LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone still runnings Delteqs???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone still runnings Delteqs???

I was reading about these when they first came out in production and over the years hearing bad brain boxes going bad issues. Along with the brain boxes going bad the company is no longer in business due to the owners health. So that being said replacement parts are extinct. The design was well thought out and did cure alot of ignition side of the optis bad design and longevity. I was just curious if anyone is still running them on this forum and how long they have had them and mileage spand so far. Im going to be building my motor shortly and trying to keep messing the opti limited as i dont want to pull it apart again to do one shortly after so i was looking at picking one up.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are competent you wont have many opti issues. Judging by you mod list though you may well have issues.

If you have top spend a lot of money to overcomplicate the system and have a tiny bit smoother idle the LTCC always was the better designed unit.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Im well aware a properly running opti is always the best route but the problem is there is always the bad batch of opti's that give it the bad name it has. Been down that road as many other can attest to owning an LT1. Problem is no one can trust an opti to last and im looking at possibly picking up an LTCC or Delteq if the price was right to help make things last longer. Mine lasted well over 205k and replaced it will a new GM unit and loctited the rotor screws and sealed it up still moisture got in and well thats all it takes. Its okay some people swear by running an opti so im not trying to start a never ending thread. Just want to drive my car not pulling it apart.

As for my setup i know you dont think its capable but thats why its my car and not yours to worry about. I plan on rebuilding the bottom for high compression so i can run the 64cc heads and have a motor capable of making good bottom end power. Thanks for replying again.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running one and ZERO issues for over 4 years. True, I only drive my car 4-500 miles a year at most, but I love it. Dread the day the brain goes dead, but I'm planning on it happening eventually.

If you wanna spend the cash go with the LS1 computer conversion as it has wayyyy more tunability and lots of guys love it. There is also LTCC, as well, but you still have to rely on the CPS from the opti as with the Delteq setup.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know some people say the opti isn’t as bad as it seems but I’ve had three optis over the past 2 ½ years, with less than 8k miles on the car. I installed the first one myself but it turned out to be a “fake” eBay opti, which was DOA after 300 miles. I had that one replaced with an AC/Delco opti, installed by a mechanic, which ended up being DOA after about 5k miles when a car wash attendant blasted it with a pressure washer. I had that one again replaced by a mechanic and it’s running fine except for a recent incident where it was raining hard and I got the dreaded stumble and SES. I just let it dry out and it’s running fine, but I won’t take a long trip in my car if there is any chance of a heavy rain.

Point is, unfortunately it seems like it’s a “hit and miss” thing with optis. A stock part shouldn’t have to be modified for it to work correctly and they seem to go whether a pro or a shade tree mechanic installs it. I read a lot of LT-1 related forums and the opti by far is the number one complaint about the motor. It’s too bad no one has come up with an inexpensive “true” opti replacement.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Prime example of competence being the missing link.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Elaborate???
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Now Now Now, be nice.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

aw ****, dont get him started. although he does have a point
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha

I have not touched my opti in over 3 years and 60k miles. Miami likes to flood alot. Ive had water over my hood numerous times from misjudged puddles. Car has never once batted an eye. Do it right with quality parts, time and cleanliness.

If you really want to abandon the opti, yank the engine and go with a distributor or install a MSD ignition system with a crank trigger. Anyway you look at it, a properly installed/maintained Opti is going to be cheaper.

Long Live The OptiSpark!

EDIT: Ill sell you one guaranteed to last, long as you don't hit it with 4500 psi of water.

Last edited by BlownEarDrums; 06-28-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownEarDrums
Haha

I have not touched my opti in over 3 years and 60k miles. Miami likes to flood alot. Ive had water over my hood numerous times from misjudged puddles. Car has never once batted an eye. Do it right with quality parts, time and cleanliness.

If you really want to abandon the opti, yank the engine and go with a distributor or install a MSD ignition system with a crank trigger. Anyway you look at it, a properly installed/maintained Opti is going to be cheaper.

Long Live The OptiSpark!

EDIT: Ill sell you one guaranteed to last, long as you don't hit it with 4500 psi of water.
Or leave the LT1 in place where it belongs and get the EFI connections setup (as already stated) and convert over to the LS1 PCM. Kit is very very pricey but it comes with a new timing cover, crank trigger, PCM, etc...

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

Also, here is a thread of a guy doing one now:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ions-****.html

Quick Reply: Anyone still runnings Delteqs???