LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rod knock or bad lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rod knock or bad lifters?

Ok, well i was out cruising in the car yesterday and all was fine till I got on it in 3rd gear. There is a major vibration that i feel on the clutch pedal when i press it in. The check engine light did go on and i pulled the code which was PO300. In the video you wont see a MIL cause i cleared it by accident. Prior to this happening, i have always kinda had bad oil readings on the dash. Like sometimes in cold weather starts it would be like 65 and when it warmed up it would drop down to about 10 at idle. It always moved up when i gave it gas so i figured the pump is fine. Well yesterday about 30mins before everything happened, when i came to a red light, my oil pressure would drop to 0 and the check gauges would come on. Now it has come on before but i have always checked the oil right after and its been fine. I really hope that it isnt rod knock or a spun bearing. I am posting a video so you can kinda hear what im talking about. Please help if you can. Thanks, mike

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Hard to tell exactly but it sounds like a rod to me, i would park it right away before it finds its way out of the block and your stuck buying a new block as well as internals. Just my 2 cents, Good Luck
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

I agree, sounds like a rod. And from your description there's not much else it could be.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

ok well if it is a rod, what am i looking at as far as rebuilding it? I have plenty of time and i will try and do it myself so im not paying for labor. Should i just start tearing the engine apart?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Also, do i need to take the block out of the car for this? If so, im really screwed. I only have a driveway to work on it in and i dont have any room to be putting a whole block somewhere.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

use a mechanics stetoscope and put it up to the oil pan and valves covers. You will be able to tell where its coming from. If it is loud near the pan... not good news.

If it is a spun bearing (which is sounds like to me), be prepared to spend A LOT of money and A LOT of time
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Yes you need to pull the engine.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah, definitely rod knock.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the oil pick up tube could of been the beginning cause for losing oil pressure when coming to a stop. Then continuing to drive it just made things worse which sounds like a rod and bearings to fail
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

so whats my best bet? Should i start looking for a newer lower mileage motor or rebuild mine?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I would just find another one or just a short block and swap your parts over
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finding a good used short block (in your situation with work space) would probably be your best bet. With a few friends you could have the old motor out and the new motor in in a weekend.

Unless you've got some $$$ and plan to upgrade...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a couple hundred dollar short block and swap it all over.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My oil pressure is ZERO and theres a loud knocking sound from my engine. I think I'll make a video of me letting it idle for a whille, then cruise it thru the hood to see what people on the internet tell me.

damn...
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
My oil pressure is ZERO and theres a loud knocking sound from my engine. I think I'll make a video of me letting it idle for a whille, then cruise it thru the hood to see what people on the internet tell me.

damn...
You know, I thought about that too...but didn't want to say anything.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob

damn...
I thought thats what these forums are for...maybe he really didnt know. Its kind of hard to ask someone for advice when all you say is "its making a noise"

+ 2 on the rod bearngs my car did the same thing
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on man... really?

I dont know about you but the INSTANT I see my oil pressure drop to zero the engine is getting shut off and it is getting TOWED to wherever I need to go.

and I sure as hell aint gonna ride it around the block to make a damn video.

It's not like we could hear what was really going on inside the car anyway... He could have had someone start the car and held the video camera under the hood / near the engine for 10 SECONDS and we would have the same effect as that long *** video up there...

I know it sucks when you have problems, but when you intentionally make them worse on yourself it's hard to overlook. I mean whatever problems were there causing the noise it is now probably ten times worse because of the amount of time he has driven it and ran the engine with ZERO, let me repeat that ZERO oil pressure...!

The MOST I would have ran that engine is to put a manual gauge on it to verify that it actually had no oil pressure, and if that didn't come up on the manual gauge in about 10 seconds it would have been shut off.

Regardless of what the noise is the engine has to come apart anyway because of the no oil pressure issue!. So what's the point in continuing to run the engine and cause further damage....?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I completely agree 100%....no way would I be running my motor either. I can just see this being an honest noob question because your right, anyone who knows anything about engines should know better.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

I just wasnt sure you could hear the sound so thats why i drove it. This is my first v8 coming from owning a s/c tiburon and a cobalt ss. Im not the kind of guy that can diagnose things right off the bat. From what i have been reading, as long as the oil pressure gauge goes up with rpm then it was suppose to be fine, which it does. I apologize for making such a long video but i havent made one before. So, when you guys are saying just buy another shortblock, you mean the whole engine right? Including all the internal parts or a bare block? Again im new to this but im not scared of tearing into the engine. Thanks for everyone one's help. Mike
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, theyre saying find another good "running" engine out of another car and swap it over with your accesories

Quick Reply: Rod knock or bad lifters?