LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GM race shop block

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only question I have is can we get them or not?
Old 02-16-2013 | 06:34 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

From: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

no, unless you can find someone selling one
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe if Taner would get his hands on one and build a 454LTx going into the 7 seconds maybe he could talk to GM and be like look what these can do. We want them.
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

With GM onto the genV V-8, the 1992-1997 LTx platform would never be considered for re-issue by GM as it's now several generations in the past. 16 years!

There's no aftermarket foundry that will make it. Dart was the closest and they didn't produce it. There are business reasons behind that decision. Sure, maybe there was 40 or so initial orders but they need to sell a certain number monthly to make it even pay for production.

If there's any Bowtie LTx blocks out there, they should be in a museum. Running it would be like running an original ZL1 block from 1969.

Personally, I'd love to see this block available for the LTx community but seriously, it ain't gonna happen.

This is a dead subject.
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:51 PM
Launching!

Just wondering if anyone has broke a LT-1 block yet due to HP?
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree. There are how many different aftermarket (and GM) blocks for sbc & bbc already? They are both far out of production as well. (and admittedly far more popular than the LT1) Not to mention there are 2 aftermarket blocks available for the old 409 W-motor. I think the market is either already there for a better LT1 block....or it will be very soon. Just stop and consider the shear number of LT1 cars still on the road and at the track. If there is a market for several different aftermarket LT1 head castings....as well as plenty of people paying good money to have their stockers ported.....why wouldn't there be a market for a good block?
Old 02-16-2013 | 08:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stefan D.
Just wondering if anyone has broke a LT-1 block yet due to HP?
All of these 400rwhp people worried that they are going to break the LT1 block. How many have you broken now Stefan? I havn't broken one yet myself not that I have not tried.
Old 02-16-2013 | 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

My statement about there being a market wasn't due to the lack of strength of the stock block for most of us. I doubt I'll ever be in the market for an aftermarket block, but I do see plenty of builds that could benefit from one. Being able to step up to a bore over 4.060" to the 4.125"-4.185" range would really open up cylinder head choices for all of those who do put alot of money into this platform....not to mention the fact that it would spur alot of builds to be started. People would be less likely to abandon it also.
Old 02-16-2013 | 08:45 PM
8 Second Club

Then at that point it doesnt even matter that it's an LT1 block just get a DART or Bowtie or Motown and do your build.
Old 02-16-2013 | 08:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
There are how many different aftermarket (and GM) blocks for sbc & bbc already?
We can for the most part answer that question. There are still people purchasing these aftermarket blocks. People are still building on these engines.

When I get to the shows, more cars every week have a Dart or World block. Plus lots of them are big blocks. 20 or so years ago, you'd rarely see a big block at all.

What has me baffled is the aftermarket W blocks. They're heads will never out perform a big block and guys with antique show cars want/need/have GM blocks in their cars-usually the originals. Why are they being made?

I would imagine that one area of aftermarket parts popularity that's on the decline is for the LT1 cars. This would be just one thing that drives a decision by folks like Dart to invest in new tooling.
Old 02-16-2013 | 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
With GM onto the genV V-8, the 1992-1997 LTx platform would never be considered for re-issue by GM as it's now several generations in the past. 16 years!

There's no aftermarket foundry that will make it. Dart was the closest and they didn't produce it. There are business reasons behind that decision. Sure, maybe there was 40 or so initial orders but they need to sell a certain number monthly to make it even pay for production.

If there's any Bowtie LTx blocks out there, they should be in a museum. Running it would be like running an original ZL1 block from 1969.

Personally, I'd love to see this block available for the LTx community but seriously, it ain't gonna happen.

This is a dead subject.
Dart if full of **** and they can go suck it. They just came out with an LSX block of their own in an already saturated market. They are either really bad gamblers or just plain idiots.
Old 02-16-2013 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tomorrow I will go into the Ren Center and demand GM makes a Bowtie LTx block!
Old 02-17-2013 | 06:34 AM
9-Second Club

No offense, but Dick Maskins didn't build Dart to what it is today by being an idiot. He knows the LS market is growing and the LT market is shrinking. 95% of LT owners don't have a lot of money, most bought these cars because they are the fastest car they could afford. They go to the cheapest source for "mods". Many have had these cars a long time and they are a continuing project. Those are the minority. There is a very small market for $4000.00 LT blocks. GM is still building LS Camaro & Corvette vehicles with LS engines. I don't see an end to that any time soon, do you?
I would be surprised if Dart would go into the black with LT block production at 40 block. There is more production cost there than most must realize. Much more money will be made spending that time and resources on LS blocks. Only makes business sense.
Using a Gen1 Bowtie block is not that big a deal. If you are going to actually build something powerful enough to need a block like that there is no reason to keep the Opti, and for certain not the RPM limited factory PCM.
Somebody posted the reverse cooling allowing more compression on pump gas made more power than more cubic inches is very mistaken. That is not the case.
Old 02-17-2013 | 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't saying that more compression from reverse flow cooling would make more power than more cubic inches. I was saying that reverse flow cooling allowed more compression in the LT1 compared to a Gen1 350 block. Stock compared to stock blocks. I was just saying that it would be nice to have that ability with an aftermarket block that allowed the higher compression on pump gas AND more cubic inches.

If there is a market for an aftermarket LT1 block, I don't think it would be for show cars like Paul mentioned or for the serious class racers like you Ed, but for people with expensive LT1 play toys. I know there are thousands of cheap builds out there with budget parts.....and thousands of bad combos with not so cheap parts (edelbrock heads/intakes for example) but there are alot of people with some real money sunk into their LT1.
For all the people that bought their LT1 because it was the cheapest fast car they could afford, there are those who bought it because they just want an LT1 car. Some of us prefer them over the LS1 cars. (For example, I know you could be running something different/more popular Ed) Some people always wanted one from back in their high school days, etc. There are probably 40 people who post on here who have spent enough on their LT1 car to buy a Z06 or Viper. For me, my LT1 stuff is fun but only a second love as far as cars go.
While alot of people prefer a first gen camaro or early Chevelle....or 55-57.....I wouldn't trade my rusty 61 Bel Air for 2 of those. It was my first car and I won't part with it. I run a bbc in it, but if funds allowed it would have one of those aftermarket 409's (at around 511") that you said you saw no point in Paul.
Again, I think it comes down to the volume of LT1 cars out there. Production numbers of these cars dwarf numbers for alot of the older stuff we all love. Out of all those cars most wouldn't consider a $4000 block, but there are several who would.
Old 02-17-2013 | 08:32 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I disagree. There are how many different aftermarket (and GM) blocks for sbc & bbc already?
SBC wise, the Gen I SBC was in production for close to 50 years. Many different makes used this engine. The Gen II SBC was in production for what... 7 years? It went in a handful of different makes. There is still a huge demand for the Gen I and probably always will be. The LT1 and the makes that housed this engine are running full speed down the same path as the Dodo bird.
Old 02-17-2013 | 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z8'S
Then at that point it doesnt even matter that it's an LT1 block just get a DART or Bowtie or Motown and do your build.
While common sense and logic say thats the way to go, and for what I have in my car I could have a *nasty* World 454 SBC setup...there is just something about the LT1 that makes me want to stay with it. Maybe its because so many people think they are boat anchors .

Sounds crazy, but if everyone just did what makes sense for the money we would all have sprayed cam only LS's.
Old 02-17-2013 | 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
While common sense and logic say thats the way to go, and for what I have in my car I could have a *nasty* World 454 SBC setup...there is just something about the LT1 that makes me want to stay with it. Maybe its because so many people think they are boat anchors .

Sounds crazy, but if everyone just did what makes sense for the money we would all have sprayed cam only LS's.
I'm right there with ya .I'm just to stubburn to change formats.When someone told me years ago it couldn't be done That was when I knew I had to prove them wrong. There are a lot SBC's making big power so no reason it cant happen with the LT1 . We'll see what happens this season.
Old 02-17-2013 | 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
Sounds crazy, but if everyone just did what makes sense for the money we would all have ....
nothing but boring POS economy boxes that are gay.

Fixed
Old 02-17-2013 | 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to be a dick:

http://www.dartheads.com/dartboard/s...ead.php?t=1039
Old 02-17-2013 | 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Lol I bumped it.

Originally Posted by Z8'S
There are a lot SBC's making big power so no reason it cant happen with the LT1 . We'll see what happens this season.
Love the new sig .

Quick Reply: GM race shop block