LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ideal exhaust setup for my 398LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010 | 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Hook the merge to your Y pipe. You can get pipe and turndowns cheap at the local 18 wheeler dealer.

I got all my stuff from these guys.

www.fulllineexhaust.com

I can uncap my car at the track and it runs the same as capped up. I have a full 4 inch Mufflex with a Maganflow muffler under the rear. But I am thinking of doing what I told you to do.
If you do, David, let me know about that Mufflex. Id be interested in it. I've been thinkin' of ditching my catback as well. I wonder if I'd be able to move it or not...
Old 03-10-2010 | 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firehawk238
gonna have to ask you to explain this to me as well. if you take 2.5 x 3.14 (PI) you get 7.85 sq inches. you multiply that by 2, and you get 15.7" squared. now if you take 5" and mulitply that by 3.14, you get 15.7" sq. so how does two 2.5" pipes not equal the same flow volume as one 5"?
Well, in my defense, I posted from my phone, while I was on the ******* at work. I had a long drawn out thought, but didn't have the time to type it all out.

But now, just because you used incorrect math, I'll set that straight. The formula for finding the area of a circle is 3.14 x R².

So you take 3.14 x 1.25² = 4.91 Then multiply that by 2 You get 9.81

Then you take 3.14 x 2.5² = 19.65

So there you have it, simple math to show that dual 2.5" does not equal 5"
Old 03-11-2010 | 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
Well, in my defense, I posted from my phone, while I was on the ******* at work. I had a long drawn out thought, but didn't have the time to type it all out.

But now, just because you used incorrect math, I'll set that straight. The formula for finding the area of a circle is 3.14 x R².

Hope everything came out OK!

Well, OK, i see your math and can see that two 2.5" pipes don't equal 5" of flow. It still baffles me how dual 2.5" is said to not be as good as a single 3", but the chart above helps me see where i need to be.
Old 03-11-2010 | 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^kinda makes me feel stupid. oh well, im a soldier not a math teacher. well alan looks like mufflex 4" for you!
Old 03-11-2010 | 08:19 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Has it even been shown that a 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" header actually outperforms a straight 1 3/4" header? I researched the heck out of it before I bought anything, and everything I found, which wasn't a lot, said it made no difference, or could actually hurt performance.
Old 03-11-2010 | 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

^^^kinda makes me feel stupid. oh well, im a soldier not a math teacher. well alan looks like mufflex 4" for you!
all i know is I'm impressed that he got the "2" square in little elevated print!

and to you Firehawk238:
Old 03-11-2010 | 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTC
Has it even been shown that a 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" header actually outperforms a straight 1 3/4" header? I researched the heck out of it before I bought anything, and everything I found, which wasn't a lot, said it made no difference, or could actually hurt performance.
good question, which is why I'm concentrating on the exhaust system before moving up in header, as they'll both have a 3" collector anyway so that won't impede on my design. I went 1 7/8 on the CTS-V anticipating forced induction...so I know I lost some grunt for now on the stock cube LS6.

Dang...want the duals and selfishly want the ground pounding affect...but don't want every cop on my tail and my kids deafened in the back seat. The only time we ride is w/ windows down and warm weather, so...
Old 03-11-2010 | 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Something to keep in mind is that with duals, you have twice the length of pipe, twice the amount of bends, twice the amount of mufflers, and so on. Usually the biggest issue with a single exhaust is the merge pipe. My pacesetter y-pipe has turned brown at the merge from the exhaust being turbulent and creating excessive heat.

Don't feel stupid over the math, its just stuff I've retained from highschool geometry.
Old 03-11-2010 | 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

There are other factors working on pipe size vs flow. Most times a single pipe performs as good or better than the formula's above for duals. As the exhaust flows there is drag on the inside of the pipe, the more pipes the more drag. Flow has a boundary layer of air that drags the sides of the pipe and then the air is lubricated or slides on this boundary layer.
Old 03-11-2010 | 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

well alan, dont worry, the mufflex will still you give you a ground pounding effect, while not being quite so miserable inside the car. dont get me wrong, cant exactly carry on a conversation in my buddies IROC, but even my TOTL makes that difficult. besides, im a single man and would much rather listen to my car rumble than female complaining about the drama she has cause for herself. just my $.02
Old 03-11-2010 | 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Something to keep in mind is that with duals, you have twice the length of pipe, twice the amount of bends, twice the amount of mufflers, and so on. Usually the biggest issue with a single exhaust is the merge pipe. My pacesetter y-pipe has turned brown at the merge from the exhaust being turbulent and creating excessive heat.

Don't feel stupid over the math, its just stuff I've retained from highschool geometry.
which is twice the weight...
Old 03-11-2010 | 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

not to get all up in your build alan, but what headers are you currently running?
Old 03-11-2010 | 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

not to get all up in your build alan, but what headers are you currently running?
I pulled the Lingenfelter mid lengths for a set of coated Pacesetter 1 3/4 LTs i had in the garage. Made 20ish more rwhp and rwtq, so I was happy.

don't worry about it, i wouldn't have posted if I didn't want the feedback and advise!

And just to update, once i get the motor mounts settled in the V, i'll be moving back to focus on the bird. I've got a new starter, tubular k-member and a-arms, and opti to go in the car. So i'll be tearing some stuff apart which is why i was thinking exhaust anyway.
Old 03-11-2010 | 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

the only reason i asked is that the Mufflex Y pipes are deisgned to mate up to the hooker long tubes. according to the guys at mufflex the pacesetters come out in pretty much the same location, the only thing youd probably have ot do is have the exhaust shop weld on a set of 3 bolt flanges on the bottom, or you could modify the Y for slip fit. i like the bolted flangesbbetter myself. ill probably have to modify that Y pipe alot for my kooks though. they have an angled kick out on the drivers side collector. the LPP's do as well. that is honestly the only downfall. but sadly between my mufflex and my kooks i have roughly 2400 tied up in exhaust, ad havent even installed it yet! thats why i recommended the LPP's. will save you like 800 dollars.
Old 03-11-2010 | 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

the only reason i asked is that the Mufflex Y pipes are deisgned to mate up to the hooker long tubes. according to the guys at mufflex the pacesetters come out in pretty much the same location, the only thing youd probably have ot do is have the exhaust shop weld on a set of 3 bolt flanges on the bottom, or you could modify the Y for slip fit. i like the bolted flangesbbetter myself. ill probably have to modify that Y pipe alot for my kooks though. they have an angled kick out on the drivers side collector. the LPP's do as well. that is honestly the only downfall. but sadly between my mufflex and my kooks i have roughly 2400 tied up in exhaust, ad havent even installed it yet! thats why i recommended the LPP's. will save you like 800 dollars.
anything to lose in using the dual outlet mufflex over the single outlet?
Old 03-11-2010 | 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

flow. the crossflow design of the dual outlet slows the flow down too much. plus the dual outlets i would think would add weight, and are noticeable. the single that is hidden so well might mislead the idiot mustangers and imports into thinking they are messing with a V6 car. i know you think that the sound gives it away, but ive been asked ALOT if my car was a V6. i was completely shocked by it.

Quick Reply: Ideal exhaust setup for my 398LT1?