LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MY Ebay LT Header Install...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MY Ebay LT Header Install...

Ok afew weeks ago i bought a set of stepped stainless LT headers off the ebay store ap1ap2. I picked those afew reading up on an old post on the forums about someone else using them. When i received them i was very impressed with the overall quality of the headers. They were just as advertised. 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" with a .500" flange.

I had known in advance that there was going to be abit of "persuasion" in this header install. Keep in mind these are $310 shipped!

Drivers Side: This side required abit of a beating on the primaries but the K-member under the steering linkage. My K-member is stock so im sure people with aftermarket K-members might not run into this problem. Another hurdle for this side was the steering knuckle. I had to do abit of everything to allow for clearance on this. The first was i had loosened the 3 bolts that hold the steering shaft to the body and moved it as far out of the way as possible. Secondly was to dent the primary a fair ammount followed by grinding the knuckle down some. It wasnt something i wanted to do but i had to. after that the header bolted up free and clear with ample spark plug room and oil filter clearance. P.S. This headers flange did have a slight high spot to it! I installed these headers at night and only had a sanding block and a small grinder to work with but i got it very good and had no leaks! This is also using the supplied header gaskets!

Passenger Side: This side also required abit of bashing with a large hammer to fit right. But not as much as the drivers side. The only real spot where this header hit was on the #8 primary. It was hitting the body of the car. Pretty badly too! I had flattened out the primary to give me around .250" of clearance. It also took alittle around the K-member again to fit but it wasnt that bad.

Y-Pipe: Is very well constructed. All ends mate up very well and tightly. Attaching it to the headers required nearly no effort. I did silicone all 3 joints where it require clamps and used "pypes" style band clamps. (part #PYE-HVC24) I highly recommend them! there a very good clamp. It tucks up very nicely and leaves plenty of ground clearance.

my car isnt lowered, and i have more then enough ground clearance. Ive been driving around with it for afew days now and speed bumps and pot holes arent a problems.

First Impressions: Mine are very strong about these headers. Theyre cheap, Well made, and fit fairly well.. It added a very powerful note to my exhaust and Definitely increased power substantially! An easy 10-15 hp up top, and they smoothed out my whole power band. A very nice increase over my Mac Mids. They made my car Alot louder however. As a result i had to quiet it down some with a new muffler. My magnaflow and classic chambered muffler just werent going to cut it where i live. So i purchased a Hooker Super comp muffler to take its place out back.

Sorry i do not have any videos yet because my cameras mic is nearly dead. With the new muffler its much more reserved. when i go wide open on it tho it has a very nice scream to it! I didnt install my cutout but in the near future i feel like i will definitely be needing to do so. Im sorry if i had made this to long. i just wanted to get my whole experience down. I love them!

And heres alittle eye candy for everyone! its not an LT1 but it was at the gas station today when i was filling up!

An all original #'s matching 1990 ZR1! it was immaculate!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT

An all original #'s matching 1990 ZR1! it was immaculate!
Dear God that thing is beautiful!

Can't beat the price on that exhaust either
Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice work
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Look good man! Wish they would make some emission style stainless headers instead of race only.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Look good man! Wish they would make some emission style stainless headers instead of race only.
im sure you could get the bungs welded in. im a welder and it would be possible if you wanted to.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, does your D.S. header rub on the plastic steering rod cover? Mine did and melted part of it...
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

That is one clean LT5 there....

nice work on the headers. I see you have the single exhaust setup like me.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

do you still have the mac mids? I would like to buy em
Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by SS#502
Looks good, does your D.S. header rub on the plastic steering rod cover? Mine did and melted part of it...
You could have not put it back on? OP, where did you hammer the passenger header for fitment?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

I never took it off, I just notice it the other day when I was bolting the headers back up after changing my headgaskets. I guess I could take it off now though...

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
You could have not put it back on? OP, where did you hammer the passenger header for fitment?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow im surprised to see so many people posting to this thread now lol

Originally Posted by SS#502
I removed my plastic over along time ago when i tightened up my rag joint. but the entire knuckle assembly was very close to it.

Originally Posted by nik1703
That is one clean LT5 there....

nice work on the headers. I see you have the single exhaust setup like me.
Yeah that LT5 was mint! the guy says he drives it all the time too. and he wants to build a 427 lt5

i Love my single exhaust. idk why more people just go that route. i dont care for the look of tips on camaros very much...

Originally Posted by rbaksi
do you still have the mac mids? I would like to buy em
I do. shoot me a pm and well talk about it.

the passenger side header needed some fitting just where the primaries go next to the K-memeber and on the #8 primary where it swoops out. it hits the body of the car bad. but if you have the patience to take the header in and out afew times youll get it perfectly fine.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
the passenger side header needed some fitting just where the primaries go next to the K-memeber and on the #8 primary where it swoops out. it hits the body of the car bad. but if you have the patience to take the header in and out afew times youll get it perfectly fine.
I have the same set of headers you do and didn't have that problem, although I had to bang the fire wall in a bit to get the header flange past it and into position.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I have the same set of headers you do and didn't have that problem, although I had to bang the fire wall in a bit to get the header flange past it and into position.
Im sure not all sets are the same. but with mine thats what i had to do to get mine to fit. for $310 shipped tho i didnt care to much about some hammer marks
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol can't wait for those vids
Old 11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any videos yet?

I just purchased these and cant wait to know what my car will sound like.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

^^^ he just build a new Y pipe for them, so it will sound different, I had them and it was pretty loud, sounded good but it didnt worked out for me
Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry for not having the ability to post up vid;'s when i did just the LT's... as stated, i just built a new Y-pipe and have my exhaust Exactly the way i want it. those LT's, my custom Y, a classic chambered muffler in the I pipe and a hooker aerochamber in the back. Im working on a new cutout aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqKWpHrrnU
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Back from the dead

Thanks for posting a detailed install thread. I'm thinking about getting these unless LPP comes up with a new batch.

Or else there is a set of OBX headers that have a 3.5" collector but they are about $400 shipped and I'm lowered quite a bit and I don't know about the bigger collectors, and for $300 or so I'm not worried about modifying them to fit and I should have my k member when I get the new headers. I'm sick of my leaky, rusty, and bashed up hookers
Old 01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah what's up with lpp? They quit making headers because of the flebay headers?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

man i had to install these on a m6 car it wasn't so bad, but then had to on a a4 94 z28 it sucked! great thread though.

Quick Reply: MY Ebay LT Header Install...