heads up. Just to have an idea I got two questions for you :
1- When did you buy your pacesetter?
2- How long after you installed them you had the first issue.

Maaan what a horrible experience, what makes it ten times worse is being a daily driver car. Awefull customer service. Very good to know.
i bought and installed my pacesetters in november of 2008 and by march/april time frame my first fitting blew off them. then about 3 months later the other one blew off. plus their Y pipe fit like **** from day one, and i had to heat it up and beat the hell out of it to keep it from hammering all over the floor of my car. now i have Kooks, with a mufflex Y and catback, so ill never need any upgrading to my exhaust again. and the 4" mufflex with magnaflow race muffler vs. true duals i maybe lose 5-10hp at most over true duals, but share none of the ground clearance issues that true duals have. and also for those who might be interested, kooks is currently working on a tight tucking true dual system that works with their headers and will eliminate ground clearance ussues. just FYI.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
LOL I just saw this on the Kooks web-page:

Because of the 3 1/2" collector, none of Kooks Y-pipes work with this header. This means that you will have to get a custom exhaust fabbed up after the headers.

They charge you $1100 for headers and you can't even bolt on a y-pipe?! ROFL.
there are a couple things to keep in mind here.... 1) majority of their Fbody headers have a 3" collector that will fit their Y pipe. 2) someone needing something as radical as a 3.5" collector is most likely going to run a true dual setup with very short pipes and turn downs not far down the floor pans. that having been said, you cant hold it againts them for not going through the time consuming process and the money it takes for R&D to fab up a Y pipe that they may or may not sell enough of to cover the cost of research on. besides, youd have to be running over 450+ cubes to even come close to needing such a collector let alone a Y pipe that big. most people's LSx builds dont even need something that big. and the ones that do, id be willing to bet DO NOT use a Y pipe in their exhaust system. just my $.02
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey:

I've owned Pacesetters, Kooks, and LPPs in that order. The emission friendly Pacesetters rusted even though they were coated in a few years, but were an easy install, and mated well to my GMPP/SLP 304 SS TOTL F1 catback.
The 304 SS, race type, stepped catted Kooks tucked up great and were very expensive but when I purchased them were the cheapest stainless option and the best header clearance wise for any price. They were a pain to install and I had to mod the steering rack linkage, slot/move the steering wheel column over, oil cooler was deleted, low oil sensor was deleted, and took awhile to get in even though this was mentioned in the install sheet that came with them that some or all of the mods may be needed. I also had to put in new poly motor mounts to get things to line up as the fit was that tight, but they tucked up very well and gave much needed clearance on a lowered car. They also matched well with the stainless GMMG catback. I sold this complete combo as I could get most of my money back and was thinking of going with a LSx engine true duals combo. I then waited for the 1st batch of LPPs as I decided to stay with my LT4. I got the 321 SS, Race type, LPPs and the installed was easy due to the fact that I had already had the Kooks previously in my car. They were nicely polished 321 SS, so I had my old GMPP/SLP 304 SS TOTL F1 catback polished as well the two look awesome together but added a polished alloy SLP CME to it to complete the look I was after.
So to make a long story short what do the Kooks give for the price over the Pacesetters? A longer lasting, better quality, better looking, tucked up header. That takes a lot more prep to install if your doing the stepped Kooks. But the Kooks compared to the LPPs only less money in your wallet. The new race LPPs with true duals have got to be the best bang for your LTx header money going. A whole 321 SS race system from end to end for less than just the headers from Kooks, with simular install prep.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

I got my PS for $375 lol, couple years ago, granted they are rusted now but they still work.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
when did you buy them for that because I thought they are 650 shipped now?? Either way still a great buy...
I found that he puts them on Ebay from time to time and when I found mine there was no reserve on them and he listed them for 500 + 50 for shipping. I bid the min amount and I won them so for me 550 to the door & this was over a year ago so idk if he still does that or not.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Here is the current ebay ad, and this is for the new style headers only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-C...Q5fAccessories

Great for duals. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LPP-L...item3caab004bd

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I have ran both Pacesetters and Jet-Hot's on my WS6 and Kooks on the GTO. I assure you the Pacesetters are a piece of **** in every aspect compared to the Kooks. With a better designed header there is a few extra ponies to be had. I saw a test done on LS2GTO.com where a set of Kooks made another 5-6rwhp/tq IIRC over the same diameter Pacesetters. Also, I will never again buy a set of headers that is not stainless. Kooks are expensive but you get what you pay for, nowadays I don't like to cheap out on things so I like to pay for the best.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kooks are expensive but you get what you pay for,
x2!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

kooks are expensive but you get what you pay for,
^^^^^ True,

But LPPs are a thick, well engineered, USA made, stainless, $$ deal. They use a Better grade 321 Stainless steel, A polished finish, are stepped, merged velocity coned, and make good power to boot, with similar install prep to Kooks.

So what does this make them?

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my brand new coated Pacesetter LTs and got the Ebay stainless steel Pacesetter knock offs for $450 with the Y-pipe and an aluminum battery box.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

So far, things seems to be pulling me towards the LPPs, as well as other guys here, sounds to be a good choice to go with no matter which way we think about it. Keep comments coming guys.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would strongly recommend sticking to your budget. Save money for other area's which will help your gains. If your budget allows for a nicer set then go for it.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

PS..... I paid 450 for my Lpps and ORY but that was the first batch.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Im going to be ordering some LPPs here in a couple of days. Have any of you heard that you need to get them thermo coated? A guy at a local shop told me he's heard of the headers melting the a/c box and stuff.

Quick Reply: What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!