LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010 | 04:12 PM

Well after removing the drivers side header for the 5 time it's finally in for the last time. Had to notch the k-member and bend the header around the steering shaft. Installed the passenger side and had to pull it back out to persuade one of the pipes to fit. Went to put it back in and they didn't send me all the header bolts. AHHH!!! Hope to have it done by tomorrow night.
Old 08-12-2010 | 10:03 PM

There done!!! Thank you all!!
Old 08-12-2010 | 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you got a set that fits good. Consider yourself lucky, ill be installing mine this weekend and hope it goes as good as yours.
Old 08-12-2010 | 11:32 PM

This is the end result!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Installing headers-p1010942.jpg   Installing headers-p1010946.jpg   Installing headers-p1010951.jpg   Installing headers-p1010953.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010 | 11:06 AM
8 Second Club

OUCH! I feel bad for those primaries!
Old 08-13-2010 | 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not trying to bash you or any one else.

but seriously how good could that be for flow or even your engine. you have two primaries that i would think are flowing less then the other primaries which would mean that air flowing through those cylinders would be less then the others.

im no expert maybe im completly wrong here.
Old 08-13-2010 | 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn thats a tight fit.
Old 08-13-2010 | 05:31 PM

I don't like having to do this to my pipes but
1. They won't fit if I don't.
2. There better than the stock manifolds
3. I really can't see this making that much of a difference, if you really think about it!
Old 08-13-2010 | 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

haha OMG those fit like CRAP!
Old 08-13-2010 | 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I'll bet they come on and off easily now with all the clearing you did.

Why do you have 2 different types of headerbolts?

That should still be a big improvement over stock with all the denting, and you really can't see it from the topside anyway.

I don't like bad fitting headers but when you take in how much those stainless headers cost, it really not the worse deal, even with all the hoops you had to go thru to get them to fit.

The biggest ? for the OP is are you glad you did it or not?

Dub
Old 08-13-2010 | 07:51 PM

They didn't send me all the header bolt so I had to buy some from AZ. I'm am happy I did this plus they look sweet from the top!!!
Old 08-13-2010 | 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Dude, how many headers have you installed before? There was no need to bash those like you did, thats ridiculous. In the event that indeed those are impossible to fit without all that damage the best thing would have been to send them back.
Old 08-13-2010 | 08:40 PM

Dude, I would of loved to send them back but I don't have 3 weeks to wait for the replacements. I really didn't intend them to end up like that but the frustration after putting them in and out 5 times didn't help things. Plus you can't tell from the top so I really don't give a ****!!

Last edited by rangerguy; 08-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2010 | 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

I just got done installing these headers on my 94 and it looks like they fit a little better than yours out of the box but not much. I only had to dent one spot on the passenger side and on the drivers side I took a little off the steering knuckle so i didnt have dent in the #1 tube as much as you did. Only took about 4 hours to get them to fit nice so for the price I would buy them again if I do another car.
Old 08-13-2010 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 94redz28
I just got done installing these headers on my 94 and it looks like they fit a little better than yours out of the box but not much. I only had to dent one spot on the passenger side and on the drivers side I took a little off the steering knuckle so i didnt have dent in the #1 tube as much as you did. Only took about 4 hours to get them to fit nice so for the price I would buy them again if I do another car.
I'm glad yours fit better than mine. I'm sure I could of made mine look a bit better, just got frustrated. Did your y pipe fit ok, I ended up have a muffler shop put mine on cause it needed to be tweaked a little bit.
Old 08-13-2010 | 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

If you were like some on here and only took pics from the top only, all you would gotten is praise on they look great, funny isn't. I do think you may have went a little over the top on the denting, but its your car as long as they appeal to you, your good. Then again I was not there and did not see the problems so I can't make any other observation on the install other than what you inform us. Most dents do not affect a bolt on car at all ever. So have you ever installed a set of headers before? And would you do it the same way again?
Good Luck and hope your future upgrades are not laborious, but don't count on the LT1 to be any more co-operative than the headers were. They just like the attention.

Dub
Old 08-13-2010 | 10:51 PM

I have installed headers on small blocks and big blocks. Those were older cars with all the room in the world. I will be the first to admit I could of done a better job but I got frustrated. You are definitely right, if I would of just shown the top pics they would tell me how great they looked. I would love to see a dyno run with my headers VS Ones that are not dented. I would bet money that there would not be a difference. People are funny in the way they think. But that is life!!
Old 08-14-2010 | 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rangerguy
I have installed headers on small blocks and big blocks. Those were older cars with all the room in the world. I will be the first to admit I could of done a better job but I got frustrated. You are definitely right, if I would of just shown the top pics they would tell me how great they looked. I would love to see a dyno run with my headers VS Ones that are not dented. I would bet money that there would not be a difference. People are funny in the way they think. But that is life!!
yah mine fit like crap to i said f it and sold them to some one else. i didn't want to bash the primaries all to hell. so i out the stock manifold back on and sold them to someone else. if your happy with them thats all that matters

i dont think its funny to think it will run different. think about taking a garden hose and pinching in and seeing how the water comes out. one of the points of having long tubes the whole point is to have equal length tubes so that all cylinders flow smooth and evenly. but i also agree that you wouldn't probably see a huge difference on a dyno but i could be wrong. the pictures could be deceiving to.
Old 08-14-2010 | 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

What type of hammer did you use to bash yours in? I used a rawhide type hammer and it did a great job denting smooth and even. I only had to clear 1/8" to 1/4", how much do you think you dented yours in? Also why didnt you grind a little on the steering knuckle since it is pretty thick?
Old 08-14-2010 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adam1203
yah mine fit like crap to i said f it and sold them to some one else. i didn't want to bash the primaries all to hell. so i out the stock manifold back on and sold them to someone else. if your happy with them thats all that matters

i dont think its funny to think it will run different. think about taking a garden hose and pinching in and seeing how the water comes out. one of the points of having long tubes the whole point is to have equal length tubes so that all cylinders flow smooth and evenly. but i also agree that you wouldn't probably see a huge difference on a dyno but i could be wrong. the pictures could be deceiving to.
If you take a garden hose and pinch it in the middle you will see a very little change, pinch it at the end and big change. I really think the pics look worse than it really is. I will agree that if I was running 7 or 8 hundred horsepower it would make a difference, not on a stock motor though..

Last edited by rangerguy; 08-14-2010 at 01:39 PM.