LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New to modding, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New to modding, need help!!!

I've got a 97 z28 a4 with an lt1 obviously, in the process of replacing my head gaskets. While the car is torn down I'd like to do some minor modifications and keep in mind that this will be my daily driver when the job is complete. I have roughly 1200-1500$s to play with and was hoping you guys had some advice that would help me get the best bang for my buck. I've done some research on prices, head gasket kit runs me 230 plus 50 for the headbolts, is the a reasonable price? Looking for mainly bolt ons, any advice is greatly appreciated. Websites and brands of parts would be helpful as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Well a good place to start is long-tube headers...since I am assuming that you have the engine out of the car to replace the head gaskets that makes things ALOT easier to do the headers...then plugs and wires MSD wires work well...and depending on what you want to do with the engine depends on the plugs...possibly an electric water pump as well
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x2 for headers!

If you decide to have your heads worked, that would be a good time for a cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers and springs. If your not going that far, stick to things like a good intake, exhaust, gears, and a good tune to support the following. Like ferg said too, plugs, wires, during the header install, and an electric WP. Gl!

Also, read the stickys! https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ewbie-faq.html

-SS
Old 04-15-2010, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

A stall will be one of the most bang for the buck part you could do it picked me up a whole lot
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much of the work are you willing to do yourself? I would say that while you are in there you may as well do a valvetrain refresh.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I've looked into upgrades like a new cam, but im not wanting to dig that far in. I thought about port n polishn my heads, and have been told thats a waste of time for the money. I am however going to be decking the heads a tad for a slight increase in compression, whats a good number to have milled off? Even considered port n polish on intake manifold and throttle body, and is that silly to consider? And I have also looked around and think im goin with a pacesetter set up for my headers and exhaust. And I will for sure be getting a tune after all is said and done, thanks guys for the tips and hope i can get some more ideas as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having the heads ported in is no way a waste, it is one of the best mods you can get on these engines. Our heads are not the greatest flowing things on the planet and will always benefit from being opened up. Milling the heads will bump the compression slightly, which may give you a very small increase in power, but will overall not be worth the money spent.

With the amount of money you have to spend I would say that you should stick to normal bolt-on's, if not a valvetrain refreshing. When our cars see this many miles the top end gets tired.

Headers will run around $500 for a good set, CAI around $100 (maybe less if used), and a stall could be in a range from $3-800 for a quality one.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

What exactly does a stall do for me?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

I take it the head gaskets were blown, if that is correct you don't have a choice you MUST have them surfaced it is not much money. I have no idea how many miles are on your engine, but I would never change a head gasket without a valve job. Read on here about the head gasket choices you can use one that is not as thick to get CR to ~11:1

BUT it is a slippery slope and next there is the well heck since engine is out of the car re ring it. Well if there is over 100k on the motor the pistons will likely be worn...another coupe hundred nd does block need to be bored?

$1200 - $1500 sounds like alot, but if you don't do the work yourself you won't get much done.

If it were me I would do a valve job, change to better valve springs, get roller rockers, re ring it and get the cam reground. I would go with a hotcam if you can afford a stall then a 224/232.

A stall ~2800 and 3.73 gears would make it a fun ride and could wait for you to have more money. Remember with the better power the trans will now be stock and trying to hold more power. It never ends it seems so easy to simply do one change, but stock is reliable as you mod you lose reliability that you must improve or live with.

After all this we haven't talked tune you will need to buy or the software to do it yourself.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could do 1.6 rocker arms while you are working on the heads and longtube headers are real nice.