LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How heavy is an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
Damn, that's a good idea!!! Would that actually work?
Yah it works pretty good too. just grab the tail shaft of the trans lift and push.. Kind of hard to steer it though.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too concerned about steering, it just needs to be able to make a 90 degree turn towards the house, then straight down the hill to the back door.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too concerned about steering, it just needs to be able to make a 90 degree turn towards the house, then straight down the hill to the back door.
Yah that is the way to do it then. Have the guys try to drag it rather then push it, it will be easier to maneuver around. There are lots of pictures of people doing it that way on here i saw one the other day in a thread. I cant remember who posted it, but if you want to see how it is done look around.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good! You should come to the island for Thunder in the Alberni Valley. Big drag racing event where you camp out. Tons of fun.
I have not heard of this, but as a family we have 3 camaros. Ill try and be there!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
Yah that is the way to do it then. Have the guys try to drag it rather then push it, it will be easier to maneuver around. There are lots of pictures of people doing it that way on here i saw one the other day in a thread. I cant remember who posted it, but if you want to see how it is done look around.
I'll keep that in mind. They're pretty damn stubborn though, and I know they'll just end up doing it "their" way. Whatever that may be. lol

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
I have not heard of this, but as a family we have 3 camaros. Ill try and be there!
http://www.albernidragracing.com/website/home.html

Check it out. You have to pre-register, and it fills up fast. Bring all three cars! We'll have a line of F-bodies at our camp spot! Its tons of fun. We usually go up on the Thursday night to make sure we can get in, and get good spots close to the strip. Then you camp out, walk around, look at everyone's cars, and just generally hang out for the day. Saturday they do time trials, and with how many cars they have, you usually get at least an hour or two between rounds, so plenty of time to rip down the road and hang out at the lake Then Saturday night there's tons of parties at the track, more camping and redneckery, then Sunday they move on to eliminations. It's the only true 1/4 mile event we have on the island, so its a pretty big deal. Lots of amazing cars show up. At the 2006 race, they had a funny car race a jet that they planned to have fly over at a specific time. Last year someone built a semi truck into a dragster.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill be there, call it a date
Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome. Who else in your family has Camaros?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dad has a 68 ss
brother has a 383 turbo lt1
Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Daaaamn
Old 03-18-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

If you ever get off the Island, as stated a $75.00 USD 1500LB garden cart from Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, Harbour Freight, Ace or China made whatever is close, can take the weight of the whole engine/a4/ subframe and all, and can be pulled by a person on level ground but 2 makes it lots nicer.
Seen it done lots of times around here, just make sure the tires are aired up and filled with atv no flat jelly.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lady driven, did you do the out the bottom, or through the top method? Did you use a writeup anywhere?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

No write up, I just had a few of my car savvy buddies over on a promise of steak and beer. (we went through about 60 bucks of steak and two flats of beer, but it was well worth it).

When I told them I wanted to drop it out the bottom they looked at me like I was insane. Ended up pulling it out the top. One of the guys works for an auto wrecker so he's got tons of experience pulling motors out. I already had the rad and a lot of the wiring out by the time they got there, but it still ended up taking seven hours. That did include meal breaks as well though. I'd say the worst part was trying to undo the bellhousing bolts with the motor and trans still in the car. I have a picture somewhere of me glaring at rob from under the car while I'm trying to do it. LOL

Engine is out now though and sitting on a stand beside the car. Gonna start picking at it this week. I finished removing all the AC and heater crap today. So much easier to so without an engine in the way!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to ask from the beginning, why are you pulling the motor in the first place? Lol.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
I forgot to ask from the beginning, why are you pulling the motor in the first place? Lol.
Oh I was bored... lol

That, by the way, is a really BAD thing to say to two men who are covered in grease, and tired from a 7 hour day of pulling your engine. I nearly had a wrench thrown at me..

The motor mounts are gone, and needed to be replaced. The car had a MASSIVE oil leak, and no one could figure out where it was coming from. I figured it was either the oil pan, or the rear main, and the engine pretty much needs to come out to do either of those. I want to re-seal everything while its out. I've also got a new 3600 stall torque converter going in, and with the engine out, it'll be easier. Plus, I'm painting the car satin black, and with the engine out, I can now do the engine bay as well. I realize none of these things are good reasons to pull an engine, but with the time it would have taken to do all of them with the engine still in the car, it just became worth it to pull the damn thing and make it easier. I'm now trying to figure out if there's anything else I should do while the engine is out. It actually looks like I may have a bent push rod as well, so I might be replacing them.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a lt4 and some head work! Or something
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know of anyone on the island with a flow bench And race season is 5 weeks away, I don't have time to send them to Vancouver (or an excessive amount of cash lying around...)
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, im having a hard time finding a person to port and flowbench my heads too :S
Old 03-22-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

I found a guy in Victoria who can do it, but he doesn't have a flowbench. Says he doesn't need one unless its for a serious race engine. Hrrrmmmm
Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id be iffy about that, id want proven work with numbers and charts. Even AI and LE doing work, do they flowbench each set of heads they do, or do they build a head, flow it, and build the rest to that spec assuming it makes the same numbers? Either way, id want them benched.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt there good builders around here that do no work on a bench and build some of the best engines street and race. if theyre a good reputible shop dont worry

Quick Reply: How heavy is an LT1?