LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Do warped blocks happen often? question pertaining to cometic or copper gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do warped blocks happen often? question pertaining to cometic or copper gasket

I plan on building a turbo engine, but am going to use my stock lt1 heads. Hope to get 600rwhp. But later on I will want to add a bit more boost and will use aftermarket heads cause I heard the lt1 head's limit alot of times are around 700rwhp. Now I know over time you can get slight warping of the heads. But what about the block? I plan on using cometic or copper gaskets and if I change heads, will the block have to be resurfaced so I can use cometic or copper gaskets? Or do blocks not typically warp as easy as heads?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've personally never heard of a warped LT1 block. Cracked, sure. Warped, no. At those power levels with that amount of boost I would consider some block fill. I'd also make sure the deck was square.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not warping an iron block at those powerlevels, and stock castings can make well over 700rwhp on boost

Our blocks are extremely strong, shame they can't be stroked further..
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
You're not warping an iron block at those powerlevels, and stock castings can make well over 700rwhp on boost

Our blocks are extremely strong, shame they can't be stroked further..
When I asked about having 700rwhp with the stock LT1 heads in the forced induction forum, their were a few people I think that said the stock LT1 heads are somewhat thin and there would be a good chance I would run into problems.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

nope but always get you block decked though to take care of any core shift that might of happend...as for the surface for the cometics and like a fel pro mls gasket your surface is suppost to be a certain type of finsh..you can do it yourself if you got all the **** out the block an stuff...
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
nope but always get you block decked though to take care of any core shift that might of happend...as for the surface for the cometics and like a fel pro mls gasket your surface is suppost to be a certain type of finsh..you can do it yourself if you got all the **** out the block an stuff...
so get my block decked once I change heads even if I had it already decked with the first set of heads? I will be using cometic on my first set of heads so I will have the block finished correctly then. I wouldn't have to refinish the block again once I changed heads would I?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

if you block is decked then you can just put the finsh on the block that the cometics call for..i for got what it is exactly..you just smooth the top of the block so they have a better mating surfice..a reg gasket will fill in the tiny micro voids but with a mls or a cometic they wont and thats why they call for a certain finsh
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
if you block is decked then you can just put the finsh on the block that the cometics call for..i for got what it is exactly..you just smooth the top of the block so they have a better mating surfice..a reg gasket will fill in the tiny micro voids but with a mls or a cometic they wont and thats why they call for a certain finsh
Yeah I saw the finish type I will need on their website. Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: Do warped blocks happen often? question pertaining to cometic or copper gasket