LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Want an x pipe but know what to get need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want an x pipe but know what to get need help

How much is an x pipe exhaust system if know were i can get one for a good price and can i get it on a 94 trans am thanks guy
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

I have a summit 3in universal x-pipe on my car with dumped bullets. It does require some welding skills but over all really easy to install. Ill get put up some pics of mine.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3rdgen92maro
I have a summit 3in universal x-pipe on my car with dumped bullets. It does require some welding skills but over all really easy to install. Ill get put up some pics of mine.
not to jack.. but i am about to do the same universal x and was wondering what headers you have? im not sure how to hook the pacesetters up to the x pipe becuase it doesnt have a flange on the header, just a tube.. thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

lol. looking at the same summit universal 3" as well with magnaflow or borla mufflers dumped. Also in for pics on install
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Summit x-pipe kit works, but IMO custom is a better route. My dumped setup was $400+mufflers all mandrel bent in-house. I had it run basically like an ORY setup, but with an X. To see what I'm talking about look at some pics of over the axle setups here. Mine is just like those usually are, but dumped. The biggest problem with the summit kit is that the X points the pipes too much toward the side to really be conducive to good clearance. If you were to use an off the shelf X I'd recommend the Magnaflow because with that one the pipes go straight in, then straight back almost like an H-Pipe. I think either that X or others like it are in some of the setups in that thread I linked you to.

Originally Posted by lttransam
not to jack.. but i am about to do the same universal x and was wondering what headers you have? im not sure how to hook the pacesetters up to the x pipe becuase it doesnt have a flange on the header, just a tube.. thanks!
For that you would use band clamps. I used stainless steel ones from NAPA. I forget the name but they are the nicest ones NAPA sells and after almost a year mine have never leaked. Granted the guy who did my duals also welded some anchors onto both the pipes and the collectors so that may play a part.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

so if i buy the two mufflers and the x pipe would i come out cheaper
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yep thats the best bet. The x-pipe kit runs like $99 and then just and on what ever mufflers you want to run
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigj2717
yep thats the best bet. The x-pipe kit runs like $99 and then just and on what ever mufflers you want to run
what web site can you get the x pipe kit from or which store can you get it from..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Summit racing
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Launching!

i ran the summit x on mine, the cheapest way in my opinion. $90 for the x pipe kit and whatever mufflers you want. the x pipe kit will mate up to pacesetters as thats what i have on my car and you just use but to but clamps to hold it together with the LTs. if you go the magnaflow x pipe route dont spend $90+ for their x just get one off ebay for $30 those are made by flowsound just type that into the search and they come up. those are identical to the maganaflow x.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lttransam
Im running pacesetters, i used some of the 3in band clamps to connect the x-pipe to the the headers, works like a champ.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 206 Likes on 160 Posts

I have about $250 into this setup here..

Summit 3" Kit- $100
Flo-Pro Twisties- $130
Hangers- $20
Welded it up in a friends driveway, I used some of the leftovers from my old Y-pipe.

It's not going to be a direct install..you will have to piece it in.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

i wish i had something that cheap marv..for real ...lol
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

You can build it for cheap like I did..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

how can i do that, let me cause i have no ideal....
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Buy it..wait for parts to come in..find someone you know with a Welder.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chris94
how can i do that, let me cause i have no ideal....
Wow…Merv gave you the parts break down and everybody has said where you can get it. Just spend some time on the summit site and find what you need and order it
Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I made my own x-pipe, by using 2 45 degree pipes from a local parts store, slashing off the backside of the pipe about half way thrue, but still leaving over half of the back side of the tube still there. match all your inner and outer diameter tubes for a slip fit and just use muffler clamps to connect all your pipe if you dont have anyone to weld up for ya, or just want the cheapest route, your gonna need some hangers too. most of them attach to the muffler clamps and have an end that you have to mounto the body somewhere. Moat likely your having bolts run thrue the floor. If you do no biggie just make sure that you have a thicker pieces of metal than your floorboard that your bolts can pass thrue. THese sandwhich the fllorboards and help spread the load out. Granted most of mine is welded up, but one of my pipes moved 1/4 inch off so I have to kinda fix that spot in mine. I have mine dumped before the axle, abut my x-pipe is kinda messed up since I didnt quite go the way I just told ya, I tried a different meathod by splicing 2 pipes together and it kinda didnt go the way I was looking to do it. Oh well live and learn. Most of my pipe does sit over more towards the passenger side, and it wont go over the axle this way unless you buy a panhard bar relocating set up if you have a dual 3 inch exhaust. Hence why I am dumped at the axle for now. Your best bet is to go 2.25 to 2.5 inch pipe. Now you need to figure what muffler your want. I went with some Dynomax bullits, and they the short racing ones. THis type of muffler will give your great clearance, but your gonna be pretty loud in the car for normal conversation. Glass packs to me dont sound right but another option. Some guys use a regular muffler, but I would say to try and run up over theaxle and mount mufflers back there if you use full size baffled mufflers or turbo mufflers. If i had the money I would have used some Borla xr1s, they are pure sex in the way they sound, but kinda barky, but sound cool when you downshift, dynomaxes do the popping sound too when cause they are so free flowing.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

If thisis your first time to try all this, I def would get an x-pipe already made outta summit or Jegs, making your own is very labor intensive, and you would need to have some one who can welld for you if you cant.

Quick Reply: Want an x pipe but know what to get need help