LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

STS turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS turbo kit?

I'm looking into buying a single turbo kit for my 95 fire bird.
gears,cai,tb,exhaust,elec waterpump are my only mods.

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Best bang for buck would be nitrous. Your going to need more support mods for the turbo.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^agree...i'm pretty sure the STS kits require you to tap into the oil pan to feed the turbo. I don't like the idea of that at all, but that's me. I've heard some people who have them say they put down good numbers but not good track times out of the box. HP numbers mean nothing if it can't run.. just my .02
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
^^^agree...i'm pretty sure the STS kits require you to tap into the oil pan to feed the turbo. I don't like the idea of that at all, but that's me. I've heard some people who have them say they put down good numbers but not good track times out of the box. HP numbers mean nothing if it can't run.. just my .02
Oil feed comes from the block, and normally the drain runs to the pan. With the sts, you need a pump to run the return oil back to the motor, you can have return anywhere if a pump is pushing it (oil fill cap, valvecover, pan, etc.).
Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Supporting mods like an A to A radiator and bigger injectors?

I'm just in the middle of H/C with bolt ons or just putting a single turbo on.

http://gssperformance.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=179

For installation of that what would be the supporting mods required. Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the STS kit on my old 94 z28. Only thing you really need for supporting mods would be larger fuel injectors, fuel pump and a good dyno tune and either a front mount/meth setup for anything over 5psi. 3:42-3:73 gears somewhere in that range would be a good gear ratio for that turbo. STS turbos do work pretty good. I made 377/378@5psi and 400/408@7psi on meth. I never took the car to the track but It was pretty quick. If I had to do it over I would have just gone with a supercharger. I'm not saying sts turbos are junk. It's just that the supercharger route would have been cheaper and I think faster with that set-up I had. Had allot of turbo lag, could not drive the car in the rain, everyone saw the turbo - and that's not good if you live in a bad area. Plus cars with just heads/cam where neck-to neck with me on racing.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by detroit_903
I had the STS kit on my old 94 z28. Only thing you really need for supporting mods would be larger fuel injectors, fuel pump and a good dyno tune and either a front mount/meth setup for anything over 5psi. 3:42-3:73 gears somewhere in that range would be a good gear ratio for that turbo. STS turbos do work pretty good. I made 377/378@5psi and 400/408@7psi on meth. I never took the car to the track but It was pretty quick. If I had to do it over I would have just gone with a supercharger. I'm not saying sts turbos are junk. It's just that the supercharger route would have been cheaper and I think faster with that set-up I had. Had allot of turbo lag, could not drive the car in the rain, everyone saw the turbo - and that's not good if you live in a bad area. Plus cars with just heads/cam where neck-to neck with me on racing.
Hm. How much was your supercharger set up?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by muxlt1
Hm. How much was your supercharger set up?
I sold my old 94 z28 sts setup and bought a 95 z28 w/ vortech. I defently like the vortech allot better then my sts set-up. I'm not saying not to go with STS - it's just if I could do it over I would have just bought a used supercharger kit, have it rebuilt checked over and would have saved a ton of money and been faster IMO. If you a m6 I would recommend a 2 step with that sts turbo. It will defently help you get off the line very very quick. I paid 4,500 for my turbo kit plus allot more with the fuel upgrades, tune,etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by detroit_903
I sold my old 94 z28 sts setup and bought a 95 z28 w/ vortech. I defently like the vortech allot better then my sts set-up. I'm not saying not to go with STS - it's just if I could do it over I would have just bought a used supercharger kit, have it rebuilt checked over and would have saved a ton of money and been faster IMO. If you a m6 I would recommend a 2 step with that sts turbo. It will defently help you get off the line very very quick. I paid 4,500 for my turbo kit plus allot more with the fuel upgrades, tune,etc.
Alright thanks I'm feeling toward the H/C w/bolt ons.
have a good day sir
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

... rock out the lt1 sts!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Teching In

I like my sts kit i made for my gto turbo tucks higher than sts kit and rerouted piping lost a lot of pipe my way spools at 3000 rpm and launches hard now building one for my buddies 96 lt1 we will see.

Quick Reply: STS turbo kit?