LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

died in mid route

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Location: Cold upstate Newyork roads unworthy for a lowerd camaro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default died in mid route

My car just shut ooff while I was driving now it won't start my obvious first thougt is opti spark turns over an starts to fire but doesn't. Should I buy msd
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Same thing just happened to me, while idling in the parking lot it just shut off had to wait about 10-15 then it would start. Then again on the way to my dads house made it 19 miles then it just shut off at 90 MPH, again waited 10-15 min then it would start. Did all the checks (Coil, ICM) Checked for codes.. This is what I found. 16-low resolution pulse, 41-no ignition control circuit, open signal circuit from distributor, 42- ignition control circuit (replace the ICM or ECM/PCM). and 51- PROM/EEPROM error (Diagnosis by dealer). I have a MSD Opti, took it apart found a small amount of oil in the bottom of the Opti (oil got on the optical eye) called MSD asked if that could be the problem and if I could just wipe it off and re=install, they said yes but it could still act the same way. Called Summit still under warranty they sent me a new one replaced Opti runs like a champ.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Funny you mentioned the oil in the opti because the other main reason I think its the opti is because oil has been dripping out from the opti for about 800miles and I knew it would eventually kill it just didn't wanna spend the money til I had to.. guess I hav e to now nwhat kinda power you putting out I've been told the msd opti is pretty good at handleing the power and revs my guess is the stock opti seal couldn't handle the rpms cuz I really let mine breath if you know what I mean
Old 05-28-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cucui
Same thing just happened to me, while idling in the parking lot it just shut off had to wait about 10-15 then it would start. Then again on the way to my dads house made it 19 miles then it just shut off at 90 MPH, again waited 10-15 min then it would start. Did all the checks (Coil, ICM) Checked for codes.. This is what I found. 16-low resolution pulse, 41-no ignition control circuit, open signal circuit from distributor, 42- ignition control circuit (replace the ICM or ECM/PCM). and 51- PROM/EEPROM error (Diagnosis by dealer). I have a MSD Opti, took it apart found a small amount of oil in the bottom of the Opti (oil got on the optical eye) called MSD asked if that could be the problem and if I could just wipe it off and re=install, they said yes but it could still act the same way. Called Summit still under warranty they sent me a new one replaced Opti runs like a champ.
How did the o-rings on the opti drive pin look? They nick and tear easily (and leak) if you're not careful installing the dist.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

I've been running an ACCEL unit with no probs the last couple of years, my original went 132K. For your o-rings, put Vaseline or some plain ol' petroleum jelly on them an it will save you from F-ing them up.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

^^ Precisely... Vaseline, that is.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Well to tell the truth, I think that the reason the Opti failed was me, had oil leaking from the front of the engine so I sprayed it down with brake cleaner (so that I could see were the oil was coming from). the only thing is when I pulled the opti off , the rubber seal was pinched allowing oil to get in, but don’t tell summit Racing.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

when changeing the opti is it possible to be 180* out ive never changed 1 but im not dummy ive worked on cars for many years and i restore cars for a living. so i know how to take **** apart and put it back together but hey lets face it i may be an excellent body man but ace mechanic i am not.......i know thers a small pin for the timing but can this pin be set in improperly ie. 180* out
Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I don’t know, my Opti would only fit on one way. I took off the cap and rotor and used lock tight on the two small screws to the rotor (piece of mind) it also makes it easier to move the rotor to get it in place. I put some RTV on the out side of the Opti to keep sh*t out (again piece of mind). If it was 180* the it would have to come from the manufacturer that way, I really don’t think it is possible to install it 180*. This has been the 3rd time that I have taken the Opti off so I would have to say I’m getting good at it.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

another thing for me to think about if i turn my key and hear my fuel pump odds are its working right.....its fairly new and i wouldnt think it would **** out that fast but just a thought
Old 05-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by White95m6Z28
another thing for me to think about if i turn my key and hear my fuel pump odds are its working right.....its fairly new and i wouldnt think it would **** out that fast but just a thought
Yes its work but doesnt mean it pumping cause the hose on it could be bad.