LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible 575 HP w/ some changes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Thanks for the quote, I can direct link to my exact response from 07 and not have to actually write anything.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/7272264-post10.html
Originally Posted by Puck
I have heard nothing but good things from Port Pros.

Asking questions like these on internet boards will give highly opinionated(and often uninformed) answers. Very few of the people who reply will have experience with either of the companies in questions, so most responses will be hear-say.

I would try to get in contact with member who actually have had work done from the companies in question.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically the goals are a 10 second street car but lets face it this isnt easy. my dad forbids i go to the track with the 10 bolt and i dont blame him. its getting worse everyday just from spinning holeshots and 3 gear burnouts. he just drives the car around to cruise, no interest in racing. once i get a rear in the car, a trailer for my rig, i will be racing it. car already has comp eng. 3 way shocks, lower control arms, and its a hardtop. the trans for some reason shifts extremely nice, not sure whats done to it.

as far as a solid roller, im only opposed because im not the best wrencher and adjusting valves frequently may not be a good thing for me. we plan on putting at least 5-6k miles during march - november on the car, so a big hydraulic should get the job done.

once again, im just looking for some opinions on the motor, i know without more susp. and slicks/DRs the cars got no chance in hooking.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stumprrp
basically the goals are a 10 second street car but lets face it this isnt easy. my dad forbids i go to the track with the 10 bolt and i dont blame him. its getting worse everyday just from spinning holeshots and 3 gear burnouts. he just drives the car around to cruise, no interest in racing. once i get a rear in the car, a trailer for my rig, i will be racing it. car already has comp eng. 3 way shocks, lower control arms, and its a hardtop. the trans for some reason shifts extremely nice, not sure whats done to it.

as far as a solid roller, im only opposed because im not the best wrencher and adjusting valves frequently may not be a good thing for me. we plan on putting at least 5-6k miles during march - november on the car, so a big hydraulic should get the job done.

once again, im just looking for some opinions on the motor, i know without more susp. and slicks/DRs the cars got no chance in hooking.
You don't need a giant cam, huge valves, and all that other **** to run 10s. I know lately I'm sounding like the poster child of a build gone right, but I'm doing it easily.

A mild cam, good heads, all the bolt-ons, some added displacement, some higher RPMs, a good tune, the right gear, the right converter, a few suspension mods, someone who can drive, and a sticky tire is really all you need.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

so basically i have a shot the way the car sits, i know he told me his best time at NED was 11.5 at either 122 or 123, ill take the guys word, but i rather prove it myself eventually.

the only reason i had this thinking is because i see most LT1 setups, with yours being an exception i suppose, pretty wild for high 10's.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Golen's dyno is more than a little "happy" 25% loss once in car is typical so your super 520hp stroker makes LESS than a lot of good heads/cam setup cars. You want to make more power sell the whole thing to someone else and start over.

Don't bench race about how to pickup power. Copy Ramair95TA's setup, proven recipe.
Here we go Dyno racing. Your such a AI nuthugger that I get nauseous reading your posts. There are many companies out there producing much better results. They just aren't sponsors here so they can not be mentioned.

Since we only have 1/8th mile tracks close to me, I'd like to know what YOUR 1/8th mile times are. Your 1/4 mile doesn't convert very well to the 1/8th being ONLY at 7.39. (http://www.wallaceracing.com/eigth-et-from-quarter.php)

Chad has great customer service and also gave me his personal cell number to call if I had any questions before, during and after the build. I'm sure I'm not the only customer he has done this for. His heads are cnc'd and the cam came from the same vendor AI use's. So whats the beef? Oh wait I think I figured it out. He's not a sponsor here and doesn't waste his time with the internet and the pissing match's. We see this around here between AI and LE all the time. I do not blame him. His customers know how to contact him. I'm a very happy Golen H/C customer.

As with any company, there are customers that are not happy. We do not know the complete story behind how the engines were installed, abused, or maintained. I'm sure there are many disgruntled customers of AI and any other vendor out there too. I know many. But that's hearsay and can only go off my personal experience. I'll personally stay away from AI thank you.. I've had my experience with them.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stumprrp
so basically i have a shot the way the car sits....
I would say yes. My suggestion would be to optimize what you have before trying to make more HP. You can build the baddest LT1 out there and still not run that well if you don't work on your combination.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My best 1/8 mile is 7.324 you say that is not so great but most of you here are too stupid to comprehend the extra 500lbs I am pushing down the track and doing it without a stroker, without a single plane, without racegas, without drag shocks or skinnies.

This is an over 2 ton street car, AC, ABS, power seat, stock crash bumpers unmolested, and this is through full exhaust to the bumper. Most of the f-bodies running these times are more heavily modified and less streetable.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Anyone remember when LJ, Christian, Jordon, and Ellis used to post on these forums? Those guys did more with a lot less than 90% of the guys on here now.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

That brings up another good point, most of you aren't capable of comprehensive comparison.

One guy has welded up castings with the runners relocated and you compare it to simply ported stock castings without welding. Or compare one car upwards of 14:1 compression to another under 12:1.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Launching!

That brings up another good point, most of you aren't capable of comprehensive comparison.

One guy has welded up castings with the runners relocated and you compare it to simply ported stock castings without welding. Or compare one car upwards of 14:1 compression to another under 12:1.
I'm sure you were around when that kid from TX put his 4th gen into the 10's with 30# injectors and "home ported" LT1 heads. Wonder what happened to him?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Here compare this one. It's a street truck not a race truck. No 12:1 compression or race gas. 93 octane with some dr's

4000+ lb s10 blazer xtreme (4250 w/driver) with the entire ground effects kit, all stock suspension, lowering blocks, full stereo, ps, a/c, windshield wipers, tilt steering, power seats, abs. etc etc. FULL STEEL UNMODIFIED frame with LEAF SPRINGS and no traction bars yet, steel bumpers. Stock bilstein shocks, homemade cai and stock intake with just the tb side enlarged and 100% streetable as it also has a sunroof, power windows and door locks, heavy back glass, all glass and steel bodied truck. That's right FULL WEIGHT. Golen 185cc H/C package knocking on the door of 6's in the 8th with an unlocked converter. Yes I believe I'm doing more with less. Oh since people like to dyno race it only puts down 340rwhp/315rwtq on a dynojet. Track times state its got a little more than what the dyno states. Dynos are only good for the first step in tuning your setup and for dyno racers.

I guess you'll now say our timing system is wrong.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Man, you get seriously bent out of shape when someone knocks Golen...more-so than I've seen on here in awhile. Fact is, Chad is good to some people, but a REAL ******** to others, myself included. His workmanship is hit or miss, and I've seen that first-hand (that means physical proof, in my hands) on several occasions. You happened to be a lucky one - congratulations.

You simply can't deny that people have had issues with their engines, parts selection, and workmanship (EDIT: on a consistent basis).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by illusions
Here compare this one. It's a street truck not a race truck. No 12:1 compression or race gas. 93 octane with some dr's

4000+ lb s10 blazer xtreme (4250 w/driver) with the entire ground effects kit, all stock suspension, lowering blocks, full stereo, ps, a/c, windshield wipers, tilt steering, power seats, abs. etc etc. FULL STEEL UNMODIFIED frame with LEAF SPRINGS and no traction bars yet, steel bumpers. Stock bilstein shocks, homemade cai and stock intake with just the tb side enlarged and 100% streetable as it also has a sunroof, power windows and door locks, heavy back glass, all glass and steel bodied truck. That's right FULL WEIGHT. Golen 185cc H/C package knocking on the door of 6's in the 8th with an unlocked converter. Yes I believe I'm doing more with less. Oh since people like to dyno race it only puts down 340rwhp/315rwtq on a dynojet. Track times state its got a little more than what the dyno states. Dynos are only good for the first step in tuning your setup and for dyno racers.

LMAO! C'mon now... but the caprice is way heavier... by almost 500lbs.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

That does sound on the surface to be comparable to my car. I think you are leaving something out though.

ONE engine does not make a rule though. I think most here will agree when I say that is a way out in left field exception to the rule. We see more blown up underperformers.

My suspension is BMR rear lowers, some airlift bags, monroe/bilstein shocks, nothing fancy.

I don't lock my converter either because with the gearing and bias tires have me at too low an rpm at the traps to bother with lockup.

I will admit I have never handled Golen parts, but enough guys that made that MISTAKE have come to me looking for advise on how to go about fixing it, that I don't need to handle those parts myself to know they are a bad decision.

Do I need to buy everything at Harbor Freight to know it is all chinese crap? I don't think so, maybe you do.

With adequate research accurate opinions can be formed about parts without buying them. Often buying parts makes egos get involved and blindly defend poor results.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

There is a local Corvette restoration and customization company here that use's Golen engines and has had very good success. The same tuner that tunes those tuned mine. So that make me one of many satisfied Golen customers.

I'm not only defending Golen but all NON SPONSORS of the website. I have seen a pattern that the bashing will always be against non sponsors. no matter what the part or the reputation. As I've said in my previous posts. you can find good and bad examples of every companies product. I've even had people on a forum start crap about a product I put out but when all said and done it was installers error. If you sell something, people will still complain about it. It's all how you deal with the complaint.

Bottom line is you just can not trust any information you read on the internet. You will get information from people you have no idea as to their mechanical abilities. They could be just repeating what they read on some other forum some some 18 yr old.

Oh I've left something out.... STOCK BOTTOM END!

Have a nice day!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you sell something, people will still complain about it. It's all how you deal with the complaint.
THIS is why Chad is a douchebag.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

listen guys, there are flaws with EVERY SINGLE car related company in america, NO ONE is perfect! i also have chads cell phone number and home number in case something goes wrong with this car, once again it was HIS car for 3 years so im sure it wasnt one of the puffs.

ill take everyones advice and optimize what i have, AKA get rid of the junk *** 10 bolt that is driving me insane.

Quick Reply: Possible 575 HP w/ some changes?