LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

getting alot of water in pass. valve cover.need help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting alot of water in pass. valve cover.need help?

Long story short, on my 93' ta, I put a filter on the valve cover about 4 yrs. ago,I just took it off about 3 months ago because it was building up alittle crankcase pressure, causing it to leak oil I believe out the timing cover, anyways I put a elbow on it and ran it to my holley 58mm t.b. out the nipple on the side of the t.b. anyways Im getting alot of water condensation in the valve cover now, I just took off the pass. vc about 3 weeks ago, and cleaned it out, it had alot of white milky,thick gunk in it, and on the roller rockers. and I just checked it again, and same thing, I cleaned it out, and took off the hose off the t.b. and water dripped out, I took off the elbow on the vc and put in a pcv valve, will this stop condensation from getting in the vc? and if not, Im curious why Im getting water in there? the cai is not getting water in it. it is a ram air setup. here is a pic of how I have the hose ran, is this right? thanks for any help.

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 03-26-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

white milky = coolant aswell. headgasket?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
white milky = coolant aswell. headgasket?
Naw Im pretty sure it's water, because it's coming from the t.b. and it's pure water,no antifreeze at all.oil is clean as is coolant. Car is not smoking,not missing, no coolant smell, I can tell it's coming from the t.b., there has been alot of rain lately maybe somehow water is getting into the t.b. from the cai? Im just curious if the pcv valve will also keep the water out, or maybe it's time for a catch can.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is your Vararam set up? If it is in front of the radiator in the ducting that routs the air into the radiator I could see why.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 212 Posts

Do you have the line that goes through the TB for Coolant accidently hooked up to your PCV?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like condensation I would try a catchcan setup if you like. Mine did that during winter time and I put a catchcan setup with it pulling both valve covers and it fixed it.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
Do you have the line that goes through the TB for Coolant accidently hooked up to your PCV?

I did the t.b. coolant bypass yrs. ago, I don't believe it's the line.
I don't have the vararam on the my ta. it's on my goat. here is a pic. of the ram air setup...

here is the t.b. nipple that I have the valve cover hose running to..

Maybe it's just alot of condensation since it's been winter. Well now spring.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any idea's by looking at the picture? is the hose hooked up to the right spot.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Condensation, mine does it too.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
any idea's by looking at the picture? is the hose hooked up to the right spot.
Yeah its hooked up right.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Catch can time. It will Condensate in the can. You can put a check valve in the bottom of the can and when you shut the car off if there is enough in there it will drain out the check valve.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaycenk
Catch can time. It will Condensate in the can. You can put a check valve in the bottom of the can and when you shut the car off if there is enough in there it will drain out the check valve.
That's the way I will go. Becuase Im getting so much in there, I can take off the oil filler cap and rub my finger around in there, and by the rr's and it looks like I come up with a teaspoon of mayonaise.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Do you drive very short distances in the winter without letting the car fully warm up?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Do you drive very short distances in the winter without letting the car fully warm up?

Yeah I gave the car to my son. "17". and I know he probably doesn't let it war up enough.Im not around when he leaves, but I bet he doesn't let it warm up for then 30sec. to 1min. before he leaves. Plus he only drives about 3/4 mi. then he's at school and he shuts it down.In our small town, he doesn't get over 30mph.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Does it look like this:

Its normal and caused by short drives in the winter without letting the car warm up.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why on earth has no one mentioned anything about there being a PCV valve in the valve cover?

TAKE IT OUT.

That tube is merely a supply hose for the crankcase for the actual PCV valve (located on the driver side of the intake manifold). With the fresh air supply hose restricted by a PCV valve, the ACTUAL PCV valve doesn't have any negative vacuum to function properly and burn off the crankcase gases, promoting a build-up of moisture and sludge.

Once you remove the PCV valve, then you should start to see a decrease in crankcase moisture, but not entirely. It is normal to have a small amount of condensation in the crankcase.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Why on earth has no one mentioned anything about there being a PCV valve in the valve cover?

TAKE IT OUT.

That tube is merely a supply hose for the crankcase for the actual PCV valve (located on the driver side of the intake manifold). With the fresh air supply hose restricted by a PCV valve, the ACTUAL PCV valve doesn't have any negative vacuum to function properly and burn off the crankcase gases, promoting a build-up of moisture and sludge.

Once you remove the PCV valve, then you should start to see a decrease in crankcase moisture, but not entirely. It is normal to have a small amount of condensation in the crankcase.
No I was getting the ton of moisture/sludge with the open elbow. then I just added the pcv, but I will take it out, I just figured it would stop moisture from getting in, but I think I will go back to having a filter on the vc. and just put a cap over the nipple of t.b. Unless I get a catch-can and I might run it that way.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Does it look like this:

Why did you pour coffee in there?

Quick Reply: getting alot of water in pass. valve cover.need help?