LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sleeper LT1 - best set up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sleeper LT1 - best set up?

What or who has the best sleeper LT1 set up? I’m talking about a better than LS performing LT1, with no obvious outward indications that it’s been upgraded. Obviously a catback is going to be a part of any setup so that can be one exception. Stuff like upgraded brakes are okay so long as they work with the stock wheels and don’t scream upgrade. I’ve got more money than time (but not a bunch of either) and for the last two years I’ve thought about going the with the $10k 350 Lingenfelter build, especially since they have a good warranty and I’m looking for a good balance between reliability and upgraded performance.

Why do this? Because I like the looks of a clean, stock LT1, I like the looks of the LT1 a LOT better than the LS1, my current LT1 is paid for, has low miles and I’ve already done a few non-visible upgrades, and I don’t like the new Camaro (plus we’re talking about $10k versus $30k). Notice that I didn’t mention any numbers (1/4, 0-60) since I’m just thinking about performance close to a current Camaro.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better than LS performing? LMAO sounds like you have a LOT of research to do.

WTF exactly are you trying to accomplish.

You realize there's everything from 15 second ls1's to 7 second ls1's dont you?

Are you asking what will make it beat a stock ls1?

Bolt ons and a tune.

If you're asking anything more than that, the question is so subjective it cant possibly be answered without more info.

Here's the order of progression for most people.

Bolt ons
cam or
cam and heads
power adder

That's it. There's ALWAYS gonna be something faster, but HONESTLY I rarely run across an ls powered vehicle that I cant dispatch fairly easily with my car and it's cam only. Really pisses them off too. Then if I need it I have a bottle on top of that. Usually dont but for some ls cars I do. and some ls cars would still hand me my ***. Just like there are tons of LT cars that would hand me my ***..
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

gregrob:

Yep, I know it's a fairly broad question. I also know it doesn't take much to get to LS1 performance, but I'm looking for a little better than that. Close to, but doesn't have to beat, LS2 - LS3 power, but again, the key is sleeper status with decent reliability. That's why the Lingenfelter looks like a good deal.

Having said all of that, I just checked and C5 Vettes are running close to $20k in my area, but like I stated, I'd like the idea of a stealth, stock-looking LT1.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Better than LS performing? LMAO sounds like you have a LOT of research to do.

WTF exactly are you trying to accomplish.
chillll man. its good u try to help allot of people but.. more and more LTx people are startin to avoid tech because of some of the attitudes in this section.

OP- FYI: most of that $10k price tag is for the name, u could spend less and get more from some of the engine builders on here at least check out some of the sponsors and see what they have to say first.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
OP- FYI: most of that $10k price tag is for the name, u could spend less and get more from some of the engine builders on here at least check out some of the sponsors and see what they have to say first.
I think you get where I'm going with this. I know Lingenfelter is priced high, but they are one of the few places that basically have turn-key "drop it off, pick it up" LT1 upgrades, I like the fact that they go over the entire block and components and they are considered a quality company. I looked at Livernois Motorsport's web page (Livernois is about five miles from my house), and like a lot of big shops, it looks like the LT1 is considered an ugly step child. What I DON'T want is a Golan-type deal.

The hardest part of this again is keeping it pretty much looking stock. No electric water pump, oversize valve covers, stuff like that.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

get from advanced induction there forged 383 bottom end kit. with a set of there 200cc heads and a mild cam... who would suspect anything from that ?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
The hardest part of this again is keeping it pretty much looking stock. No electric water pump, oversize valve covers, stuff like that.

ahahahahahahahah.

oversize valve covers = race car
Old 05-29-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build a 396, buy the RHS heads I have in the for sale section. Max out a stock intake. Bead blast and paint a monoblade, paint some 42 lb injectors black. Put a sleeper cam in (call Bret Bauer) and all the bolt ons.....you can have some REAL fun with that!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

im just messin with you man. if your going for "sleeper" something with loud exhaust, and an aggressive cam, is not a sleeper. throw some gears in it, bolt ons, spray it with a tune.

all stuff that can be done without anyone knowing, no one can make you pop your hood if thats what your worried about it, and wire loom your nitrous
Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever happened to Victory racing engines?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

id say something like a le1 set up with a small cam would be the way to go. you got to think the new ls3 puts out 430 hp. they dyno a around 360-370 rwhp.

so if you can get that out of the car and have a weight advantage which you will then you should be good to go. the le1 set up is going to get you the closest with out giving it away to much. At least it seems that way on paper. more experienced people could probably chime in.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well those who know me know that I'm a big fan and long term test dummy for Lingenfelter. I have one of their 383 packages built in 1995 and it still screams. The package, while a bit pricey, includes top end parts and and even more top end install and attention to detail. The cam they use in their 383 packages is a weenie 211/219 .533/.560 lift emissions legal design and idles almost like a stocker. I since switched to a slightly more aggressive yet still weenie custom from Erson, but you get the idea. With my original unmolested LPE 383 kit, stock wheels with DRs, 3.73s and a Vig 3600 it ran high 11s all day at 115-117 mph and looked stock except for the headers, cat back, and LPE cold air kit. And you could and still can, drive it anywhere. Folks used to walk right passed my car at shows, the track, etc...It wasn't until the board lit up at the big end of the track did people even give it a second look..

Either package is a good idea, but I'm partial to the 383 because a properly built 383 will slide the powerband down a few hundred rpm and consequently you wont need to spin the thing to the moon to make power...My hp and tq curves are very flat with lots of area under the curves...

--Alan
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car is definitely a sleeper, its got a bone stock interior and exterior with salad shooters and a v6 style catback w/ a large magnaflow muffler. its a mild 396 and is really fast. cams a 236/244 112 so it has some lump but honestly the motor is louder then the exhaust. you can hear the valvetrain and the fans when i pull up to a place, but ive seen some friends after i bought the car and got "was that rob in that junk v6 camaro?" haha
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems taking a 5th gen, especially if it has 20's. I saw one at the track the other day that had a best run of 14.8 @ 101.4 (not spinning). I was not very impressed. I could beat that time, and I'm pretty much stock.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

ls7 swap should get you there
Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Just do some simple bolt ons, and spray it Mine has run with 11.20 cars from a roll, and has very little done to it. (stock converter in my car, doesn't launch well)
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A buddy of mine had longtubes with ory and the 4" mufflex exhaust. Sounds pretty tame even with an lt4 hot cam. The LT4 hot cam is probably the tamest sounding aftermarket cam you can get. Honestly, until he revs it, it's almost unnoticeable. Besides that, the person who said bolt-ons and spray couldn't be more right, haha.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy's dad has a '92 vette with a shift kit, cutouts, 3.73 gears, and a 150 shot and he runs 11.70's all day long and the thing is silent! now that's a sleeper!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Village Troll

Received 529 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
That's why the Lingenfelter looks like a good deal.
Very nice package with quality parts. I have the LT4 CNC heads/intake and ran the 211/219 cam for 70,000 miles. That cam is extremely tame. You will not notice any lope if you run cats and will barely notice any if running ORY. Car dynoed 370/350 with Hooker LT's/ORY and 12-bolt. Ran a best of 12.09 @ 115.5 in a 3750lb car on ET Streets on 16" '97 wheels. I pissed off a lot of people with that setup. Great fun. Now my LPE heads/inake are on my 396 solid roller, without any extra port work and support power up to 6800rpm.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
A buddy of mine had longtubes with ory and the 4" mufflex exhaust. Sounds pretty tame even with an lt4 hot cam. The LT4 hot cam is probably the tamest sounding aftermarket cam you can get. Honestly, until he revs it, it's almost unnoticeable. Besides that, the person who said bolt-ons and spray couldn't be more right, haha.
idk personally I think the crane 227 is tamer sounding

Quick Reply: Sleeper LT1 - best set up?