LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

are LT1s worth it expert advice or any advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexcoreas
Yea mAn he was like write me a blank check and ill fix it. Wtf. Mikes Corvette can do the lt1. His Rep is great from what my friend and how people talk about him. I'm going Friday at around 12 pm. I love my car and he had the nerve to say piece of **** motor gm has ever made wtf. He has a 95 but he said he has money so its not a biggie. Fuc him. LTXBOI U MUST LIVE IN LA RIGHT (310) WHERE DO U GO? How are Elliot's heads and cam I hear great things
yessir.i live in west l.a i usually take my car to huntington beach power train dynamics for tunes and anahiem for motor work if i can't do it myself!!! but you have r.e.t downey.std southgate...etc.... my guy that i do business with can do it located in culver city but he is high as girrafe pu$$y!!!! keep me posted whether you need a tune or motorwork?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP... pm with what you're trying to do and I'll help you out. I know some good shops and some great LTx shadetree mechanics if you're not up to doing this stuff yourself. Honestly, if you want to save a few thousand in labor do it yourself, and I'll help ya out for gas money and beer.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car gets DD in the summer. It has 156,000 on it now. Ya it needs some little things but no way would I put 9k into an LSX swap. For 3k you could build a hell of a LT1.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
OP... pm with what you're trying to do and I'll help you out. I know some good shops and some great LTx shadetree mechanics if you're not up to doing this stuff yourself. Honestly, if you want to save a few thousand in labor do it yourself, and I'll help ya out for gas money and beer.
Op i feel this would be the best opportunity for you. I dont know wicked94 personally but have read his posts and he seems to know these cars well. I need to find a friend in St. Louis like this guy.. haha
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I live close to Culver city. I honestly don't want a drag car I love highway pulls.I don't want 600 rwhp just around 450 rwhp. The reason I want to go to a mechanic is because I lack motor skills to do it myself but my gfs uncle does ill have him show me the ropes. I need mechanic work, my car makes a ticking noise from the passanger side header area. And that's my only problem I can't figure out. :-( and I need a tune.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LTXBOI
yessir.i live in west l.a i usually take my car to huntington beach power train dynamics for tunes and anahiem for motor work if i can't do it myself!!! but you have r.e.t downey.std southgate...etc.... my guy that i do business with can do it located in culver city but he is high as girrafe pu$$y!!!! keep me posted whether you need a tune or motorwork?
someone wanna translate this for me?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I dont get why people say that lt1s are bad.its a sbc with the opti,you go to any racetrack and what are 70% of the cars there running, sbcs.all the parts are cheap(cranks,rods pistons,etc).I have a built 97 firebird, le heads and cam,bla,bla,bla and I beat ls1 cars all the time.granted there are lots of fast ls based cars out there but there are lots of fast lt1 cars too!!!
oh and I built my car for about 5000 including the car,and its my only car so I drive it everyday.

ps. lt1 cars love spray
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wanna spray my car too, but I want to achive the 400 area rwhp na then hit the bottle. Parts are cheap but we have ******** like haddad. Who shoot or try to shoot dreams. I love my lt1
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I think I would have slapped that guy for a lack of respect all together! I wouldn't advise you to bring him any business.

I have an LT1 as a daily driver and as long as the car is maintained it will last. Now, that applies for the entire car.

There are plenty of people on this forum who are more then happy to offer advice to get you to your 4XXrwhp goal.

But, for $9K you could keep your block- add a LE H/C package with 1.6 roller rockers, LE ported and polished your intake manifold for $210, a complete emissions friendly exhaust(SINCE YOU ARE IN CA), throw in a nice Yank stall, and some gears and still have the money for a great set of tires and you would still be under your budget!!

And tune it for that application.

But, why spend all that money for a new power train? and only get 325 hp?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea ur right. I have a 6 speed I am going 4.10 tomorrow. I don't care for smog I have a Guy for that. I just want to do things right the first time. You guys are great help
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 96!!!!!!!!!! I checked my vin this whole time I thought it was a 95 . I have an obd2 is that better
Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

As a previous lt1 owner i would never go back to that pile of an engine. I hate to say it but it's true the lsx is light years ahead of that optispark garbage. I spent so much money on the lt1 it wasnt funny,everytime i would drive across town something else would break. I had headers,cam, tune,built trans and still couldnt run a better time than my near stock ls1 ws6. Not trying to dog the lt1 crowd but i just had horrible experiences with the ltx platform.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RED94Z28
As a previous lt1 owner i would never go back to that pile of an engine. I hate to say it but it's true the lsx is light years ahead of that optispark garbage. I spent so much money on the lt1 it wasnt funny,everytime i would drive across town something else would break. I had headers,cam, tune,built trans and still couldnt run a better time than my near stock ls1 ws6. Not trying to dog the lt1 crowd but i just had horrible experiences with the ltx platform.
Now now, just because the LT1 hated you, doesn't make it complete garbage
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The LSx was born in the modern computer age where hundreds of changes can be made and multiple simulations run per hour, all on a distributed computing platform ("cluster"). The LTx was born in the late 80s as an evolution of 30 year old technology. Real world testing allowed for long-documented standards to be shaped on best engineering guesses. But they had to take their ancient (in computer design terms) CAD drawings, prototype parts, build an engine, and test it. Today you can do all that on a computer in 10 minutes to see if it's good or it's crap before you go to foundry.

LTx= slide rule
LSX= graphing calculator
Basic Math= unchanged

I still like to do my own math. And I like stomping LSx with my LT1.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Like i said that is just my opinion. If you guys had the luck i did with the lt1 you would have switched to the lsx.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

LSx's should be better than LTx's or GM ain't doing something right. I have an LT1 Z28 that I bought new, and plan to keep forever. It may not be as fast as an LS1, or respond to mods as well as an LS1, but it doesn't look like a catfish either. In my case, the car also has sentimental value. If you have something you like, and enjoy, who cares what anyone else thinks. That's my take.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RED94Z28
Most people that make the claim about an Lt1 such as this could not get it to run properly and will most likely have the same results with something else.. Not slamming you RED94Z28 just your statement

I like all the chevy platforms as i have worked on and owned them..
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I love the lt1 body or front clip shark looking. So the problem I had with my car is just a header gasket. Not the opti fixing it tomorrow I'm dead tired today

Quick Reply: are LT1s worth it expert advice or any advice welcome