LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!

Trying to get facts from you guys, and the experienced with either exhaust.

In most of the builds I see everywhere, I see LT Pacesetters, rarely kooks, on youtube or almost everywhere else. Do people use them because of the fairly priced LTs or because it's JUST as good as other LTs?

As far as Kooks, they cost around $600 extra over Pacesetters, what kooks give you that pacesetters don't for that much? Is it just the stainless steel option !

Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited by powerhousecamaro; 03-03-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought coated Pacesetter because it was cheap, and they flow good enough for my stock internal Z. I don't have fitment issue, but ive read people say Pacesetter doesn't fit on there fbody with out running into problems.

My guess Kooks probly has better fitment than pacesetter and they are stainless steel (custom long tubes) that's why there priced high.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because stainless doesn't rust.. they'll last forever... Pacesetters rust out eventually..
Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i bought mine they were only 650 but the main benefit was fitment. i was reading about too many issues with other headers having to be dented to clear, flanges warped, etc. not sure how the market has come along but ive had my kooks for about 6 yrs now.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i currently have a set of the pacesetters on my car. have not been happy with them what so ever!!! they flow decent, but the Y pipe had some major fitment issues, and once i got all that ironed out, the emissions ports started blowing off. first the AIR tube on the drivers side #1 cylinder blew off while just driving in traffic. sounded so horrific i thought i had blown a spark plug out of the cylinder head! used a monster can and two heater hose clamps to patch it up till i got to an exhaust shop. the hole was the size of a quarter, so we ended up welding in an O2 bung and plugged it. then a month or so later the EGR port on the back of the passenger header blew off. ended up having to remove the header and take it in to get it welded up. what a pain in the ***! and this car is my daily driver mind you. so i call up pacesetter and tell them what horrible luck ive had with their product, and their answer was for me to BUY another set of their garbage headers, then at my own expense mail them my two busted pieces of crap, and then they would look at them and decide if they would refund me for them or not. keep in mind this car is my DD and i have no back up to get to work. even after explaining this to them, their answer remained the same. so i promised them that i would never again upon pain of death use their product and id be certan to let everyone i came in contact with know about my dealings with their product and company. that being said, my Kooks headers should be shipped from Kooks any day now. i ordered mine with the stepped option and 3" ball/socket flanges on the collectors. once i get them installed and my new mufflex Y and 4" catback ill let you all know how the fitment is. sadly i wont be installing these until OCT time frame as i am currently deployed. hope this tid bit of info can help you decide against using pacesetter. OH, and also Kooks thus far has had excellent customer service and has been extremely friendly and helpful with any and all questions ive had. Tony is who i dealt with there, and he has been on point with everything so far.

karl
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firehawk238
i currently have a set of the pacesetters on my car. have not been happy with them what so ever!!! they flow decent, but the Y pipe had some major fitment issues, and once i got all that ironed out, the emissions ports started blowing off. first the AIR tube on the drivers side #1 cylinder blew off while just driving in traffic. sounded so horrific i thought i had blown a spark plug out of the cylinder head! used a monster can and two heater hose clamps to patch it up till i got to an exhaust shop. the hole was the size of a quarter, so we ended up welding in an O2 bung and plugged it. then a month or so later the EGR port on the back of the passenger header blew off. ended up having to remove the header and take it in to get it welded up. what a pain in the ***! and this car is my daily driver mind you. so i call up pacesetter and tell them what horrible luck ive had with their product, and their answer was for me to BUY another set of their garbage headers, then at my own expense mail them my two busted pieces of crap, and then they would look at them and decide if they would refund me for them or not. keep in mind this car is my DD and i have no back up to get to work. even after explaining this to them, their answer remained the same. so i promised them that i would never again upon pain of death use their product and id be certan to let everyone i came in contact with know about my dealings with their product and company. that being said, my Kooks headers should be shipped from Kooks any day now. i ordered mine with the stepped option and 3" ball/socket flanges on the collectors. once i get them installed and my new mufflex Y and 4" catback ill let you all know how the fitment is. sadly i wont be installing these until OCT time frame as i am currently deployed. hope this tid bit of info can help you decide against using pacesetter. OH, and also Kooks thus far has had excellent customer service and has been extremely friendly and helpful with any and all questions ive had. Tony is who i dealt with there, and he has been on point with everything so far.

karl
Thanks so much for the heads up. Just to have an idea I got two questions for you :
1- When did you buy your pacesetter?
2- How long after you installed them you had the first issue.

Maaan what a horrible experience, what makes it ten times worse is being a daily driver car. Awefull customer service. Very good to know.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any stainless headers will be hella expensive...but the look the best and they'll never rust like mentioned above.

uncoated < painted
painted < ceramic coated
ceramic coated < stainless
Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

**** Kooks too, get some stepped LPPs, almost identical to kooks for half the price. From everything Ive read both kooks stepped headers and LPPs have about the same fitment issues. Im more than happy with my LPPs and so is everyone else that has them!
With that said the Kooks non stepped headers are supossed to fit really good.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

After I got tired of changing collector gaskets on my Hookers I bought the Pacesetters non-emmissions along with the y-pipe to go with them, fit nicely and never have had a leak. I had my hookers before these , they were coated and had mild rust along the bottom from where rocks etc on the road had hit them, but they are still going on a friends car. I bought them in 1998.
Stainless is nice, but unless you are going to keep the thing forever why bother? Also stainless doesnt rust the same way mild steel does, but because it is harder with alot of heat cycles if it is in any kind of bind it will crack !!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mild steel < ceramic coated mild steel < stainless steel < ceramic coated stainless steel. End of story.

Stainless won't rust, but it does turn a bunch of fun colors like yellow and purple.

If you live in a maritime climate, I'd look at the LPPs or stainless eBay knock-offs. Mild steel will rust, ceramic coated or not.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AChotrod
**** Kooks too, get some stepped LPPs, almost identical to kooks for half the price. From everything Ive read both kooks stepped headers and LPPs have about the same fitment issues. Im more than happy with my LPPs and so is everyone else that has them!
With that said the Kooks non stepped headers are supossed to fit really good.
+1 for LPP Kooks are great quality headers but they bend you over w/o spit then hit you with the dollar amount.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL I just saw this on the Kooks web-page:

Because of the 3 1/2" collector, none of Kooks Y-pipes work with this header. This means that you will have to get a custom exhaust fabbed up after the headers.

They charge you $1100 for headers and you can't even bolt on a y-pipe?! ROFL.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
LOL I just saw this on the Kooks web-page:

Because of the 3 1/2" collector, none of Kooks Y-pipes work with this header. This means that you will have to get a custom exhaust fabbed up after the headers.

They charge you $1100 for headers and you can't even bolt on a y-pipe?! ROFL.

Man talk about a slap in the face. That would really suck!!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I LOVE MY LPP's!!! Kooks is a RIP and Pacesetter are CHEAP.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

$600 price difference? $1100 kooks? did they raise the price or are you guys just shopping in all the wrong places? i got mine for $912 shipped to my door. thats neither $600 more than the paceshitters or $1100.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
$600 price difference? $1100 kooks? did they raise the price or are you guys just shopping in all the wrong places? i got mine for $912 shipped to my door. thats neither $600 more than the paceshitters or $1100.
Still a good price difference 420$ -912$ what did you do about the 3 1/2 custom back?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure what I paid for my coated Kooks, but it was around a grand, maybe a bit less actually. They aren't stepped, went in without issue, and seem to fit like a glove.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Still a good price difference 420$ -912$ what did you do about the 3 1/2 custom back?
Unless something has changed, not all Kooks headers have a 3 1/2" collector. The collectors on my 1 3/4" headers are 3". Maybe their 1 7/8" headers only come with a 3 1/2" collector. It seems like they would, or should, offer a Y-Pipe that fits.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTC
Unless something has changed, not all Kooks headers have a 3 1/2" collector. The collectors on my 1 3/4" headers are 3". Maybe their 1 7/8" headers only come with a 3 1/2" collector. It seems like they would, or should, offer a Y-Pipe that fits.
That would make sense.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for the stainless headers.
Buy your last headers, first. IOW, they last forever.

I am very happy with my LPP headers. The new batch does not have the fitment problems that the first batch had according to folks here on the board. Kooks are great headers but not worth the money when so many cheaper alternatives are available. Even if the alternatives require some tweaking to get the fit right.

Quick Reply: What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!